Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

M50 to Getrag 240

I am sure I read this somewhere, has anyone heard of making it happen? My bad if it isn't possible.

How much would a standard gearbox go for these days to bolt up to a m50.

Exploring a potential different option in regards to the current worn out sewing machine situation :D

Edit: A quick google found this: Yea, BMW trannys are very strong. My dad ran a 375hp Blown M50 behind the same tranny that comes in a 318, the Getrag 240. And, Getrag 260's (what you have) are MUCH stronger.

It's not your engine that destroyed your tranny Lukas, it's your driving. (off dtmpower.com)

Am I barking up the wrong tree lol?

Edited by Forrest

A Getrag 250 will do the trick...About $1200-$1500. Check with Ray @ HELLBM thats about the price for a whole manual conversion kit. Did you not see my manual conversion thread in Projects ?

Guest Ari Gold

g250 is E36 (correct Glen?), so if you're swapping into an E30, I wouldn't bother, just go with the g260, or if you can find one, the more common ZF (more common than a g250, at least)

Edit: I was wrong, g240 WILL sit behind an M50.

some (perhaps?) pertinent info:

-YES the Getrag 240 (from 90-91 318i/iS WILL bolt up to all M/S/50/52 blocks perfectly and will even line up correctly with the oil pan holes. Im not sure about the transmission form the early 318's.

-Use the pilot bearing that was meant for your motor.

-People have used the m20 325i shift linkage along with it, it didnt work for me so I shortened the 318 carrier and selector rod to work.

-Use the E36 325i 5spd driveshaft with a e30 center bearing for best fitment. The E30 325i 5spd driveshaft can be used too.

-If you're going to be running a single mass m20 flywheel use the euro 323i throw out bearing. Otherwise the stock one from the 240 should work with the m50 dualmass flywheels.

-For transmission support use the stock unmodified e30 transmisson brace with the stock 240/e36 transmisson mounts.

Edited by Ari Gold

g240 has a 4cylinder bellhousing bolt pattern

but its stock on m20b20's? whata whata whata?

Guest Ari Gold

but its stock on m20b20's? whata whata whata?

Edited for noobness :P

Just Bmw trying to confuse us all. The 240 box comes with at least two variants, the 318 version and the 320 version, they do have different bolt hole patterns.

Just Bmw trying to confuse us all. The 240 box comes with at least two variants, the 318 version and the 320 version, they do have different bolt hole patterns.

Is the M40 bolt pattern the same or different to the M10 and/or M20? (M10 <> M20, but is M40 the same as one of them?)

M40's different from both.

Isn't the m40 bolt pattern the same as the m20 but on a different angle??

I have a busted g240 from e30 318is here and the bolt pattren matches the m50.

Not overly strong, just ask Andrew.

320guy from here used/is using a 240 on his m50 conversion, just found his project thread on e30 tech, looks like I will atleast have someone to ask if this goes ahead

Wow so I just re-read that, so I assume only the m20 g240 would fit on the m50 then, back to the drawing board :(

Edited by Forrest

320guy from here used/is using a 240 on his m50 conversion, just found his project thread on e30 tech, looks like I will atleast have someone to ask if this goes ahead

Wow so I just re-read that, so I assume only the m20 g240 would fit on the m50 then, back to the drawing board :(

Getrag 240 or 260 will both fit on the back of a m50. If it's out of a 325i or 320i e30.

Guest FrantiC

Getrag 240 and 260 have the same bell housing.

The early Getrag 240 found in 318i with the m10 are the only different ones, All the other ones are the same (320i, f/l 318i) and will fit m20/m40/m42/m50/s50 etc etc.

Never heard any of this toughness stuff though, Getrag 240 will bolt right up to the m50 and not require custom shifter linkage. Putting a Getrag 260 behind an m50 in an e30 tilts the shifter 10degrees so you would need to fabricate custom linkage unless you wanna have a "G lean" shifter.

The Getrag 240 AFAIK does not need modification to the shifter linkage. 240 has closer ratio gears compared to a getrag 260 also.

Between first and second the 260 is shorter. Between 2nd and 3rd the 240 is shorter. The 260 has 1st/2nd and 3rd shorter than the 240. Both have the same ratios in 4th and 5th ;)

And I thought the 240 got tilted too? I'll have to do some MORE reading ha.

Stuck aka Jordon, aka The Man went through 2 getrag 240's in 6 months behind his USS52B32. He said that 260's hold up better but he didn't like the short first 3 gears. Ended up going with a e36 6 speed and has no trouble since.

I'd hit a 260.

^ Thanks also, Stuck is the man, I do troll on e30tech also. I guess a 240 + S52 is just asking for trouble with double(ish) the power of a standard m50.

