Sign in to follow this  
MLM

Tightening Torques Reference Document

This is an BMW document relating to the tightening torques requires for BMW's

It is a deisgn guide line for various bolt sizes and pitchs for general fixtures as well as specific information relation to engine bolts, suspension, etc for particular configurations. IE M42 main bearing cap torque and degreeing.

Basically if there is a bolt on your beemer this tells you how tight it should be.

bmw_torque_setting.pdf

• Like 2

Definitely. Done.

but how do you actually know how much torque u are applying anyway without proper tools?

i know ppl measure tightening torque using a digital guage of some sort

but what about we want to say.... tighten bolts on our shock mounts? how can we tell

Torque wrench is the only way usually, and there are varying degrees of accuracy depending on how much you spend. I have tightened a wheel bearing bolt without one before - I weighed myself, worked out how long the bar I needed to get the right torque with my weight applied at the end and just stood on it.

Not 100% accurate, or useable in all situations, but was fine for that job.

What spec is that Torque wrench Glenn?

I've got a few Toptul ones.

Is it viable to get them re-calibrated or just buy new ones?

Torque wrenches can be calibrated. Im not sure of a commercial place to do this for the public. We require calibaration at my place of work so have the capability to do it for in house equipment

• Like 1

I've wondered about this... I own 2 torque wrenches, however a DIY'r such as myself would use such tools much less than a pro mechanic would commercially. I've had both my wrenches for about a year now and have done minimal tasks such as oil changes and spark plugs etc... the certs and manuals supplied with my wrenches specify to have them calibrated once a year, but something tells me this may be overboard for my type of use? 

(I always reset my wrenches to the lowest torque setting after use and store them in the case supplied)

Anyone know of an updated version of this doc?

On 1/2/2024 at 5:38 PM, gjm said:

Anyone know of an updated version of this doc?

I found and downloaded TIS from below, pretty sure it had a torque settings in there

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2184573-The-Z3-Diagnostics-Thread-Instructions-Experiences-Discussions-Experimentation

• Like 1