Sign in to follow this  
chimera

low vs super low springs?

Whats is the actual difference in mm drop between low springs and super low springs?

Is there an actual measurement between the two?

Or have I completely missed something here?!!!

Cheers

Edited by chimera

What kind of springs? for which car?

got an E36 323i, springs are shot, car is uneven left to right, front to back (all different!)

looking at replacing with something but dont wanna spend a fortune.

considering the jamex on tm.

How uneven are we talking here? All E36's have somewhat of a "gangsta lean" to one side. Nothing to worry about.

How uneven are we talking here? All E36's have somewhat of a "gangsta lean" to one side. Nothing to worry about.

yeah, so I just read here on one of the posts.

its more the uneven front/back that i hate. the back tyres are inside the guard whereas the front tyres have about 60mm clearance to the guard. looks and handles like crap. had a mechanic check it he reckons the shocks are ok, just the springs are shot. wanting it more even all around.

Again, don't all E36s have the rears in the guard and the fronts with heaps of clearance? mine did...

Again, don't all E36s have the rears in the guard and the fronts with heaps of clearance? mine did...

Great, that response seems to be consistant with many other replies on this forum :rolleyes: That wasn't what I was asking.

Sorry - just thought it may have been a simple question... So if I were to re-word, would a 45mm drop be ok and still warrantable? Or are there other factors to consider?

Edited by chimera

Do a search!

I have all the answers but not willing to write it all up again as I have done so a couple of times in the recent past.

PM me if you have any general questions.

Edited by 3 SERIES

Do a search!

I have all the answers but not willing to write it all up again as I have done so a couple of times in the recent past.

PM me if you have any general questions.

I've done a search otherwise I wouldn't have asked. Nothing what can find relates to a comparison between low and super low. The other issue is when finding a relevant post, having to wade through pages of off-topic responses to the original question. Seems a few members here go off on a tangent occasionally :D Hence why I thought it easier just to ask...

Not to mention I thought it would be quite a straight forward answer...

I'll just try google next time :P

I put some Kings Super lows in the front, they were good for a while, then they settled so much after a few months that it bearly scraped through a wof. So i took them out (sitting in a gaurage) and bought some H&R lows, these site a what i think are the perfect height! no scraping under the car, and no play around the shocks. And no doubting when you go to get a wof.

I think the diff was Superlows 45-50mm and lows 35-40mm drop. Ive seen them stated slightly differant between brands.

I put some Kings Super lows in the front, they were good for a while, then they settled so much after a few months that it bearly scraped through a wof. So i took them out (sitting in a gaurage) and bought some H&R lows, these site a what i think are the perfect height! no scraping under the car, and no play around the shocks. And no doubting when you go to get a wof.

I think the diff was Superlows 45-50mm and lows 35-40mm drop. Ive seen them stated slightly differant between brands.

thank you! that gives me some idea, cheers.

...eh, and now I find the big in my face post at the top of this forum about "lowering your car for dummies" - no wonder I couldn't search for it its an image :lol:http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=14472

Edited by chimera

got jamex springs, i guess you could consider it superlow (45mm) looks good, although handles a damn sight better. stoked!

Thanks for coming in today for your Jamex springs, good to meet you and a nice car too!! And you got the hell deal too!!! Well done!!

Thanks mate, much appreciated - it most definately drives (and looks) better! Oh and thanks for the great price, thats half what my mechanic quoted! :D

Thanks mate, much appreciated - it most definately drives (and looks) better! Oh and thanks for the great price, thats half what my mechanic quoted! :D

[/quot

Got any pics ?,was also thinking of putting jamex superlows in my e36.

I currently have factory msport suspension with 18" but still think the front could come down a little and tighten up the handling!!

post-4120-1240977793_thumb.jpg

Mine has jamex springs! and after market shocks in the front , it is legal , but scrapes alot , drives mint! doesnt bounce much at all!

i got told jamex springs are crap but they seem to be doing just fine in my car!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jamex's are softer than M-sport.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jamex's are softer than M-sport.

Tested them side by side have you?

Why do people continue to make comments like this without having the proof to back them up?

I thought I had qualified it reasonably well.

OK. I'll put it a different way.

The three cars I have driven with Jamex springs were all:

1) low, but unfortunately...

2) not particularly stiffly sprung.

It's kind of the worst of both worlds. Since it's only my impressions I don't have proof. I think its because Jamex makes springs that lower the car a lot but are also captive, which ends up being a low spring rate.

Maybe you can clear it up - what is the Jamex spring rate vs the M3 rate?

Edited by CamB

Stolen from bimmerforums

Here are the spring rates of various springs for the E36 M3:

Spring -> Front Rate -> Rear Rate

Stock E36 M3 ->105 ->335

LTW E36 M3 ->138 ->402

Eibach Pro Kit M3 ->148 ->428

Sachs M3 coilovers ->215 ->395

H&R 29910 (Sport) ->200 -> 380

H&R 29910 DTM(Race) -> 345 ->515

H&R Coilover ->340 -> 380

Dinan ->150 ->400

Havnt been able to find the jamex spring rates

And the only reviews I found were pre '05, they were very mixed rewiews

Edited by jordy

which is it? The m-sport rate or the M3 rate? :)

Progressive rate springs will feel different to normal springs.

I really can't be bothered going into the full technical details about spring rates etc as it will be a very long winded post :lol:

My main point was really concerning the inordinate amount of posts that have been surfacing on bimmersport recently that are factually baseless and almost bordering on libel.

I know of one topic on here that has lawyers looking into it.

Does it involve me?

I know of one topic on here that has lawyers looking into it.

Oh no the lounge is in trouble already :lol:

which is it? The m-sport rate or the M3 rate? :)

Jamex of course. Multiple sources of info on the web for BMW's own spring rates, including measurements. If there is a difference between 6 cylinder M-sport and M3 rates by all means share them too.

In my original post I stated a qualified opinion. If you actually know the Jamex spring rates it would be a good opportunity to share them.

Further, the internets is littered with complaints about Jamex being soft, and no small number of instances where Jamex or its distributors won't supply or doesn't know its own spring rates.

All I want to know is some lb/in. Its the relevant question - not "how much lower will my car be".

This isn't rocket science - the springs go in a machine, it compresses them, you measure the rate. It's not a secret.

Edited by CamB