Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

E30S50

I hate you :P

Can't wait to see it running!

Edited by crazyarab

well they are getting near to completion at racefx and will be wanting some wheels soon......so my question to bimmersport is

what size rim should i go for? keeping in mind this is going to be wrapped in slicks and is never going to see NZ roads.

i've been thinking something around 17x8's or even 18x9's

and is staggered fitment advisable?

well they are getting near to completion at racefx and will be wanting some wheels soon......so my question to bimmersport is

what size rim should i go for? keeping in mind this is going to be wrapped in slicks and is never going to see NZ roads.

i've been thinking something around 17x8's or even 18x9's

and is staggered fitment advisable?

17x9's would be best as they fit the NZV8 Slicks (240/625) quite nicely, they also have a lower diameter that works well on the E30 chassis.

The 17x9" ROH wheels the commodores run would be a good starting point, but I think they will need spacers up front.

Those slicks also work fine on 17x8's (what the NZV8's use to run) and there are always plenty available for cheap.

Not knowing your budget, but going to 18x9's will be very heavy if it is anything from the NZ market, and tyre diameters are usually above 645mm which is an issue upfront (Front corner of the footwells & the battery tray).

Don't go staggered, as this inherently induces understeer given your static weight balance would be tipped towards the front anyway and you aren't going to be putting out huge power/torque.

If you are having oversteer issues, it will be the suspension setup that needs attention not bigger rear tyres.

Also the ability to rotate the tyres to get the most life out of them, or if you flat-spot a couple of fronts you can stick them on the back and not right the whole day off (assuming you don't have an endless supply of wheels & tyres).

There is also a 265/625 R17 slick available should you still have "real" power delivery issues.

Speaking from experience & a setup with most likely more power & definitely more torque, 240 wide slicks are adequate (and cheap/plenty-ful) and it will be driver education & car setup that makes it work the best.

*edit:

Just looking at your setup (5lug, e36/ti combo), 17x8 et38 and 240/625 slicks will fit fine with a lip rolling in the rear, no need to "pump" the guards, just check front tyre clearance at full lock.

Edited by E30-323ti

I run 17x8 and 17x8.5 so I can use the nzv8 slicks, well worth it.

cheers for the info guys, will probably end up getting some 17x8's or 9's

Update time, Bought a set 17x8.5 BBS RK's and some 240/640/17 slicks, with an offset of 15 I found once fitted, the cars going to need some guard work and thats a big enough excuse to get M3 syle guards all round.

Last time I went in they had the suspension done and all the engine work done except wiring.

Currently they are sorting out all the loose ends like the clutch/pedal box/exhaust, also I am working on an adapter loom from the S50 to E30

not too long to go :) i'll take some pics later in the week

Edited by Jamez

Went in today to drop power steering bottle off, sadly forgot the camera

All the needs to be done now is the clutch hooked up, some wiring and a few other jobs. Then its reassembly (bonnet, guards, glass ect)

Also bought some eibach coilovers today which should be arriving tomorrow :) will be fitting them on Wednesday and I'll be sure to take the camera then.

Update: Since the last set of pics alot has happened,

coil overs are installed (still need to get offset mounts)

Wheels and slicks are on

bought some M3 guards (haven't installed yet, just tape holding them on at the mo)

exhaust has been finished, its a straight 3" pipe

Z3 anti-roll bar installed

M3 e46 rear brakes installed

Pedal box installed, hence no booster

driveshaft is in

oil cooler in

radiator in

power steering bottle in

also bought a Tech2 Rear bumper and M3 wingmirrors, also will probably end up getting an M3 bootand rear window bit

not that long to go, maybe another week, then it will be off to get dyno'd and painted black

pic's.............

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jamez

Hell of a car. Good wheels and rubber, nice!

Going to be totally stripped and gutted of all tar and deadening yes? Get it on a scale at some stage :D

all the deadening is out, removing all the tar is the next big job, there is about 40kg of it :S

will be interesting to see how much it does weigh, the last racecar was 1100kg but that had all the tar/deadening/carpets/spare wheel ect still in it, but the engine might negate all of that.

watch this space :)

I hear such bad things about the tar removal, dry ice and a hammer is the best method if you didn't already know.

Would be nice to get some accuarate weights of the M20 with all bits compared to the S50 with all bits attached. It is a mild concern for me personally.

The floor tar?? We took it off with a little heat from a heat gun and a small 1" scraper. It came off easy.

Looking orsum James.

Looking damn good James, how much did those guards set you back? Is this becoming a habbit not bolting things on hmmm? :P I do recall some mtech 2 bits sort of "flapping" around hahaha.

Looks sweet James.

I was a bit iffy on your using a pre-f/l but with the M3 flare I love it!