Argh I don't know what to do so many choices and combos. I just want more grunt for minimal cashflow and hassle. Something I can bolt in.

Can get a m44 (later generation m42) with 150hp for a 1k + everything needed to bolt in and use my original gearbox.

Guest Ari Gold

Stuck aka Jordon, aka The Man went through 2 getrag 240's in 6 months behind his USS52B32. He said that 260's hold up better but he didn't like the short first 3 gears. Ended up going with a e36 6 speed and has no trouble since.

I'd hit a 260.

Don't ever use Jordan's experiences to rate gearboxes - the man cannot shift to save himself.

A lot of the r3v DOHC boys are using the 240 behind a S50US/S52US and aren't having problems.

Yeah he is an extreme example, very very rough on 2nd gear ha.

Is it really true that the 240 doesnt rotate when installed on a M5x? It doesn't make sence because on an M20 the 240 and 260 have the same angle..

Maybe there is 3 different versions of the 240 then, one for the M10, another for the M20, then another with the same pattern as the M20, but rotated to suit the M40. Do the M40 and M42 share the same box?

So I assume then the m20 version of the 240 is the one that fits on a m50?

Um I can use the same box (240) on a m42 and I assume its the same deal for a m44 also

Guest FrantiC

Pretty sure the problem with Stuck blowing getrag 240's was because of his using an unsprung clutch disc.

I am using a 240 with my 2.7 stroker turbo.. I don't think I will have a problem...

Yes the m20 version of the 240 fits the m50.

m20, m40,m42,m44,m50,s50,m52,s52 etc etc all share the same bellhousing.

True, but dont some of those motors sit on a different angle? I know the M50 and M20 are different, but is the M40 the same as M50 or M20?

I've got some info from a book so it must be right.

The g240/5 fitted to the facelift 316i / 318i / 318is is the same (up to sept 1990, after which the e34 318i version was used for the iS). This looks the same as the m10 version but the spacing for the bellhousing to engine bolts is different and they do no interchange.

Then there is the g240/5 fitted to the 320i which, according to this book has another different bellhousing which prevents it from being interchanged.

Also says that 260s from a 325 will fit a 320, but you need to get the whole gear linkage assembly

from Andrew Everrets e30 resto bible.

Not much info on e30 gboxes ----> e36 engine tho

Guest FrantiC

I've got some info from a book so it must be right.

The g240/5 fitted to the facelift 316i / 318i / 318is is the same (up to sept 1990, after which the e34 318i version was used for the iS). This looks the same as the m10 version but the spacing for the bellhousing to engine bolts is different and they do no interchange.

Then there is the g240/5 fitted to the 320i which, according to this book has another different bellhousing which prevents it from being interchanged.

Also says that 260s from a 325 will fit a 320, but you need to get the whole gear linkage assembly

from Andrew Everrets e30 resto bible.

Not much info on e30 gboxes ----> e36 engine tho

Thats wrong. I got my getrag240 from a 320i and it's now sitting behind a m20 stroker. All m20' blocks are the same so of course the bellhousing is the same. Shifter linkage would go by year, early models use steel plate shifter design, later ones changed..

Getrag 240/260 will both fit behind an m50. End of story.

If it's from a m10 it wont.

Shifter linkage MAY have to be modified on both 240 and 260, Not too sure though as I have only ever heard this is a problem with a 260.

As I said, m20, m40, m42, m44, m50, m52, s50 etc all use the same bellhousing.

I am using a 240 with my 2.7 stroker turbo.. I don't think I will have a problem...

Thats because your 240 must have been from a M20B20, or were you more referring to the gbox strength?

Yes the m20 version of the 240 fits the m50.

wont this mean that the gearbox is twisted back 10degrees though, so a custom tranny mount should be used?

yes, but that doesn't mean the gearbox's from each will work with each other properly because the engines dont all sit on the same angle.

As has already been said in this thread, the 240 from an M40 will fit fine behind an M50, better so than the 240 from the M20, as this will have the wrong angle.

^ Thanks also, Stuck is the man, I do troll on e30tech also. I guess a 240 + S52 is just asking for trouble with double(ish) the power of a standard m50.

Argh I don't know what to do so many choices and combos. I just want more grunt for minimal cashflow and hassle. Something I can bolt in.

Can get a m44 (later generation m42) with 150hp for a 1k + everything needed to bolt in and use my original gearbox.

M50 with a 240 is fine, dont waste your time with 150hp at the crank when you can have 190hp with little more effort. That's what 320guy did to his and that thing flys. Good times to be had, trust me. Only took 3 days to convert it entirely as well.