Sign in to follow this  
tigermoth

m50 TURBO

hey guys

im in the middle of a turbo conversion for e36 320i, got turbo manifold and down pipe made for top mount etc, just about to sort out the fuel issue, got hold of sum 325cc m3 injectors, FPR and walbro 600HP pump. heads been skimed and valves replaced along with a new MLS gasket and APR head studs.

1) is there anyone that has had experience with turbo m50's

2) any issues and problems you've incounted etc

3) and tuning, decided to go with a piggyback ecu but is there anyone in the country that has experience in tuning bmw's?

im new to this so if you guys could point me in the right direction or give me some pointers

cheers rich

3) and tuning, decided to go with a piggyback ecu but is there anyone in the country that has experience in tuning bmw's?

Can the piggyback control spark (retarding under boost)?

Which city are you in?

Edited by CamB

If you're in Aucks, see Gavin Bellars at Hi-Velocity on the Shore, best there is.

Most descent performance tuners should be able to tune your BMW.. My tuner said he will have no trouble but has to start from scratch with the LINK as there is no basemaps available for bimmers..

Luke

in wgtn, ...Silver Fox...i take it urve had experience with hi velocity. how were they?

being in wgtn, ive looked at "the chequed flag" and "speedtech" and altho they kno there sh*t, non of them have had experience with bmw's, mayb im just being a lil padantic about it.as for timing under boost, the piggyback ecu's ahve no prob altho no one can answer weither the VANOS can be adjusted with the piggyback ecu or will i still have to run it off the standard ecu

Gavin's very good, #14, Paul Olson may be able to put you onto someone in Windytoon.

Edited by Silver Fox

If its piggyback why does it need to control vanos? Won't the existing computer still do it?

Either way I think its only a switch on single vanos, so if the piggyback can do VTEC (etc) then it could do Vanos. Which piggyback are you thinking?

If its piggyback why does it need to control vanos? Won't the existing computer still do it?

Either way I think its only a switch on single vanos, so if the piggyback can do VTEC (etc) then it could do Vanos. Which piggyback are you thinking?

i want to adjust the vanos with the torque curve, try and do a run with vanos and then without and where the torgue curves cross is where the vanos should kik in. i dont kno if this is totally correct so feel free to rite me. ahvent decided on a particular piggyback ecu yet, still shoping around to see what ecu can do compared to X Y Z etc.

Have you looked at using MegaSquirt from the states? Im not very famliar with it but im sure its relatively cheaper than the next step up like Link or the likes.. Depends how much you are willing to spend.

Guest FrantiC

Megasquirt is all DIY too.. And can be run piggyback or full fuel / spark control. I don't think it can be used to control valve timing though.

Megasquirt is all DIY too.. And can be run piggyback or full fuel / spark control. I don't think it can be used to control valve timing though.

Ah ok never really looked into megasquirt, would rather just go all out and purchase an aftermarket replacement ECU. Of course that gets a bit pricey but so worth it in the long run.

Luke

MAPECU.COM

ive already tuned a bmw with it and putting one in my turbo m20 2.5 and another into my 318i,

very easy to tune and does lots of other things like switchable tables,launch control,boost control,

speedcut/boost cut, o2 control obd2,etc etc

Guest FrantiC

Ah ok never really looked into megasquirt, would rather just go all out and purchase an aftermarket replacement ECU. Of course that gets a bit pricey but so worth it in the long run.

Luke

Yeah I would too, But the price is what puts me off.. For what I am running Megasquirt should suit me fine.. But yeah obviously m50 turbo > m20 turbo lol.

Yeah I would too, But the price is what puts me off.. For what I am running Megasquirt should suit me fine.. But yeah obviously m50 turbo > m20 turbo lol.

Yea I know what you mean dude and megasquirt should be perfect for your setup and my setup, but with Rich's.. unsure?

Haha doesnt matter what motor you are running the tune is still vital m20 turbo setup will still be sikk B)

luke, if i remember correctly your running a link arnt u? what version?

FrantiC: how much hassel was the megasquirt install with wiring tuning etc. did it work with standard sensors and vanos?

FrantiC: how much hassel was the megasquirt install with wiring tuning etc. did it work with standard sensors and vanos?

Yup sure am Rich, its a Link G3 not the plus version though. Frantics motor is the older M20 motor Rich, which did not come with Vanos.

Edited by Boost Junky

Guest FrantiC

I was just chimming in that Megasquirt doesnt do VANOS.. AFAIK. Haven't used or setup MS before, Just in the stage of buying parts for my turbo build which is a stroked m20. - Probably lead me to buying MS for tuning.

Edited by FrantiC

ok finally got car back on friday,

turbo manifold

dump pipe

wastegate

a/c delete

superb workmanship done by import enhancements petone...

cheerz guys

post-3417-1240108833_thumb.jpg

What have you decided re: tune?

What have you decided re: tune?

may just go with unichip, dont wanna go with a ciped ecu coz if i blow this engine ill prob put a m50b25 in so seems the beta way to go inless i can find a cheep skyline link ecu and get it re programed

Megasquirt will do vanos. Well, basic m50 vanos anyway, not variable vanos.

You just need to setup an output in megasquirt to switch with vanos solenoid on, and you can set that to turn on where ever you want, wether its a MAP based value or a RPM value.

Megasquirt wont be any cheaper with the exchange rate the way it is anyway. Get a link or somthing local.

ok i need help.

im having probs with running an oil feed, did you tak it off the oil pressure sender or t it off the filter?

im trying to avoid taking off the inlet manifold

also anyone running a FPR? how did you adapt the rail to fit A>N hose fittings or would i need an adapter?

ok i need help.

im having probs with running an oil feed, did you tak it off the oil pressure sender or t it off the filter?

im trying to avoid taking off the inlet manifold

also anyone running a FPR? how did you adapt the rail to fit A>N hose fittings or would i need an adapter?

You have been PM'd. Take the oil feed from pressure sender unit and theres more info i PM'd you about modifying your fuel rail.

Luke