Sign in to follow this  
rjac001

Electric E30

I have been thinking about building and electric car for a while and was just wondering if anybody else had attempted or was thinking of doing something similar? Was planing on getting an E30 with blown motor and "droping in" an electric one!

Was wondering how much weight a 318i or 320i engine was to get a rough idea what is the max size motor I could put in...

if anyone is able to point me in the right direction for parts and advice would be much appreciated

* note this is A BIG project and I know It will cost heaps just something I would like to work towards

Surely there must be something more suitable (read: Aerodynamic) than a 1980's styled heavy-ass rectangle with wheels :lol:

Cool idea though, will watch this closely.

Edit - Forgot to actually add something contructive!

If I was you looking at the same project I would be leaning towards a light fwd hatchback as my base.

Less mass to move, less drivetrain loss, more bang for your buck.

Edited by Mattzy

Edit - Forgot to actually add something contructive!

If I was you looking at the same project I would be leaning towards a light fwd hatchback as my base.

Less mass to move, less drivetrain loss, more bang for your buck.

Something like a early model Honda CRX would be ideal. On top of what Mattzy's said, there's decent space in engine bay, light, very very low drag coefficient.