Sign in to follow this  
briancol

Thanks to Johno (Zenetti)

C0SM0S needed a new set of tyres, and after discussions with Glenn and other Nexen users, I decided to go ahead with new feet for my coupe.

A quick call to Johno last Thursday and a quote I went ahead with the deal. Unfortunately I was told that Nexen were no longer available, but Roadstar tyres were. They are the same as Nexen but with another name.

I called in at Mag & Tyre Direct on Friday and they fitted the front tyres and I had to wait till today the get the rear ones fitted. Surprise surprise Johno found a set of Nexens for me. My car has 255x35x18" and 225x40x18" so being a large tyre there were obviously a few left over.

Guys, these tryes are sooooo good. After the Yokohama's that I had, the Nexens are so quiet I don't have to turn the stereo up to hide the road noise any more, and the road handling is superb.

So to Johno and the guys at Mag & Tyre Direct, a big thank you.

And to any other Bimmersporter who needs tyres or alloys, go and see Johno, you'll be pleased that you did.

It's just as well these tyres are quiet Pjay, cos I won't have the sound system in the car till tomorrow or Wednesday.

The head unit was the wrong one so Hayden has to replace it and the sub box wasn't complete yesterday. Hayden did most of the rewiring yesterday and the only problem I had with him was he only drank one bottle of Hienekin.

You haven't trained him very well Peter.

It's just as well these tyres are quiet Pjay, cos I won't have the sound system in the car till tomorrow or Wednesday.

The head unit was the wrong one so Hayden has to replace it and the sub box wasn't complete yesterday. Hayden did most of the rewiring yesterday and the only problem I had with him was he only drank one bottle of Hienekin.

You haven't trained him very well Peter.

Hahaha, hes not much of a Drinker, except this one time I remember. I bumped into him at a Vodka party and I believe he awoke the next morning in his driveway. Missing his wallet.

Guest Ari Gold

Opinions are like assholes, remember...

I have them, probably wouldn't buy them again purely because they have a stiffer sidewall than I require...

Tyrereviews.co.uk - gives the Nexen N6000 a 43% overall rating compared to a 56% overall rating for a Bridgestone Turanza ER30 - are these really such a hot tyre we should all be rushing to get - only 30% polled would buy them again??

ok Ron you are the tyre guru. Obviously you have test driven on thousands of different tyres.

Have you ever driven on these tyres?? If not, how can you give an opinion??

For a start, the Nexen N6000 is not available in NZ so your comments are totally irrelevant.

NZ roads are far different to British roads. There are plenty of people on here who like the Nexen tyre. Granted, they may not be an out and out performance tyre. But then again, they are not a direct competitor to your precious Pirelli's. They do however, fit the criteria that a lot of people on here want. They are a good, quiet, directional tyre that wear well and offer plenty of grip.

If you haven't got something constructive to say or have 1st hand experience please keep your negative comments to yourself.

The point of this original post was to publicly thank a sponsor (which just happens to be me), which doesn't happen a lot. Brian is very happy with his purchase. Why can't you just leave it at that rather than dip your oar in and make a worthless and totally irrelevant post?

BTW: look at how the N3000 rated at 67% (Economy Performance) vs the Bridgestone RE050 at 71% ( Ultra High Performance. That site is pretty crap any way - not a lot of reviews really.

Edited by zenetti

ok Ron you are the tyre guru. Obviously you have test driven on thousands of different tyres.

Have you ever driven on these tyres?? If not, how can you give an opinion??

For a start, the Nexen N6000 is not available in NZ so your comments are totally irrelevant.

NZ roads are far different to British roads. There are plenty of people on here who like the Nexen tyre. Granted, they may not be an out and out performance tyre. But then again, they are not a direct competitor to your precious Pirelli's. They do however, fit the criteria that a lot of people on here want. They are a good, quiet, directional tyre that wear well and offer plenty of grip.

If you haven't got something constructive to say or have 1st hand experience please keep your negative comments to yourself.

The point of this original post was to publicly thank a sponsor (which just happens to be me), which doesn't happen a lot. Brian is very happy with his purchase. Why can't you just leave it at that rather than dip your oar in and make a worthless and totally irrelevant post?

