Sign in to follow this  
mattgoldsbro

Heater Not Working

When i bought car i knew it was in need of a new microfilter as blowing bugger all air through !! But now we are heading into winter have noticed that there seems to be no hot air either !! Would a new microfilter solve this or is it part of the heating system ? Have had a new thermostat fitted. Car is a 1996 E36 with the digital display for heater/ac controls.

Any ideas ???

I'd check your coolant levels a.s.a.p. Could be running very low.

That, or an air bubble, or blocked valve somewhere. Hope it's one of the latter 2.

if your car is a singapore car its possible the heater has been blocked off....

Car is ex Japan, Coolant level fine ...

Not too sure where to start looking ,valves etc??

Edited by goldbro

When i bought car i knew it was in need of a new microfilter as blowing bugger all air through !! But now we are heading into winter have noticed that there seems to be no hot air either !! Would a new microfilter solve this or is it part of the heating system ? Have had a new thermostat fitted. Car is a 1996 E36 with the digital display for heater/ac controls.

Any ideas ???

try replace the heater valves , or maybe the digital control panel , most common causes .

how can i tell if it is the valves ? ,the control panel seems fine .

Any pictures of valves etc would be helpfull

you can pull them apart , you will see perrishing of the rubbers in side etc

post-279-1240705422_thumb.jpg

you can pull them apart , you will see perrishing of the rubbers in side etc

Have removed the valves and seems the rubber inside has perished, gave pistons etc a bit of clean.

Was wondering if there is anyway you can gut these valves out and leave in open posistion ?

Would that cause any probs ? dont really use air con or cooling just need heat in the winter..

Have removed the valves and seems the rubber inside has perished, gave pistons etc a bit of clean.

Was wondering if there is anyway you can gut these valves out and leave in open posistion ?

Would that cause any probs ? dont really use air con or cooling just need heat in the winter..

Just go new or 2nd hand

Im having similar problems. but mine has a mind of its own. it has problems changing from say feet to windscreen. and the fan has a mind of its own. it wont blow on full and then i turn it down and itll go crazy. im so confused. also iv have got no heat either. grrrrrr

Im having similar problems. but mine has a mind of its own. it has problems changing from say feet to windscreen. and the fan has a mind of its own. it wont blow on full and then i turn it down and itll go crazy. im so confused. also iv have got no heat either. grrrrrr

Have replaced heater valves with 2nd hand ones all good now !

Maybe your heater control unit is stuffed ?? The are for sale on trademe reconditioned for $100.

My heater still makes some random noises like there is a squirrel being starngled in the dash but atleast i have heat now!!!!