Sign in to follow this  
DRTDVL

Peugeot 205 GTi MI16

It is hard breaking marque loyality... But i'm happy to admire BMWs from a distance... Preferably in the rear view mirror =;-)

But do have to say yours and others on here have some stunning cars i would love to own...

Hells yeah year 11 french ftw I know what Dylan said.

While I am here, do want your car...again

Whooo the saga continues!

On Saturday I decided that it was time to finally kill off the 306, she'd been a long and trusted friend providing many smiles... But I was time to get serious, she needed lots of work to be 100% again and it just wasn't worth it... So donor car she becomes...

So parts being stolen from the 306 for the 205...

- Gearbox, this will fix my problem with the 1st and 3rd syncro's being dead. I'll look at swapping over the Quaife LSD diff and the 1.6 final ratios that’s in the 205 gearbox.

- Brakes, the 306 was running the 307 front brakes on it which are an upgrade on the 306's... The 307 front discs are 283mm vs. the 244mm (or around that) front discs on the 205...

Now slapping the 307 brakes on the 306 took a whooping 30min....

Today we started at 12:30ish and by 6pm they still where not on the car... Turns out that my 205 runs the crap 1.6 gti front hubs, driveshaft’s, control arms, etc... and because these are different to the 1.9 205's, 306's, and 307's we couldn't fit them directly to the car. We started to strip the hubs and driveshaft’s off the 306 to see if they would fit but they are 20mm to long, whooo... now given that both cars where up in the air, wheels off, and brakes off, it wasn't going to be easy to undo the hubnuts to see if we could just use the 306 hubs on the 1.6 setup. So after a few phone calls and much grrrness I’ve got someone hunting down a set of 1.9 gti gear for the car in exchange for some 306 bits. So we had to put the 205 back together so we could roll it out of the driveway and back in it's storage spot.

Now it's even more fun as the 1.6 hubs have had stud conversions done to them... and the new hubs won't! whooo more fun... So it looks like I’ll be on the hunt for a new stud conversion kit also.

The gearbox will be swapped over after it's removed from the 306 next weekend. The 205 and the gearbox will be delivered to Greg's to do the swap for me, as the 306 s16 runs a pull clutch not a push clutch like most cars... Once both gearboxes are off Greg Kents will decide which is the best clutch to use as we don't know what the 205 has in it. So all things working out it looks like maybe this time next month I might have a race ready car.

Rock on!

Sounds like awesome fun, Heath.

Those new brakes should do the trick for avoiding vehicles trying to cut you off on the motorway huh?

Sounds like awesome fun, Heath.

Those new brakes should do the trick for avoiding vehicles trying to cut you off on the motorway huh?

I"ve sold the engine out of the S16 (talk about perfect timing - a fastfrogs member blew his engine up a  little while back) so the cash from that will be used to pay for all the gearbox work, brake bais valve, new brake lines. The only thing left to do after that will be to get some new race compound brake pads, and then it's go time baby!

Ohhh i'll also need to upgrade the master cylinder to a 23.8mm on from the 405 t16 as with the larger calipers you get some travel in the pedal before the brakes really start working... 

Good stuff! Perfect solution to your problem, look forwardededed to seeing you at some track days now that you’ll have no excuses.

If it’s any consolation for not finishing the job, you guys looked the part and had some nice tools and it looked more fun them mowing the lawns.

Edited by Apex

I"m hoping to have it all done by this time next month... then it's just a matter of finding somewhere to go have a good blast in it...

Up until know i've been holding back on driving it... as i've got no confidence in the brakes and didn't want to damage the gearbox any further...

I know the 306 box is good as it was looked over when i put a new clutch in it last year, i had all the seals and stuff done at the same time and Greg pulled the end off to have a inspection of the box and tighten a few things up. The 306 also has hardly been driven in that time also...

As the 205 runs the mi16 engine it's got the same flywheel as whats on the s16, Greg and Mark can't remember if the engine was balanced or not, so we are just going to use the MI16 flywheel instead of the S16 fly. I can't wait until it's all up and running, i'm thinking i'll increase the shift length a little also to be a bit kinder on the syncro's. The modified lever arm has 3 positions on it for shifter length so it's easy to adjust.