BTW: look at how the N3000 rated at 67% (Economy Performance) vs the Bridgestone RE050 at 71% ( Ultra High Performance. That site is pretty crap any way - not a lot of reviews really.

Well said!!!!

lawl. Ill be rocking Nexens by the weekend too..

Nexen buddies Brian. Me and you

Your first post clearly reeked of sarcasm, and that is what I had the issue with. When I was at uni we had a saying "1 book is plagurism, 5 books are research".

2 reviews on the N6000 (in my opinion) does not equate to robust criteria and does not help with making an "informed buying decision". If you had bothered to look at tyretest.com you would have found a much larger number of reviews. However, these reviews are largely pointless in the context of NZ roads. Here in NZ we have a very 'unique' surface that virtually renders overseas reviews of the tyre irrelevant. While it may help with the broader picture it really should not be used as a basis to buy tyres.

What does help with an informed buying decision is people that have had 'real world experience', hence I was happy to learn what you thought about the Bridgestone vs Dunlop topic. Clearly you haven't driven on the N3000 for any extended period of time, hence my post that your comments were irrelevant and worthless.

Peace out and good night.

haha. yeah that is the work wagon! I do have an E36 motorsport coupe as well which the wife drives around in.

Wicked, silly question. But whats your number? Cant find it for the life of me, just wanna discuss some tyre stuff instead of PM. Its easier

Wicked, silly question. But whats your number? Cant find it for the life of me, just wanna discuss some tyre stuff instead of PM. Its easier

580 1371

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve 3pedals.

Like Jonno said - this was a thread about thanking Mag and Tyre direct for great service. It can stay that way. If you would like to start a thread about Nexens then please do so.

I will make one comment here.

The tryes that came off my car were Yokohamas and they were the noisiest tryes I have ever come across. Now that I have the Nexens on I am thoroughly enjoying driving my car again. And that is the most important thing to me.

I'm more than happy with my Nexens as well.... thanks again Johno

Thats what the thread was for... to say thanks

Zeneti Could you advise off the cuff the best tyre for an E39, not sporty just the softest and quietest tyres you would recommend.

Still factory rim size 16, but suggest 17's as well I think I would get rims at the same time if 17 has a softer tyre.

Perhaps it is best to make a new thread e39kiwitouring.

PM, or call. His numbers above. Ill be in soon(ish) Jonno for my tyres thanks.

Going to pick up the rims after work :D

Zeneti Could you advise off the cuff the best tyre for an E39, not sporty just the softest and quietest tyres you would recommend.

Still factory rim size 16, but suggest 17's as well I think I would get rims at the same time if 17 has a softer tyre.

pm sent :)

PM, or call. His numbers above. Ill be in soon(ish) Jonno for my tyres thanks.

Going to pick up the rims after work :D

sweet!! no doubt we wil see you tomorrow

+1 Thanks to Jonno.

Learned that the engineer that did my rims didnt bore them out 100%, and Jonno was such a top bloke he swapped the lug nuts I was given for some thin spline nuts, which still didn't fit properly.

Taking the rims back in today after work to the wheel guy, who is incredibly skeptical that they could've been bored incorrectly. But as Jonno and his colleague/mate showed me, they're not really bored correct at all. So hope to have it sorted in the next few days.

In the mean time the wheels have been sitting in the mrs bedroom, looking so lonely without tyres. They would be so pretty with tyres, oh so pretty.

Anyway... heres another plug for Mag and Tyre direct.

Such top blokes.

And here's a wee teaser:

Posted Image

Thought I'd toss my ten cents in the ring here and offer my thanks to a sponsor also...

On Johno's reccommendation I had a new set of Bridgestone Potenza RE001's fitted to my new toy today.. and I cannot believe the difference over the original tyres... drives way better, little (if any) tracking and they are oh so silent.... just brilliant. Great service from the guy's over at Penrose and a great price as well.. could'nt be happier.

Big thanks Johno, really appreciate it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ewen. It was great to meet you too and your Ti is agreat looking beast! I can't take much of the credit as it was Shannon that did all the work and helped you out.

Look forward to seeing you again

cheers

Johno

Edited by zenetti