Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

What has started off as medium handling upgrades has become a lot more. This car is now powered by a Nissan Silvia S13 Redtop 2 liter turbocharged engine. It has serious hillclimb/clubday/targa duty in it's medium term future. If you have come here from google looking for a SR20 into E30 swap guide, it is in the Index below. You will have to sign up to this great forum to see the awesome pictures of the whole swap (worth it). You won't need to be a member to see the swap guide, the pictures are hosted externally.

Index

Subframe Removal

Rear Suspension Paint and Ground Control Order

Red Subframe, more

Homemade Bushing Press

Front Suspension Removal

Sunroof Removal, more, more

2 x Limited Slip Differential

Ground Control Kit Arrival

Flames and Sparks, for the win..

Ground Control Kit Installation

First Drive Report

Stance Pictures

Alignment Settings. Warning: Excessive Negitive Camber?!1

AKG 75D Engine Mount Install

First Video : Youtube

Repaint Spolier

First Track Day : On Vimeo

Whiteline Sway Bar Installation

Wheel vs Spring rate Calculation

More Videos

Polycarbonate Sunroof Panel Replacement

This car vs M3 CSL

Engine transplant begins...

New engine revealed! SR20DET

Painting speedo needles Red

The page where the SR20DET swap all happens..

First drive on the track report

S13 SR20DET into BMW E30 Swap Guide

T28 Ball Bearing Turbo purchase

To-date exterior shot and bent finned turbo

The gear ratios/speeds in each gear I get after the swap..

And here is the start:

I've always wanted to make one of these, a build thread, it'll start off slow and teasing. But as the weeks pass it'll get better and better. I'll go with the format of adding posts rather than updating this first post.

I should let you know my final goal:

A stock exterior (wheels, kit etc) but with a monster of a car lurking underneath. Set up for Road Rally/muchy spirted driving 50%, Track 30% (grip and drift) and 20% Daily Driver. A hard balance, can be done though, daily driving is important, but dont mind a roughish ride if I know what it can do on a Track ahaa.

Final spec list would be summarised to:

S50B32 powered.

GC coilovers, AKG bushings, Sway bars (t.b.a of brand)

Wilwood brakes all round, with the pedal box. (I hate the brake linkage these cars have, no feel and so sloppy)

A bit of lighten-ing and other things... Better seats, gearbox and diff rebuild, refresh/rebuild everything I can really.

Apart from that, not molested too much, it's a classic really. I don't intend to ever sell it.

Stage 1: Suspension

Now this M20 lump o' iron has decent-ish power, it holds a drift in 3rd with 300000k's so I'm not complaining. A S50 will be hard to locate and if I did that first I would die. So lets be smart and responsible here, I'm not a teenager.

The stock suspension is sh*t.

My AKG 75D bushings arrived today, so I got the car up on the stands and begun. I made this quick vid to show you what 75D or Delrin feels like, click it.

These bushings are the man, according to about 10000 people, can't wait to feel the difference.

post-1573-1241066164_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1241066220_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1241066249_thumb.jpg

Yum. So got underneath the car, got the shocks unbolted, got the springs out (King springs. Lows I think, yellow, will be for sale soon) and got the exhaust off. New ratchet spanners, best things I've ever bought. Goning to save hours of time over their life.

post-1573-1241066282_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1241066354_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1241066383_thumb.jpg

Of course, I had to start the car with no cat or muffler on... I'm a boy.

<!--id1--><div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div><!--id2-->

And my transport to Uni and around the place while this gets done!!

Loaded Dervish, Flex 2, paris trucks and Orangatang In Heat 80A wheels (the difference between 80A and 75D is huuuuuge. Youtube 'Whirling Dervish'. do it now. now. I also have a couple of vids of me riding it on my youtube account.

post-1573-1241066435_thumb.jpg

That is all for now. Yay for lots of anonymous people viewing this. Oh well.

Edited by Incary

i want some ratchet spanners, how much do they cost?

i want some ratchet spanners, how much do they cost?

I can say they are a frickin amazing invention. Interested as well.

This is gona be sick.

Ultimate win Q-ship

I wait with anticipation.

GL man.

(Ratchet Spanners, Dad got a full set of Jonnesway good quality ones for $200 ish from BNT).

Can get cheap sets from Repco for about $50

Edited by Forrest

I <3 tech1. Please dooooon't change tech1, evar. :lol:

Btw, instead of shelling out for wilwoods, adaptors and brembo's from an evo/sti/gtr might be much better value for money. (I went even cheaper with nissan ones).

Mine's basically a twin! ....except without the daily driver part...well, almost.

/subscribed!

I paid trade at Repco. Got the 2 peice set with 4 sizes per spanner and reversing switches. Your looking at under 100 EASY. For the 1 size per ratchet set of 7 with no switch (useless really) it's 150 or so.

I <3 tech1. Please dooooon't change tech1, evar. :lol:

Btw, instead of shelling out for wilwoods, adaptors and brembo's from an evo/sti/gtr might be much better value for money. (I went even cheaper with nissan ones).

Mine's basically a twin! ....except without the daily driver part...well, almost.

/subscribed!

:D I shall never remove the Tech1, so nice, so 80's, but so timeless.

Yeah there are some nice as brake kits I'm looking at, like Massive lee's kit. But I think you are onto something there. Just watching the exchange rate eh..

