Sign in to follow this  
Sammy J

E30 SE v8 conversion

cheers mate, and yep the clutch slip is fixed, just bleed it up again an no worries.

Pretty happy with the whole thing to be honest. Hurry up cert plate! itching to go for a real drive

You are legaly allowed to drive with the documentation... just make sure you have it in the car

You are legaly allowed to drive with the documentation... just make sure you have it in the car

Really? so if i have my W.O.F sheet and my cert sheet i should be fine? my rego is overdue though...(cant renew until i get wof)

Really? so if i have my W.O.F sheet and my cert sheet i should be fine? my rego is overdue though...(cant renew until i get wof)

You can drive with your cert documentation... but you must have a WOF & Rego

Well long time since i have made an update. To be honest got a bit sick of the whole thing and had to give it a break.

The motor had a run bearing which ment the motor had to come out and swapped it for a lower k one out of an e39, which ment i had to swap all the intake, water pumps, wiring looms, etc over onto the e39 block to get it to work. So while it was out it gave me some good time to do some tidying up of the plumbing, heat wrap the headers, paint the sump and give the new motor a really good clean and pollish inside and out.

Upon putting the motor back in i made up some nolathane engine mounts which were 5mm shorter than the e30 ones i was using which gives me more clearance between the top of the engine cover and the bonnet. I also had all the injectors cleaned and new plugs and coils checked which all turned out fine.

Got the motor back in and somehow an 02 sensor wire was ripped which shorted it out which then melted the wire right up to the ECU, so made a new wire for it and then it was always missfiring and farting around. Anyways took it to my mate at bmw and he plugged it in and spent a long time checking all the systems were working and trying to diagnose the problem, turns out it has burnt the earth track in the ECU for the o2 sensors, FFS. New ECU is arriving on monday to be fitted and back to BMW to reflash it to manuel and ill be away!

Things are finally looking up, its an absolute weapon to drive, the new motor has much more go than the old one did. When i get the new ecu i will make a few videos, but in the mean time i have some average photos of just the exterior for you guys. Henry is going to help me take some awesome ones! haha thanks mate

post-2328-1264129876.jpg

post-2328-1264129913.jpg

post-2328-1264129921.jpg

post-2328-1264129929.jpg

Awesome!! Yes, I still want it! Im admiring your dedication, ten points for staying on top of it

total shame you run a bearing man, but hay new motor is always good. good on ya for keeping it alive

I sure can help, still waiting on a nice day here in shitschurch..

Guest Simon*

Sweet to hear it still lives Sammy.

So you've swapped in a 4.4L? And aside from changing loom, waterpumps, etc there are no issues with the gearbox? Mates up ok still?

Awesome effort Sammy... can't WAIT to see this thing in action

From my reseach it appears it is possible to mate the e39 6speed to an m60 with minimal issues and its all meant to be bolt in.

I'd say the same vice versa. Will be in touch Sam as have some questions.

Guest Simon*

From my reseach it appears it is possible to mate the e39 6speed to an m60 with minimal issues and its all meant to be bolt in.

Ian I read your comment as - an E39 manual gearbox, to mate up to M60B40 from E34? Correct?

I'm asking from the angle of chucking a M60B44 (4.4L from E39) into mine

Ian I read your comment as - an E39 manual gearbox, to mate up to M60B40 from E34? Correct?

yes all m60/ m62 n62 engines have same bellhousing etc .

so yes 6spd e39 box onto a e34 , e39 m60 engine . or M62 4.4L into a e34 540i 6spd etc .

i have a spare 4.4L was saving for a rainy day project like that

Awesome. From what i've read it's a matter of reflashing the ECU (like Sam's doing) to manual and you're away.

Nah I swapped in a 4l out of an e39 because I wasn't sure about the ecu's and wiring etc. But when I was doing my research either gearbox will fit onto either motor.

Sure mate feel free to pm me.