Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

M325i vs SR20DET.

Be warned - its a crap job. Just stick the torch onto the metal and leave it on there until the sleeve pulls out with pliers - you can usually get the rubber out ok after that.

I wouldn't use an air tool on a CV bolt anyway.

Why not? Hex socket, and light torque setting. You're undoing it, not doing it up. I can't see how you could possibly cause any damage. They're usually fairly easy to undo, but the rattle gun means you don't have to constantly get out from under the car to release the handbrake, turn the axle, set the brake and then undo 2 more bolts.

I still couldn't bring myself to do it!

Fair enough mate. There are things people do that make me cringe, but probably don't do any harm so I know where you're coming from.

I had a 19mm wrench slipped over my Bondus 8mm allen key and it was bending like this--> ( Never been undone I think!

And I had a girlfriend who was really really happy to stop studying and pull the handbrake for a few mins ahaa.

I have located a press where my friend works as a apprentice mechanic. Probably have these floppy rubber shitters out on Thursday. Don't really want to burn them out now.

Next few days I'll prep the parts here for painting. Anyone have tips on what paint I should use? Arcrylic?

Nice, nice. By my quick head calculations that might just do the sub, trail and diff, if not I'll just keep the diff 'stock'.. Thanks.

woah the Whirling Dervish is intense!

i want one so bad

I have a couple of jack stands you can borrow if you want

So, this week I have been trying to sort out a few orders. Looked into getting some treehouse racing control arm bushings and a front strut brace from bimmerworld, but the shipping was insane. I was going to buy 3-4 strut braces and sell them at juuust over cost to cover shipping, but each time I added one to the cart, the shipping went up by 80 USD. f**k.

Thanks to jeddy for coming over this week and lending me a couple more jackstands, the front suspension will be coming out soon...

So I have my bushings pressed out, thanks to MPL, and have the diff bushing pressed in, it's so sexy and fits so perfectly, love it. And I got some paintsss! not the stuff recommended, but it'll do. And I have a seriously awesome colour, which will remain secret untill I'm finished the brush work :D

Some pics, the last one is my favorite....

All apart, considering doing the wheel bearings... But the walkthroughs I found make it sound like a nightmare..

post-1573-1241839441_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1241839384_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1241839412_thumb.jpg

post-1573-1241839503_thumb.jpg

Like it left the factory, almost, bit rough looking from the sanding. Hard work. If I get bloody rear-ended/T-boned when I get this back on the road I'll f**king flip.

post-1573-1241839519_thumb.jpg

Note address, I had to call very early this morning and had my extra thick accent on, ahaha the address I said is nothing like whats written there.

And Jib and CamB I managed to get 2inch longer springs at the front, and 1 inch longer at the back. Should be schweet.

post-1573-1241839536_thumb.jpg

Awesome awesome awesome. Jealous of the extra travel!

....One day I'll sort my rear bushes haha

Apparntly F's sound like S's! Not that I would call this area Fendalton, but it saved the hassle of trying to spell out Bryndwr at 6 in the morning, it's a mucked up name for a suburb really..

Well, I did the first layer of top coat this morning...

It's not an original colour by any means. But it's a f**king rare sight to see it on a Subframe!

I introduce...

Delicious Red

post-1573-1241930441_thumb.jpg

:D

I now have both trailing arms and Subframe roped up high in the garage, I hope the colour won't be too visible from the outside when it's back together hahaha.

Such thick paint, taking hours to even get past tacky, damn this southerly.

The trailing arams are still in Primer here. Messy garage eh!

post-1573-1241930618_thumb.jpg

Bushings will be in once a 2nd coat on each piece finally dries...

Badassery. I don't think I'd have the patience to do that.

Always good to see people focussing on the suspension :)

May I suggest you look into this lot of gear from I.E?

I had it installed in my E30 and along with the coil overs it makes for some epic handling.

Consists of up rated sways, mounts, poly bushes, Subframe and Trailing arm bushes and camber/toe adjusters (Although the camber/toe adjusters require welding and now that you have already painted you might not want to have to do it again)

Also some helpful bush removal tips :P

post-590-1241938881_thumb.jpg

post-590-1241938833_thumb.jpg

post-590-1241938860_thumb.jpg

Edited by KSMYRS

Hell yeah Jib, it takes about 20mins to paint each arm, and 30+ to do the subframe, a hell of a lot of small gaps and corners than it looks like ahaa!

Mr Kissmyarse, I just about locked in my credit card details for the IE sway bars yesterday.. But I'm fast running out of money and I'm trying to source the final bits (sways and strut brace) from NZ. Going with Whiteline 24mm/16mm adj. They come with poly bushings so should be excellent. I really want to set up the car with spring rates and just control the amount of oversteer with the bars.. That looks like the 22/19 kit, what spring rates did you run with it? and what was the handling like?

The camber correction kit is also planned, how much could you get your camber numbers back to? But not yet, the ride height I'll be running, with street tires, makes the camber still acceptable.

I have seen other solutions for getting some camber out, the involve cutting behind and rear hub about 90% of the way through and then bending it down a degree or 2 and welding it back together. We'll see...

It's going to rock some serious arse with Michelins on each corner in a few weeks anyway :D

Looks hot! Will give the WOF guys a fright!

Reminds me of this awesomeness:

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....p;hl=fabricated

That. is. amazing.

I would kill to have resources like that. Favorited that link :D

Its getting serious........i like it!!! Ive just spent another $700US on 2x more additions for my car ;)....more 16x9s lol

I am jealous of your subframe sir.

More win'ness.

Favourite car on BS atm, by far.

Ohhh thanks man :D Still a long way to go heh.

Its getting serious........i like it!!! Ive just spent another $700US on 2x more additions for my car ;)....more 16x9s lol

I need 16x9's baaaaaaad. It'd save going 5 stud.. Do tell what these wheels are.

Mr Kissmyarse, I just about locked in my credit card details for the IE sway bars yesterday.. But I'm fast running out of money and I'm trying to source the final bits (sways and strut brace) from NZ. Going with Whiteline 24mm/16mm adj. They come with poly bushings so should be excellent. I really want to set up the car with spring rates and just control the amount of oversteer with the bars.. That looks like the 22/19 kit, what spring rates did you run with it? and what was the handling like?

The camber correction kit is also planned, how much could you get your camber numbers back to? But not yet, the ride height I'll be running, with street tires, makes the camber still acceptable.

Ran 450/700 spring rates (Eibach) with Koni adjustables. Had the camber tops of the front and had it set up quite nicely for my liking. When the whole lot was in together it was amazing.

Camber/toe correction kit is value for money.

Probably one of the best mods i did.

Nice nice nice. Hmm you are making me want the camber/toe kit now... I think I can get a friend I know to copy it...

Hmm I have an idea.