Wicked - I love your video demo! I too had to run my car with no exhaust - although I went a km or 2 up the road and back.

love the car!

but really im a longboarder at heart and the day i get my hands on a Loaded Dervish this will happen:

im rolling on a layback at the mo and they just dont cut it....

Loaded FTMFW!!!!!!

Edited by SLAY

Looking good mate, id go with the adaptor/brembo combo if I was you, I will later on when I get more serious ;)

I hate to be the voice of reason but the adapter and Evo brembo option will be even harder than the wilwood (Massive) option or Nissan option to find wheels for. E30 M3 with them needed 17s, no dish.

I'm gonna watch this one with interest - I like a good project :)

Edited by CamB

i drove all the way through albany to the exhaust shop with just the manifold. was awesome, didn't run too well though.

love the car!

but really im a longboarder at heart and the day i get my hands on a Loaded Dervish this will happen:

im rolling on a layback at the mo and they just dont cut it....

laybacks are dope!!! hahaha nice board and nice car interesting to see the progress

Woo, Im not teh only skater on the boards!

Do you have a goal for power figures?

The S50's stock 320hp will be plently eh, it will match the chassis's capibilities. Any more than that won't be fast on a bumpy road. I reckon anyway.

Well, thanks for the comments all, hope I can get this project moving at a decent speed. I'll be ordering the GC kit and sway bars next week.

Skipped my only lecture this morning and dropped the subframe. I was f**king thankful to not have it stuck to the car like I've read so many stories about.. It litterally fell off once I gave it a shake and lowered the jack under the diff.

Bitch of a nut to undo. For reference, it's 22mm. The internet said 21mm, stupid internets. *haha actually just now found a walk-through saying they are 22mm. Much better internets.

post-1573-1241135577_thumb.jpg

Remove brake lines, butane helps here, they come apart so nicely after burning them for 20 seconds.

post-1573-1241135600_thumb.jpg

You have to take the rotor off and disassemble the parking brake to get the cable free. Then the cable and housing just needs pulling out of the back of the hub.

post-1573-1241135614_thumb.jpg

Good time to do this project... These are hell worn.

post-1573-1241135633_thumb.jpg

Parking brake bits where they sit in the rotor.

post-1573-1241135644_thumb.jpg

Diff bolt out and diff supported. I was underneath the diff when I got the bolt out and it dropped about 1cm, poos inducing.

post-1573-1241135660_thumb.jpg

ABS sensor, almost missed these.. Won't have ABS after I get the new brakes anyway though..

post-1573-1241135679_thumb.jpg

Have to either take the whole driveshaft out or undo this fuel line between both sides of the gas tank, or the subframe just won't come down.

post-1573-1241135689_thumb.jpg

~ Success! 1 crushed bucket and 2 bent brake sheilds, but smooth as removal.

post-1573-1241135703_thumb.jpg

Caked breather for Diff.

post-1573-1241135713_thumb.jpg

Now I know why there was such amazing clunking when getting on and off the throttle sharply in th lower gears. Rooted.

post-1573-1241135723_thumb.jpg

And also why the car steers itself at the back...

post-1573-1241135736_thumb.jpg

Have Physics exam tonight and a very busy weekend, so probably not too much happening this week. Will be swapping in my very low kays LSD and cleaning and painting the subframe and arms. Also have rebuilt calipers from my last e30, and slotted rear rotors ready to go in, So I might be able to take it for a drive in a couple of weeks to feel these new bushings, then swap the suspension in. Nice.

Oh and during this I wrote off one of my new ratchet spanners, no more clicking on the 17/14mm end. Taking them back to Repco. Powerbuilt FTL.

I'm not sure you can legally remove the ABS unless you remove the entire system - might pay to check before you do it.

Have you got an S50 lined up? Good luck if you haven't yet, can't wait to see the finished product!

Well that's the idea :D Remove the whole system. I wish to develop my driving skills without any aids at all.

I'll probably source the S50 from overseas... Unless one pops up here. Won't be looking into that for another 6 months though..

Nice work on the subframe, have just done mine and ended up jumping on the one side that wouldn't come off the thread of the bolt <_<

My center prop shaft bearing, boot and mount was worse than yours, 95% off the rubber boot was torn, now I know why I had terrible clunks.

This is gona be the ultimate win project.

Ugh I love it. This is exactly what I want to do one day.

Spent a couple of hours today seperating all the bits out. Forgot to undo the half shafts from the diff while the driveshaft was still attatched. Durr. Had to bolt the wheels back on the hubs for the leverage.

Now I have 2 3.64 LSD's and 1 3.46 open diff. Yus, spares.

Gotta get to a press now, can't get the old bushings out with anything I own. Although, I could burn them out......................................................... B)

Will start on the front suspension next week. Just have to get 2 more jack stands. Don't trust bricks after my last experience with them.

The motorsport shocks and King Springs (Yellow ones, Lows?) will be for sale then. PM me now if you are keen.

post-1573-1241317723_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1241317747_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1241317763_thumb.jpg

Spent a couple of hours today seperating all the bits out. Forgot to undo the half shafts from the diff while the driveshaft was still attatched. Durr. Had to bolt the wheels back on the hubs for the leverage.

Next time use a rattle gun

Gotta get to a press now, can't get the old bushings out with anything I own. Although, I could burn them out......................................................... B)

You wouldn't be the first or last. ;)

I would get an air compressor but as you can see I don't have any garage space to use...

That butane torch has saved so many stripped nuts in it's lifetime. I think I will add bushing burner to it's CV :D