Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

E30 M325i vs 190E Cosworth

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As you guys already know, I am seriously considering this NZ new E30 M325I. I drove it, and it was brilliant. He dropped his price by 2 grand and I was almost certain this would be the one...

Then I check my watchlist and BAM, the 190E Cosworth has dropped another grand and is sitting at $6,000!

I can't make up my mind... I have to say that the Mercedes is looking oh so tempting right now. The only real problem is that it's up in Auckland else I would be over there in a flash.

Anyhow, if you guys were in my position what do you think you would end up buying and why (lets get some useful comparisons going and keep the thread interesting).

I am thinking this poll is going to be close.. even though it is an BMW forum :P

p.s. if anyone has checked out the Merc or does not mind checking it out could you please PM me.

Am wondering what that hunk of wood under the wheels is for. Used to do that when my handbrake didn't work on the Zephyr <_<

I'd say cosworth, Didnt it start off at like 10k

Nooo, E30s are amazing and you know it.

Depending on the condition of the Mercedes I would take the Mercedes. Twin Cam goodness.

Id be very careful with the Merc, they are $$ to fix if anythings wrong, you think an S14 parts are expensive? Think again

Id be very careful with the Merc, they are $$ to fix if anythings wrong, you think an S14 parts are expensive? Think again

I was going to say that but then I thought E30 parts aren’t cheap either and the internet has made obtaining parts easier.

The Gearboxes in the Mercs are meant to be bullet proof and are very sought after in the Mercedes community.

Crazy Arab, looking forward, I know a guy in your neck of the woods that has two 190e Cosies and runs a very good workshop, he would be the man to talk to about service.

Test drive them both mate. At the same time, and buy the one that you like most.

Even make a Reality TV show about it.. Totally feasible in today's TV world

............ you'll just have to buy both :rolleyes:

I am leaning to the Merc, always thought these were a future collectable, but then again, I have a mate with a Merc of this vintage, and it is a money pit!!

You need to drive both, lots of cheap airfares around at the moment, see which one makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up most !

........... or buy both !!

The Gearboxes in the Mercs are meant to be bullet proof and are very sought after in the Mercedes community.

I'm pretty sure its just a regular old 265 getrag (ie good enough for M3 and 535i/635i, etc). Its strong.

Merc if you can handle the repair bills if it goes wrong. Totally under-rated future classic in my opinion.

Merc - like a E30 M3 but not as good and cheaper. a M325i is a glorified 325i, not that I don't like them

Right. I am also interested in buying a 2.3 16v cossie.

I have driven the one you've linked. The interior trim at top by front windscreen is sagging/heat warped, so is the top right trim near drivers door. Rear right interior has fallen off by quarter panel. Supposedly the top end has been rebuilt...however, I have found there is an excessive tappetty noise, the owner advised this is normal for these mercs as they're high strung etc....I cannot confirm what they should sound like as the ones on YouTube have poor sound quality and I have not viewed any others. There also appears to be a leak in the exhaust.

The rebuild was also done by previous owner, the current owner has no receipts for the work and advises to get in contact with previous owner (he knows name etc).

Small rip is starting in drivers seat leather (I picture this being expensive to fix).

Exterior is faultless (I viewed it late at night and light wasn't the best, but it looks like a minter)

The rear SLS has been fully replaced (saw receipts for this).

If you don't mind fixing up a few things, it would be a pretty mint car.

Went well and the owner was somewhat of an enthusiast (owning 2 other mercs).

The other merc on trademe for 7k I intend to view in the next week.

Ian.

Edited by Creaver

Depends Daily Driver is it???

If that the case the BM surely, if it's a weekend tinkerer car I'd go the 190 way, as you well I already have a BMW, woudn't contemplate crusing a quater of a million K merc every day thats 20 years old and is rear, and has a cosworth bits.

If it came down to driver experience I have driven a 190 cosworth when it had 44k on it years ago, blew me away unbelievable drivers car, still around RJ7422 was thge rego number.

I vote M325i. Parts are the same as all E30s... tonnes of E30's around.

Cossie's... not so much. How many are there in the country? I'd imagine less than 15.

I vote M325i. Parts are the same as all E30s... tonnes of E30's around.

Cossie's... not so much. How many are there in the country? I'd imagine less than 15.

But that's the attraction. I personally am a person that loves "rare" items or hard to find things. Its all so much.. better

Yes, but the only thing rarer than the car will be cash in your bank account.

Atta has previously expressed wishing to downgrade due to other investments he has going on... A Cosworth Mercedes, IMO, is not a wise investment.

Test drive them both mate. At the same time, and buy the one that you like most.

As he has already explained the m325 is in Christchurch and the 190E is in Auckland....not so easy when theyre at opposite ends of the country.

The m325 is obviously a nice car, but the Merc is something a little special. If you can handle the looks (never been a huge Merc fan on that basis alone) and the running costs, surely its better to have something to really light your fire rather than something thats probably only 80% of that.

TBMW did a comparison a while ago between the 190E and an e30 M3. The M3 pipped it, but only just, could you say the same about an m325 ?

Too hard, cant vote.

I owned a Merc 190e cossie and it they are a pretty nice car..

They go really well and aren't afraid to be revved up towards the red line.

I would pick the Cossie over the 325M. Compared to the e30 M3 the price for these is nothing and they may start to become more collectable.

Just make sure the Merc is mechanically sound if you buy it. Small rips in interior can be fixed any time, engine work is a little different.

Laurence

The M325 every day. I'm not Bimmer exclusive in my car enthusiasm, but I just couldn't take that Merc. I'd guess there are far more than 15 in the country, judging by the numbers that come up for sale, they are horrendously expensive to fix, being an early twin cam 4 valve, it will almost certainly lack low down torque and it doesn't have enough competition pedigree to be really compared with an E30 M3. Road & Track did a comparo years ago when the 325is and M3 were new in the States. They said the M3 was a special car for weekends and sports oriented driving, but the 325 was the better bet for every day and a bit of occasional fun. But hey, at the end of the day, if it's supposed to be a fun car for you, buy with your heart and wear the consequences.

BMW FTW.

The Merc is nice (nice engine, thats it) and maybe worth more in the future, using it as a daily might kill your wallet as opposed to the E30 that everyone has a sh*t load of spares for.

Awesome comments guys, as usual!

My brain is still a bit :wacko: trying to weigh them up though.

p.s. I have a great Mercedes mechanic here in Christchurch who is very reasonably priced (same for BMW's) so hopefully repairs and maintenance will be affordable if I can source parts.

I voted for the merc, and would hit that all day long.

But as far as parts goes, search on TM and see how many pages of e30 parts there are compared to 190e parts.

Guest Ari Gold

Say no to 190e's

The head on them flows better than an S14 head, but that's the only special thing about the car.

Their handling is rubbish.