Sign in to follow this  
Grant

14 or 15mm Allen Key

Hi I have just been driving around trying to find someone open today who would sell a 14 or 15mm allen key. Everyone just seems to sell a 10mm max one.

Does anyone on here (in Auckland) have one that I could borrow? I want to use it to be able to top up my gearbox oil.

Cheers

Grant

Haha, had the same problem, take a 14mm bolt and stick it in the place where the alan key would go then use some vice grips to clamp onto the bolt to undo the oil cap...

The other way is to find a big nut or the bolt thing again and use that in tandem with a socket or spanner.

Edited by ///Carl

try an engineering supplies shop...thats a pretty damn big allen key.....i had another idea but its gone....

If all else fail's i beleive i have one sitting at home.

you can pay for postage there and back tho .. lol

Couldn't find a 14mm Allen Key in any stores, but instead got a 14mm head that goes on a atandard socket at the Hand Tool House in Hamilton when I was down there today.

$13.00. Problem solved.

Cheers

Couldn't find a 14mm Allen Key in any stores, but instead got a 14mm head that goes on a atandard socket at the Hand Tool House in Hamilton when I was down there today.

$13.00. Problem solved.

Cheers

hmm ive got one for my wheels... and im in hamz... and its free.. damn.

$13.00. Problem solved.

Cheers

hmm ive got one for my wheels... and im in hamz... and its free.. damn.
but this way he actually gets to keep it - for next time and stuff! and you will still be able to take your wheels off...

but i got two of them

one for a ratchet gun and one for a tyre iron

I cant remember the name of the place but it was in AKL city

up near the top of hobson st somewhere

a specialty tool place

got a 17mm allen key only cost about $20 from memory

I got one for $12 from Trade Tools in Penrose (I actually needed a 17mm one in the end).

However it was a pain in the butt to use (small gap to get to the plug), so a guy at the BM Workshop made me a better tool, that uses a ratchet that is a piece of cake to use. It cost me nothing.

Cheesr

However it was a pain in the butt to use (small gap to get to the plug), so a guy at the BM Workshop made me a better tool, that uses a ratchet that is a piece of cake to use. It cost me nothing.

For others with similar prob, buy the longer ball-end allen keys as these do not need to be dead-on with the hole like a reular allen key and thus you can get into tight spots easier.

I had to make up a tool for this when i did my gearbox oil the otherday, its a little bodgy but works and is a 17mm nut, which fits in perfect. If anyone in welly area needs to borrow it just letme know.

cheers

I had to make up a tool for this when i did my gearbox oil the otherday, its a little bodgy but works and is a 17mm nut, which fits in perfect. If anyone in welly area needs to borrow it just letme know.

cheers

Mike

FYI, I cleaned up the gearbox I got from you a couple of months ago, have new seals ready to put in and will replace the fluid with synthetic, and am getting it put in on the 24th.

Rather than attempting to weld on a new mount (where the one was broken), we are just going swap the rear housing with my current one, so that gets around that problem.

The gearbox itself cleaned up to look like new, amazing what a bit of wblow grease does.

Cheers

wblow grease? that stuff sounds amazing, where can i get some?

Speaking of allen keys, where can one get a 1mm, a 1.5 mm, and a 2mm allen key from???

running into same prob, and all the 'tools' i make arent cutting it, as my bolts are on f n tight...grant did you get a 17mm one in the end?

running into same prob, and all the 'tools' i make arent cutting it, as my bolts are on f n tight...grant did you get a 17mm one in the end?

Yeah, but I lent it to you, I assume you have it.

Just use the tool that goes onto the socket ratchet.

Otherwise use the bolt with the 17mm nuts on it and use that in your 17mm socket.

Cheers

the one that goes into the socket ratchet is a 14mm......and the nuts and bolt just wont undo! damn.....anal

the one that goes into the socket ratchet is a 14mm......and the nuts and bolt just wont undo! damn.....anal

Are you sure, its a 14mm one?

If it is, then I have a 17mm one as well (I must have not looked and given you the 14mm one instead).

I'll check my tool box and see if I can find the 17mm one.

Cheers

I have the 17mm one, damn I'm an idiot, I gave you the wrong one last time.

Cheers