Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

E30S50

Nice work James - glad it all went well for you in the race! I'll bet Chris won't get a look in the season??

With the oily residue on the slicks - did you use anything to clean off the release agent from when they were made? Usually has some kind of silicone wax in it that stays on the tyre. I use CRC and a micro-fibre cloth to rub it off before scrubbing in. Just a thought...

Chris is focusing on driving the F5000 this season (if his body is up to it) so I will be doing the full season in the e30.

I didn't use anything to rub the tires, drove on them straight away.

Congrats man ... few close call there haha .. but looking forward to seeing you out in the open series.

Because I have nothing better to do this morning I started analyzing data:

Here is the breakdown of best corner and straight line speeds from the 4hr vs old data.

Front Strai, T1, Back, T2, T7, Straight, T8, Straight, T9, Straight, T10

Hanko.. James - 211, 115, 167, 88, 102, 145, 62, 135, 60, 176, 107

Dunlup. James - 208, 098, 161, 87, 105, 137, 57, 135, 65, 167, 97

Summery - Due to lack of turn in at lower speeds I was getting understeer into turn 2 which led to turn 7 not being lined up correctly, this resulted in a lower speed over the crest. This was also a problem going into the hairpin as I was braking early due to under-steer on corner entry coming over the crest.

It could be a bump steer issue or it could be for another reason.....my tires were all 30psi hot but the front left was 10C hotter on the outside than the inside with all other tires having perfect temps. I am guessing this is because I ran out of time to do a proper wheel alignment so did it by sight and until the car tracked in a straight line.

Can't wait to get testing before the icebreaker and get the setup perfect.

Dyno Feb 2011 vs Nov 2012, only difference being the headers having the dents removed.

Posted Image

Current wheel alignment settings...

Posted Image

Current corner weights, I could probably wind up the left hand side perches to get it square.

Weights were taken with a 100kg Driver and 40kg of fuel in the boot:

Posted Image

Time for an Update:

Even though the dyno was saying I had 270rwhp, I felt I was down on power at the last meeting. Last night I started to tear down the car (to find the reason) and found the #3 spark plug has been hitting the piston (giving near 0mm spark plug clearance), also cylinders #1 and #3 are down 50psi on compression compared to the other cylinders. (200psi on #2, #4, #5, #6)

I'm not really surprised, this S50B32 has managed to last 15 years (with 4 years of racing) with no major rebuild.

Edited by Jamez

sweet time to raise the compression and do cams :D

I agree... but I'm biast...

It's been a while since an update, recently got the motor back so its time to put it back together!

Dan and I will be doing some enduro's this winter, follow https://www.facebook.com/bmw303 in order to keep updated.

fov5kaoz.yum.jpg

• Like 1

Normally I just adjust it until it feels right, but I ended up paying some money to two different places and went slower both times. You just can't beat adjusting it on the day to what feels right, it also helps to take a second or two off the lap time.

Then again, if you don't know what your adjusting and how the car will react as a result, your better off just getting a standard alignment :)

It's finally back together after a year on jack stands and is looking pretty tuff, I have done a fair bit of maintenance (off the top of my head):
  • Rebuilt the Motor with OEM spec parts - It already makes enough power so there was no need to increase fuel consumption and reduce reliability with go fast bits.
  • Rebuilt Front Calipers
  • Straightened the wheel base (it was 1cm shorter on the LHS previously which caused a heap of problems)
  • Replaced front cross-member and added metal to where it should mount (it had rusted away)
  • Replaced Engine/Gearbox/Diff/Brake/Clutch/Power Steering Oil
  • Replaced Front and Rear rotors
  • Fitted Z3M Diff cover
  • Fitted light weight flywheel and replaced pressure plate etc.
  • Fitted headlights (looks far less like a bastard child)
  • Fitted bonnet vent (engine bay was getting over pressurized causing the bonnet to lift)
  • Painted odd bits such as the front bumper
  • Urethaned the engine and shifter mounts
  • Moved the engine back slightly.
  • Given everything a thorough clean

