Sign in to follow this  
Sammy J

E30 SE v8 conversion

looks like its coming along nicely, V8 monster FTW!

looking good Sam.

Should i run twin pipes the whole way down or go into one pipe then back to two?? been hearing varying opinions for both sides with their advantages and disadvantages, what do you guys think?

If your going to run two pipes definitely run a y pipe merge, In my opinion id run twin 2.25inch off the extractors into a y with a 2.5inch system for the rest. Listen to m60 swapped e30s on youtube they sound like arse with big twins or a single 3inch.

Edited by Riley

Well i got the nice shiny flywheel today!! mmm what a beautiful piece of engineering, i got it real cheap too which was great:) so i took the afternoon off and put it on the motor with clutch all bolted up. Gearbox is on now too.

Looking to stick it in the hole for good tomorrow and bolt all the running gear up to it and it should be drivable once the exhausts and radiator is made.

Its getting close now!

What do you guys think about doing an e46 m3 style exhaust on the e30.. like the pics attached..

post-2328-1245817413_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1245817431_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1245817452_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1245817520_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1245817542_thumb.jpg

Nice work mate, everything on the car/motor swap is so well thought out and organised. It is awesome to see and will be awesome to have a BMW powered v8 e30 on here. Best of luck with the last few jobs! :)

Edited by Forrest

Love it!! Cant wait for the show down hehe. I'm not convinced by the exhaust, I looked seriously for mine but I just don't think the look suits e30s for some reason, there are a few e30s ive seen on the net with twins and its just not quite right.

But thats not to say you couldn't make it look right

Well i got the nice shiny flywheel today!! mmm what a beautiful piece of engineering, i got it real cheap too which was great:) so i took the afternoon off and put it on the motor with clutch all bolted up. Gearbox is on now too.

Looking to stick it in the hole for good tomorrow and bolt all the running gear up to it and it should be drivable once the exhausts and radiator is made.

Its getting close now!

What do you guys think about doing an e46 m3 style exhaust on the e30.. like the pics attached..

This is a mates E30 w/2JZ and quad tips: (not my cup of tea)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Have you thought about running a E36 diff cover with the 2 mounts?? Might be an idea with all that extra torque (and easy to fab the mount up)...

Thats ^^ a pretty impressive project we need more pics. Not a fan of the exhausts though

Just on the e36 diff cover mod, Instead of that I utilized my e30 mount but reinforced it big time with an extra steel plate and mounting points and it was allot cheaper and plenty enough for a road/track e30 with our sort of TQ

Edited by Riley

Have you thought about running a E36 diff cover with the 2 mounts?? Might be an idea with all that extra torque (and easy to fab the mount up)...

No i had no idea you could do this... Im assuming from Riley's comment that the e36 cover is expensive??

Fabrication is not a problem as thats what i enjoy and am good at. BTW that sounds like an awesome project!

Will have a look around on the net at quad tips on e30s and try and make my mind up. if anyone has pics post em up!

Edited by Sammy J

This is a perth car with quads - yuck.

post-2398-1245829108_thumb.jpg

No i had no idea you could do this... Im assuming from Riley's comment that the e36 cover is expensive??

Fabrication is not a problem as thats what i enjoy and am good at. BTW that sounds like an awesome project!

Will have a look around on the net at quad tips on e30s and try and make my mind up. if anyone has pics post em up!

Nah, an E36 cover is as cheap as a blown diff if you find one, brent or hellbm could help you out no doubt, then it's just a bit of welding...

Sorry I was think mcoupe diff cover!!

Just reinforce the standard diff mount and run some hard subframe bushings, (like mine, not flexy poly :D) and that'll limit the movement of the diff considerably.

Mcoupe cover is hot hot hot :D

^^ those quads are gross! but yeah those m-coupe diff covers are so hot! i think ill just do what you guys say and reinforce my standard diff mount. motor and box went in today after school!! oh so awesome! sorry i dont have pics but ill be sure to take some soon!

Motor is in gearbox and clutch is in for good!

Have made a nice aluminum box which is getting painted body color this week to put the ecu and wiring in which mounts in the e30 battery tray (battery factory in boot in my car). all the wiring is well and truly sorted now.

managed to squeeze the motor in there with the headers on and the A/C and alternator bolted in place which made things much easier rather than trying to fit in place.

Plumbing to the heater is all hooked up, radiator getting made hopefully this week if not will be next week. Bolted the oil cooler back in and the condenser.

Also been fiddling with the brakes... found a really tiny brake booster and mounter the e30 master cylinder on it, looks like it will work under the dash with a remote mounted reservoir. Got the drive shaft back and the didn't put the bigger end on it to fit the v8 box <_< so its back at mace getting changed.

Hopefully this week i plan to have the ECU all hooked up and mounted away in its new home, driveshaft on, brakes sorted, oil change for motor and gearbox, power steering A/C and oil cooler lines fabed up, maybe even start on the exhaust.

Sorry about the crap photos and the lack of photos only had my iphone to take photos off.

Cheers

post-2328-1246248618_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1246248671_thumb.jpg

post-2328-1246248688_thumb.jpg

looking good .

you could use a e34 type coolant tank up behind the engine .

will fit the shape of the engine cover . or use a e38/e39 v8 engine cover that doesn't have the curved cut out .

cheers brent .

post-279-1246250709_thumb.jpg

post-279-1246250798_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

looking good .

you could use a e34 type coolant tank up behind the engine .

will fit the shape of the engine cover . or use a e38/e39 v8 engine cover that doesn't have the curved cut out .

cheers brent .

Yeah i bought that coolant tank off you but i might struggle to get it under the bonnet <_< How much are one of those engine covers worth? do you have one?

cheers Sam

Yeah i bought that coolant tank off you but i might struggle to get it under the bonnet <_< How much are one of those engine covers worth? do you have one?

cheers Sam

yes have one .

$60 thanks

yes have one .

$60 thanks

any idea how much it would cost to ship the beast? maybe at the same time as the diff?

any idea how much it would cost to ship the beast? maybe at the same time as the diff?

i suppose about $15-20.

better just to put in with nz post . diff will break it

AWESOME cant wait to see it in action

looking good! amazing that engine fits in there.

have I skimmed past something ... what are you doing to the suspension & brakes?