Sign in to follow this  
Sammy J

E30 SE v8 conversion

Well where do i begin.

Im about 2 weeks into the project so far and i have got the motor and box out of it and sold them, striped the engine bay of the radiator A/C condenser oil cooler and all pipes, i have taken the brake booster out, the dash bottom is all out and center console is out too. i took my old 3.73 ratio diff out and swapped a 3.46 LSD into it no problem, only thing im not sure about is the speedo connector is different (original was two round plugs and the new diff is two flat ones?)

I have replaced the belts on my m60b40 motor and took the rocker covers and had them polished up and re-fitted so they are all nice now. steam cleaned the motor and got rid of 15 years worth of road dirt. looks like new :D.

I bought a 5 speed manual out of a 530i v8 e34 from the USA and its in the country now just got the freight bill :mellow: was a little, actually a lot more than i had anticipated. i had planned to buy a set of 6 pot brakes for the front and make my original struts with koni adjustable shocks into adjustable height and camber tops through stocks in chch.

So on the weekend i though i would put the motor in for a test fit, and its really tight about 10mm on either side of the chassis rail but it fits perfectly, i will be making another cross member to use the original mounts on the motor as the mounts that have been made to fit on an e30 with this motor dont use the factory engine holes and it sits really far towards the back of the motor so would almost be trying to fall forward. So this Saturday i will have completed the cross member and have the engine and gearbox mounts sorted. pics to come on Saturday. the only thing im going to have troubles with is the wiring... so if anyone has any tricks or clues about this it would be much appreciated. i have both engine looms (325 and 540) and the factory 540 computer to run the motor. will keep you all posted with my progress as i can.

Cheers

Sam

Guest Simon*

Awesome Sammy. I have been quietly waiting and wondering what you were up to with your V8 conversion.

So um .... pics? :)

That's a lot of work for one paragraph! Should be awesome fun when you are done, will have to take me for a spin :D

I wanted to do this, but I couldn't justify the $$ to do it properly. Although I think I would do it in the future if I did another e30.

Sounds like a badass swap. Manual BMW v8 in e30 FTW.

Pics please :D

Got the support of HELLBM if you need anything.

Il be watching this project with anticipation!

Can't wait to see your progress Sam!

Good Luck

Thanks for your support guys. will post pics up asap but unfortunately the car is covered in dust as its being stored in a container and i drag her out on Saturdays to work on it but never the less ill be posting pics up for all to see. HELLBM, i am toying with the idea of putting an e36 steering rack into it but i just need to know how much closer to the block it brings the steering arm, im anyone has a measurement that would be much appreciated.

Another e30 v8......and guess what its almost within a stones throw from my place.....must be something in the water down here lol. Cant wait for the v8 vs v8 challenge :)

Thanks for the ride in the 700hp beast the other week mate that thing is just awesome!! when are you over the the states for the road trip?

Great to see its all on the way now. Will keep an eye on this thread :D

BTW just swap the sensors over for the speedo. Thats what I do when changing diffs from small case to medium case

BTW just swap the sensors over for the speedo. Thats what I do when changing diffs from small case to medium case

He will need to do the RPM 6cyl-8cyl gauge tweek like you did to mine as well

He will need to do the RPM 6cyl-8cyl gauge tweek like you did to mine as well

yeah mate i just took it into parrot and sons and the did that for me no worries, also calibrated all my dials again to check they are all sweet which is good. I got the gearbox today, man o man its a big f*&$er. glad i didnt decide to get a 6 speed! its really tall but it seems to fit everyone says so on saturday i guess ill find out. Im getting a flywheel made up through a mate of mine and he reakons it will be about $400 for a proper good quality slightly lighter than factory flywheel so thats good. clutch kit has been ordered so its all on the go

ummm yeah.. i sort of let my sender go with my diff when i sold it. ooops! but can i not just put some flat female connectors on the wires and connect them to the diff? Is the actual sender itself the same?

In the past I've cut off the plug and soldered the correct one on no worries as I too didn't have the correct sender. Worked fine. Should be the same for you if its an e30 diff, so what you suggest should work.

ummm yeah.. i sort of let my sender go with my diff when i sold it. ooops! but can i not just put some flat female connectors on the wires and connect them to the diff? Is the actual sender itself the same?

I've got spare E30 medium & small case diffs... If you want one...just PM me

I've got spare E30 medium & small case diffs... If you want one...just PM me

thanks mate i will let you know.

Update.

Today i mounted the gearbox onto the motor in the engine bay and used the rubbers off the 530 trans and my factory gearbox cross member and it fitted in the hole perfectly. just enough clearance everywhere. The new box seems shorter than the G260 so i have to cut and lengthen my linkages but i cant TIG weld so will have to get some one to do that for me.

I also made the engine mounts for the motor, i incorporated the factory cross member and welded a plate onto the sub-frame with two tapped bolts through the mount into the plate. the mount also has a tab which locates the mount with the plate and also carries the load straight down to the plate. I'm yet to gusset some plates to the front and back of the mounts to just add extra strength.

I have a question thats been on my mind for a while... will the 325i radiator and oil cooler be sufficient enough for the v8? If not what can i use.

Next weekend i hope to get the headers on and modified to fit the e30 engine bay the mounts finished, alternator and A/c condenser in, flywheel and clutch kit on and maybe the linkages and drive shaft lengthened to size. Once thats all done ill take the motor out and give it a really good clean and look at the brake master cylinder and what i can do there. Ideas anyone???

Cheers

P.S the mulitple washers on the engine mount bolts are just temp until i can drill hols for the threads to do into the sub frame rather than bottom out and possibly strip the threads.

post-2328-1241839426_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1241839482_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1241839671_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1241839721_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1241839763_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1241839888_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1241839934_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1241839995_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1241840036_thumb.jpg

Another e30 v8......and guess what its almost within a stones throw from my place.....must be something in the water down here lol. Cant wait for the v8 vs v8 challenge :)

Thanks for the ride in the 700hp beast the other week mate that thing is just awesome!! when are you over the the states for the road trip?

yeah mate it must be, but hey i love the water ay, cant beat the sound of a v8. No worries about the camaro ay, any excuse to take the old girl out. i leave for the usa on the 6th of july, i hope to have it all done before then but its hard only being able to work one day a week.

Just get a GOOD alloy radiator, that'll work very well.

Looking good! If you need a hand (don't think you do ha, seem to have it sorted) I can help you oi

Just get a GOOD alloy radiator, that'll work very well.

Looking good! If you need a hand (don't think you do ha, seem to have it sorted) I can help you oi

cheers mate, my number is 027 2618440 flick me a text and we can have a chat and talk cars etc

Sammy J

Get an E36 Steering Rack in there before you get your headers built.

Riley tried my car with E36 rack and is kicking himself for not doing this in his V8 build !

Nice job on the V8 swap, if it goes like Riley's car then you will have a lot of fun.

Edited by Jimmy

e30 rad and oil cooler will be fine .

is it the large e30 radiator .

or you can also use a e28 535i they fit in

Im using my factory oil cooler and its does the trick nicely. I wouldn't use the factory m20 rad, but thats just me