Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Placement of O2 Sensor

Hey guys, have done some googling too find out as much as I can about placing my O2 sensor in the correct place on my downpipe. From what ive collected I should not place it on the bottom of the pipe as it will be more likely to collect moisture, also ive read 1ft back from the turbo?

Obviously this will only affect my light throttle driving but will also play a big part on my tuner being able to get the car base tuned and idling right etc?

Correct me if im wrong as im still learning the gst of these gadgets :rolleyes:

All I know for a fact is you can't put it too close to the turbo, it'll burn to death, and you can't put it too near the end of the exhaust, but that really only applies if you have a really short exhaust (like goes out the side behind the front wheel).

20cm or so down from the first bend on the downpipe would be ideal on your forward top mount set up :)

*PS would have told you on MSN but you aren't there :D Postcount +1

Edited by Incary

What does your tuner recommend ?? If he knows the set up your running, he should be able to point you in the right dirrection.

All I know for a fact is you can't put it too close to the turbo, it'll burn to death, and you can't put it too near the end of the exhaust, but that really only applies if you have a really short exhaust (like goes out the side behind the front wheel).

20cm or so down from the first bend on the downpipe would be ideal on your forward top mount set up :)

*PS would have told you on MSN but you aren't there :D Postcount +1

Yea thats what I was aware of also Henry, so where your saying would be roughly 2-3ft from the turbo. I know they are good for upto 500 deg so that probably makes sense. Lol yea I was too cold to be on the computer any longer :P

What does your tuner recommend ?? If he knows the set up your running, he should be able to point you in the right dirrection.

Thats another good point Glenn I always forget to ask him which make the most sense.. hardest person to get hold of on the face of the earth though haha

Thanks guys!

I knew you'd know a lot of what i typed :D All good, get it sorted and cane the thing around a track! :D

Ive always put them in the front pipe, between the engine and the firewall, at the top of the exhaust pipe.

If you still have a cat make sure the sensor is upstream from it.

This thread was only the 17th one down from the top, never checked the date.

I'm surprised it wasn't buried under all the tumbleweeds