Sign in to follow this  
NZPED

5.25's - Which to get

Hey all

I've just installed a new HU in my e30 (Clarion DB186MP, 4 x 20w RMS) and am going to replace the speakers next,

I have no intentions of running external amps in the future and would just like some good 5.25" speakers that will make the most of my headunit.

Any brands/model reccomendations most appreciated.

Thanks

You could start with telling us how much you're willing to spend..

if you dont want to run an amp, then some components might cut it...

Brands - MB Quarts/Infinity/Hertz/diamond audio

or you could just go plain vanila brands - clarion/sony/alpine/fusion

Can’t recommend a brand but can sagest ones without a huge chassis, mine don’t clear the “door open†switch pins.

I would spend up to $150 a pair, but i dont know if i can justify that with my current HU. Any audio gurus around?

Edited by NZPED

JBL GTO's were the 1st pair of components I ever bought. Theyre ok.

Am running Soundstream Tarantulas at the moment and had plans to pop my DLS's in, but that takes sooo much effort as the DLS are 6.5" comps.

Have a hunt on Trademe mate, they pop up for cheap everywhere

Alpine - Plain vanilla (????) ....n00b

JBL GTO's were the 1st pair of components I ever bought. Theyre ok.

Am running Soundstream Tarantulas at the moment and had plans to pop my DLS's in, but that takes sooo much effort as the DLS are 6.5" comps.

Have a hunt on Trademe mate, they pop up for cheap everywhere

Alpine - Plain vanilla (????) ....n00b

@ $649 you'd hope those Tarantulas sound good. The GTO's are better than the factory Nokia's but I wont be writting home about them..

I've been offered some alpine spr-13c 5.25" ones. Can anyone talk about them?

Headunit wil never play nice sound/music without an amp pushing the speakers just to let you know.

But here some good speakers

Fusion powerpants some of there better speakers

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-215935738.htm

JBl: never have had any jbl gear

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-214992970.htm

Soundstream ones will be very nice but they dont come with tweeters

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-214875318.htm

Or any pioneer,jvc,clarion speakers are great. Try and find ones with tweeters.

I picked up a pair of rockford punch 5.25's for cheap ages ago. Under $100, which is the max I'd pay for anything smaller than 6.5's. They're pretty nice.

For the $ you want to spend, the JBL GTO-506C would be the pick of the bunch by far.. Ive sold a lot of speakers of various brands and rate the JBL's best bang for your buck. I installed a set of these 506C's into my E30 and run them off a Panasonic digital 70W x 4 head unit and they do not distort even at full volume.

Specs:

* 1" Kaladex (polyethylene naphthalate film) edge-driven dome tweeter

* 2-way crossover (high-/low-pass at 4,000 Hz, 12 dB per octave)

* frequency response 70-21,000 Hz

* recommended power range 2-55 watts RMS

* peak power handling 165 watts

* sensitivity 89 dB

* top-mount depth 2-1/4"

Sound Quality: 7 out of 10 (they really do thrive when amplified)

Parallel currently have them for $149.00

PS. They fit into the E30 factory kick panels with no modification at all..

If your going on the road-trip to Raglan on Monday, your more than welcome to have a listen to them in action..

post-991-1243679602_thumb.jpg

Edited by boydusM325i

For the $ you want to spend, the JBL GTO-506C would be the pick of the bunch by far.. Ive sold a lot of speakers of various brands and rate the JBL's best bang for your buck. I installed a set of these 506C's into my E30 and run them off a Panasonic digital 70W x 4 head unit and they do not distort even at full volume.

Specs:

* 1" Kaladex (polyethylene naphthalate film) edge-driven dome tweeter

* 2-way crossover (high-/low-pass at 4,000 Hz, 12 dB per octave)

* frequency response 70-21,000 Hz

* recommended power range 2-55 watts RMS

* peak power handling 165 watts

* sensitivity 89 dB

* top-mount depth 2-1/4"

Sound Quality: 7 out of 10 (they really do thrive when amplified)

Parallel currently have them for $149.00

PS. They fit into the E30 factory kick panels with no modification at all..

If your going on the road-trip to Raglan on Monday, your more than welcome to have a listen to them in action..

I'm thinking about getting some of these, I like the sound of them fitting straight in, the current speakers sound muddy and horrid, I just changed my headunit, but its just a cheapo Panasonic 4x50w thing with USB input.

Where abouts did you install the Tweeters?

I just got a set of those ^ JBL GTO-506C's, plan on installing the tweeters on the corner of the A pillar above the door cards on e30's (in the small plastic triangle, flush mounted).

Hopefully should go alright with a 55wx4 ish head unit, 600w amp and some 400w 6x9s.

Thanks for the advice hopefully the JBL's will go good for a moderate audio set up.

i highly recommend infinity kappas for the front in any E30 or 36, Extremely clear and they pick up every bit of vocal and mid range you could ever expect to hear, and run cheap 3 ways in the back because E30's seem to have a natural ability to pump awesom low range bass and clarity without distortion from the parcel tray and without spending big bucks. I had a set of Pioneer Pro Series components in the rear of my old E30 and took them out and out $26 pyle 3 ways in there and it was just as good if not better... it doesnt really sound true when you tell someone until they witness it lol.

Hope this helps

I picked up a pair of rockford punch 5.25's for cheap ages ago. Under $100, which is the max I'd pay for anything smaller than 6.5's. They're pretty nice.

WOW! thats cheap, were they new?, component or coaxal. im looking for a pair but cant find any that cheap, where did you get them from?

thanks

WOW! thats cheap, were they new?, component or coaxal. im looking for a pair but cant find any that cheap, where did you get them from?

thanks

Hardly used components, got them off trademe. You can use the components as co-ax too. Never liked having 4 tweeters.

I'll be chucking them into a mates car soon, they've been sitting around as I use 6.5 inch speakers.

Just some ideas for tweeters.. http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=159311

Any one know where to get the JBL's?

I ordered them through parallel imported, but just got an email saying they were out of stock (next pair would be avaliable in 4 weeks).

anyone know anywhere else to get them, or worth waiting 4 weeks?!?!?!

Might try that tweeter idea, seems pretty sweet

Edited by Wervie67

Sounds like the stolen ones out of my legacy!

Any one know where to get the JBL's?

I ordered them through parallel imported, but just got an email saying they were out of stock (next pair would be avaliable in 4 weeks).

anyone know anywhere else to get them, or worth waiting 4 weeks?!

I Have just been offered 'EarthQuake MC5' Speakers as an alternative to the JBL's.

Never heard of them before but apprantly they are nice.

can anyone shed any light on these?

Would just like to know what they are like in comparison

thanks

Edited by Wervie67

I just got a set of those ^ JBL GTO-506C's, plan on installing the tweeters on the corner of the A pillar above the door cards on e30's (in the small plastic triangle, flush mounted).

Hopefully should go alright with a 55wx4 ish head unit, 600w amp and some 400w 6x9s.

Thanks for the advice hopefully the JBL's will go good for a moderate audio set up.

i very much doubt they will fit flush mounted. E30s did come factory in the states with tweeter pods. they pop up on ebay from time to time. it was an option by the way

you might have 400W 6x9s, but at the end of the day they are still running from the max 55W from the stereo. hence why the person previously who mentioned amps are always essential for great sound.

i run Sony kit all round. i have 6.5" fronts in the doors, 6x9"s on the parcel tray, two 12" subs, two 800W amps and a 350W amp (the lattermost for the 6x9s)

some poeple dont like sony, but it comes alot down to how the speakers are installed