Can you use the 306 master cylinder?

Kinda, it would be better than the 205's one, and we are going to use it in the meantime, but it's only 22mm and is still too small... really need to splash out and get the 23.8mm one...

Ah ok, 22mm - I couldn't remember. Were the brakes ok in the 306 with that m/c? My recollection on my mate's car is that it was adequate but not fantastic.

Sounding like this is evolving slowly into even more of a monster, loving the sound of it. Good luck sorting those brakes out.

*Flame Suit ON* If I can't find a nice new e30 I'm buying a 205 GTi :ph34r:

ya they where a little soft with the 306 m/c and the 307 calipers but really need the 23.8mm m/c for true stopping power.

and then they pull up big time... the extra 40mm of disc and much heavier calipers does increase the unsprung weight a fair bit but it's worth it.

Didn't think I'd say this but damn I wish I hadn't bought another E30...

I see a theme emerging.

bimmersport - New Zealand's BMW and 205 GTI fanboy Community

Right don't know if you guys remember me commenting about the hydrolic handbrake sticking on or not, but this is what happens when rear pads are constantly overheated...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And I went for a ride in that death trap!!!!! Just joking - man those things are fooked!

Were you aware that it was happening? Notice any change in the braking over time? Wonder how much horsepower it was using???

Slow down man! :P

That car is seriously wicked! looks like a hell of a lot of fun....

Right found a love spreadsheet online with the 1.6 and s16 gearbox ratio's and this is basically what i've got and what i'll have after the swap.

('box/FD) 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th FD

205 GTI 1.6/1.6 3.31 1.88 1.36 1.07 0.87 4.06

306 GTI/S16 2.92 1.85 1.28 0.97 0.76 4.43

306 GTI/1.6 gti 2.92 1.85 1.28 1.07 0.87 4.06

KPH @ Redline (redline = 7200)

205 GTI 1.6/1.6 58 102 142 180 221

306 GTI/S16 60 95 138 182 232

306 GTI/1.6 gti 66 104 150 198 253

i'm thinking that the 306 box and final drive would work quite well in the 205.

You're km don't match the ratios on the third line. I'm sure of it.

1,2,3 from the s16, 4,5 and FD from the 1.6 ---> looks genuinely close ratio :)

Hmmm, maybe consider 3rd from 1.6 too.

1st and 3rd syncros in the 1.6 box are screwed. I'd love to pull apart the box and make a 1,2,3rd from the s16 and 4th and 5th from the 1.6 box. The 8 kph differance in third doesn't really bother me to much the 18kph dif in 4th isn't ideal. I don't have the knowledge to pull apart the box and rebuild it myself nor do I have the cash for it atthe moment. I'll look at buying a second box later to build anouther close ratio for the car.

Those speeds for the s16 would be about right but I could be very wrong it was just a spreadsheet I found.

I've been talking to a few people and the recommendation is to take the 24mm antiroll bar from the 306 get it cut down by 80mm and respline the end to fit into the 205 upgrading the one there.

Picked up some new toys today...

5 x Dunlop D01J's (2 basically new, 2 1/2 worn, 1 3mm tread)

4 x MI16 alloy wheel

1 x Wilwood knob adjust brake bias valve

1 x Baker Bushes and Mounting Solid Rear Axle Mounts

1 x Black 205 Auto Bonnet

I'll be running the s16 box and the s16 final drive...

Car's booked in on monday for the gearbox and bias valve to be done...

Choice car dude

would give a lot of e30s a good run for their money!

use to have a 405, fun cars

just for those that don't know;

Standard Bonnet:

Posted Image

Auto Bonnet:

Posted Image

Ahhhhhh get rid of that 90’s abomination of a tuned car!!! :gay: What the Fark!!!! :D

Thanks for clearing that up Heath!

LOL, I am quite possibly the only person reading to think "auto bonnet - awesome!".