Sign in to follow this  
Sammy J

E30 SE v8 conversion

So time for an update,

I have everything mocked up on the engine finally! A/c and alternator had to come off to fit between the chassis rails but they are back on and fit nicely. i have got the headers made and they are about to come off and be HPC coated.

Also have all the wiring all done!! What a nightmare! but its all done and everything electrical works.

The mounts are finished too. Soooooo on saturday ill be taking the motor out, cleaning it, and removing all brackets off the motor that are not needed. Will weld plate for the engine mounts onto the chassis and tidy up wiring.

While motor is out i will get flywheel and clutch all sorted and all ready to go back together. The driveshaft is away getting lengthened and a different end put on it. Gearbox linkages are being lengthened too.

My Question for all is "Where can i find an e28 535i radiator?!?!" or even just the dimensions for it would be helpful.

Also HELLBM if you read this i want to buy an e36 rack to put in it...you still selling them for $100? i would need the steering shaft to but don't need the lines. Will send you a PM tonight too.

Still stuck for ideas as to what i can do with a brake master cylinder and booster, ideas anyone? the head completely covers the factory hole for the booster.

With any sort of luck i will have it back together and drivable in three weeks :D i cant wait to get it going.

With regards to exhaust i will get magoos to mandrel bend up 2x 2.5inch tube and sort a muffler...what would you recommend for the best v8 rumble and sporty noise?

Cheers guys

don't know how i have missed this thread before, looks so awesome. 3 weeks isn't that far away either :o good luck :)

Edited by Jamez

Awesomness, Have you heard my exhaust Sam? I'm only running 2x 2.25 into a 2.5inch and it sounds great in my opinion and a few others :) I dont belive we need huge exhausts on these smaller v8s.

A good single 2.5inch pipe will support 350hp without restriction and will ensure torque at lower revs. Ive heard allot of 4.0lt v8s with 3inch pipes and twin 2.5s and they can sound very harsh and drone at lower revs. Mine does not drone at all and it certainly barks at high revs.

What are the specs on your headers?

Looking good!

Thanks for the info on gearbox stuff :). Let me know how you go with exhaust. Something on my to-do-list as well.

Ian.

Woop, another E30 v8 rolling in Christchurch... can't wait to see it man!

Makes me want a V8 something, nothing quite like the sound of 8 angry cylinders firing away.

Well done on the Swap sam you have made a lot of progress really quickly !!

Looking good Sam.

can do a e28 radiator from 535i 528i etc .

also what about this for a brake setup.

from a 540i uses the power steering fuild system to boost the brakes instead of the vac system .

e28 528i 525i 535i ,e23 730i 735i , and some early e32 730i 735i , 750il 740i

and e34 v8's use this system

post-279-1243402183_thumb.jpg

post-279-1243402222_thumb.jpg

can do a e28 radiator from 535i 528i etc .

also what about this for a brake setup.

from a 540i uses the power steering fuild system to boost the brakes instead of the vac system .

e28 528i 525i 535i ,e23 730i 735i , and some early e32 730i 735i , 750il 740i

and e34 v8's use this system

How much would you want for the e28 535i radiator?

Wow i never knew that! do you have one of these set ups? very interested

Awesomness, Have you heard my exhaust Sam? I'm only running 2x 2.25 into a 2.5inch and it sounds great in my opinion and a few others :) I dont belive we need huge exhausts on these smaller v8s.

A good single 2.5inch pipe will support 350hp without restriction and will ensure torque at lower revs. Ive heard allot of 4.0lt v8s with 3inch pipes and twin 2.5s and they can sound very harsh and drone at lower revs. Mine does not drone at all and it certainly barks at high revs.

What are the specs on your headers?

Nah i havnt heard yours mate, would be quite keen to :D would you want to come have a chat this saturday when im working on it? quite keen to hear what you think regarding exhausts etc...considering you have already done it :P

How much would you want for the e28 535i radiator?

Wow i never knew that! do you have one of these set ups? very interested

will have to look into what i have in the way of rads (condition etc ) $100-200

I do have the brake set up . not sure if anyone has fitted it to a e30 with a bmw v8 . but have seen it used with m50 into e30 and m30 into e30 etc .

it steps the cylinder over to the left and angles it away a little too.

post-279-1243404651_thumb.jpg

will have to look into what i have in the way of rads (condition etc ) $100-200

I do have the brake set up . not sure if anyone has fitted it to a e30 with a bmw v8 . but have seen it used with m50 into e30 and m30 into e30 etc .

it steps the cylinder over to the left and angles it away a little too.

Thanks mate i appreciate it. Im actually pretty keen on the brake set up... Would you do a deal for a radiator and that too? i have bought almost everything for the conversion off you haha but i dont mind you have looked after me and service been great, thanks.

Thanks mate i appreciate it. Im actually pretty keen on the brake set up... Would you do a deal for a radiator and that too? i have bought almost everything for the conversion off you haha but i dont mind you have looked after me and service been great, thanks.

yea sure , will look into what i have .

do you think the brake system will fit in there?

send me a email.

can send a better pic of the set up from a top view

Nah i havnt heard yours mate, would be quite keen to :D would you want to come have a chat this saturday when im working on it? quite keen to hear what you think regarding exhausts etc...considering you have already done it :P

Year mate ill come around, will call you sat morning

thanks mate that was handy, however im still stuck as how to get around the wiring side of things. i have all the other wiring sorted its just i will obviously need to do something to the auto computer plug to get it to run properly without the autobox..... does anyone know what to do here?? Please i really need help on this.

the engines run fine with the auto box plugged in

I've read mixed opinions on this. Some say the engine still runs fine, but the dash shows trans prog error (and if auto would lock it into 3rd or 4th).

Are you certain it won't run properly?

Others say a manual ECU is required and the engine doesn't run properly (I guess it adjusts mixture to a safe level?).

I'm interested to hear how you get on.

Ian.

i think the only difference is when you come off the gas it migt hold the revs up a bit beacuse there is no torque convertor on it .

Perhaps flick Glenn a PM, he might be able to provide a little insight as to how the computer works etc??

i think the only difference is when you come off the gas it migt hold the revs up a bit beacuse there is no torque convertor on it .

could it be re-programmed if there was a small difference in programming between auto and manual?

could it be re-programmed if there was a small difference in programming between auto and manual?

yes appartly reflashed to say its a manual.

sweet this sounds good, do you know where i can get this done?

Soooo fellas time for an update.

The wiring has been sorted out, i took out all the auto wiring and computer plug and re wired it exactly as a manual loom would be. A friend can re flash the ECU so that will get done when its running. The headers i have finished making today i have attached photos so you can see what iv done, they go between the steering shaft and the subframe.

I also finished putting the E36 steering rack in and it fits perfectly. The engine mounts are done and painted See pics for detail. The motor has had a full service, all gaskets replaced and the water system replaced because it had a bit hole about 5mm round in the water pipe running front to back on the motor! would have leaked like a sieve! so that all been replaced. Oh i also removed the braket off the guard that used to house the old water tank and panted it, looks pretty good.

ahh what else... all wiring has been totally sorted so its all go!

Drive shaft is getting lengthened and flywheel clutch is getting made up and ill put the motor back in for good on Monday with the gearbox all bolted up. will be sending it to get an exhaust system made up during next week.

Still haven't looked at the brake booster etc.. putting it off haha

let me know what you think :)

post-2328-1245465812_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1245465840_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1245465860_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1245465884_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1245465908_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1245465931_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1245465952_thumb.jpg