There are still a few loose ends to tie up but for the most part its ready to race in the north island enduro's this winter. In the coming weeks the car will be sporting a bimmersport livery on part of the car :)

1zxsish0.jrt.jpg
4dtuqnbf.x43.jpg
  • Like 2

very cool james , but how's the alpina B7 coming along =)

very cool james , but how's the alpina B7 coming along =)

Now that I have the room to bring it home I will start working on it next month. The engine is being rebuilt at the moment so it will be going by the end of the year with a bit of luck, its going to be quite standard to start in order to get it done, otherwise it wont be ready until next year.

Update time:

Took the e30 for its first drive in anger in almost 2 years, managed to turn a 1:12.8 on lap 3 of the first session with a few niggles still to iron out. Then spent the day tweaking the car to make it easier to drive at those times rather than it feeling on edge.

Dan still has a bit of time to cut off, but his corner speeds are similar so its just a matter of him getting a few clean laps together in order to get my times.

At the head of the day I was hitting consistent 1:12.9's with no rear brakes (had to push all bias to front as we ran out of rear pad), so with new slicks, rear brakes and all the niggles fixed, I reckon we can maintain 1:12's all day at Hampton, possibly even lower when the car is fresh.

Car has a tendency of over-steer so will drop the rear sway bar link at the next track day and then use more toe out to correct that under-steer and give better turn in.

Going to be interesting to see what we can get down to at Puki in 2 weeks with all the problems ironed out.

Bonus for the day was finding out we may be able to fill 120L in 30 seconds, so gone are the days of an 8min pitstop

Car has never look so together before :)

22kzxr0f.s0d.jpg

A quick video of how the car handles in the cold / warm / hot:

• Like 1

I just compared some corner speed data, and we are 10km/h slower round some of the fast corners so there is still heaps of dialling in to do, the only reason we are not slower than before is because the motor is far stronger and makes up for the lack of corner speed.

Just to bump this thread. A lot has gone on, I had to rebuild the motor again (two pistons cracked) and this time did it myself, suffice to say its running a lot better now, compression tests are up to around the 210psi mark, up from 180-190 that the last build got.

Big thanks to M3AN on the forum for letting me rent your timing tools, I will replace the pin I bent after this weekend is over :)

Now making some really good power at the wheels, 310rwhp to be exact, it's also making over 300rwhp from 6000-7500rpm which is primo.

There are heaps of pics on the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/bmw303 and I put little updates a lot of the time.

We are racing this weekend in the 6 hour enduro, live feed will be live.hamptondowns.com - I will be having a live in car feed as well.

• Like 1

Just to bump this thread. A lot has gone on, I had to rebuild the motor again (two pistons cracked) and this time did it myself, suffice to say its running a lot better now, compression tests are up to around the 210psi mark, up from 180-190 that the last build got.

Big thanks to M3AN on the forum for letting me rent your timing tools, I will replace the pin I bent after this weekend is over :)

Now making some really good power at the wheels, 310rwhp to be exact, it's also making over 300rwhp from 6000-7500rpm which is primo.

There are heaps of pics on the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/bmw303 and I put little updates a lot of the time.

We are racing this weekend in the 6 hour enduro, live feed will be live.hamptondowns.com - I will be having a live in car feed as well.

Nice work. I enjoy your facebook updates.

That seems like huge power atw. Is it all in the tune?

It's due to a combination of factors:

The motor is making peak compression for its type - This is thanks to new OEM BMW parts and a proper running in procedure.

The injectors have been serviced - Flow patterns were off on two

The motor has a 3" straight through exhaust. - No cat's, only a cheap muffler on the rear.

The motor has a straight 80mm drain pipe as an intake - No restriction and always gets good cold air.

The ECU has been refined to find the sweet spot at every 500rpm, it used to be tuned in 1000rpm brackets.

I would be interested to see how the motor would do with aftermarket cams and a carbon airbox.