Sign in to follow this  
ACS E46

3 Month Licence Suspension

Hello all,

This is probably a dumb question but does anybody know, if you lose your licence from having too many demerits (over 100), and you are given a 3 mth suspension, is that exactly 90 days or is it from date to date ie. 11 May - 11 August?

:P

Cheers!

D

Isn't it usually 6 months? :S

6 months is for Drink Driving I think.....

Ohhh, My bad.

What happens if my licence is suspended for excess demerit points?

If you accumulate 100 or more active demerit points in any two-year period, your licence can be suspended for three months. The suspension begins when the suspension documents are served on you by the Police or the NZTA. You must surrender your licence to the Police or the NZTA or an authorised NZTA agent.

Link

Does the 2 year period start from the first demerits you get or what? I have 80 :(

Edited by Poontangsquibble

i don't understand the system my mate just got done for it and got 28days but i knew another guy who lost it for 3 months..

i got let off sustained loss which was 6 months thankgod :D

Over 100 points in two years equals 90 days disqualification. I know this because I lost mine a couple of years back. No more Turbo’s for me.

They will send you a letter or someone will come round and collect your licence.

I'm sitting on 145 demerits at the moment (yes I know ... don't lecture me).

Your license does not get taken off you for three months, until you have paid or start paying off the fines from your last infringement notice (that took you over 100 points) . Then you are sent a letter/advised to arrange a time for you license to be taken, thats when it starts.

So by the time I gather money to pay my last fine .. which is going to take a little while, I still have my license, just be careful as you can still drive, but if they quietly place a warrant on you you're f**ked.

Your license does not get taken off you for three months, until you have paid or start paying off the fines from your last infringement notice (that took you over 100 points) . Then you are sent a letter/advised to arrange a time for you license to be taken, thats when it starts.

ummm... No... they'll issue a notice to suspend and when the agency gets around to it, they'll send someone.,

Sometimes the notice is issued and the police will pull you over randomly and hear you have a notice to suspend and take your licence... the "start paying your fines first" thing ended a year ago...

ummm... No... they'll issue a notice to suspend and when the agency gets around to it, they'll send someone.,

Sometimes the notice is issued and the police will pull you over randomly and hear you have a notice to suspend and take your licence... the "start paying your fines first" thing ended a year ago...

No it didn't, ring the Ministry of Justice and find that out for yourself, which I did and had confirmed earlier in the week.

Guest FrantiC

Yeah I lost mine 1 month ago for 3 months. 27th April a guy came around from LTNZ agency to collect it and serve me with my notice (which they make you sign etc etc), get it back ON the 27th July. So yes it is date to date.

I was hoping to try get away with it, because I didnt actually know demerits are recorded against you AFTER you pay the fine. Cos I had 50, Then got pulled up doing 72 and got 35, hadn't paid that and a few weeks later got done again 71 and got another 35 thought he would have taken it off me there and then cos it was the same cop, but he said "Your lucky, guess you haven't paid that last one I gave you".

Took like 2 or 3 weeks after I paid both fines at once to go through and someone to come get my licence. If they had taken it right when I had got the fines I would probably be close to getting them back by now. I didn't pay my fines til like a month after I got them lol.

my points expired the day after i got my ticket...

it took them 4 months to come get my licence

Well, i lost my licence on the day of the offence. Officer took my licence off me right then and there :(

BUT, I found the information I needed as per my first post (top).

It is not 90 days, in fact, it is date to date. ie. 12 March to 12 June. The reason for my inquiry was so i knew exactly when i could drive again asap :P

For anyone that needs to know/get it clarified, you can call NZTA on 0800 822 422 and they are very helpfull.

Hope this helps

Dan

It is not 90 days, in fact, it is date to date. ie. 12 March to 12 June. The reason for my inquiry was so i knew exactly when i could drive again asap :P

I wonder what happens then if it starts on the 31st January... April only has 30 days...

I wonder what happens then if it starts on the 31st January... April only has 30 days...

Good question... I guess its 3 calendar months... But yeah.. again, not sure. You'd have to ring up ;)

yeah it only kicks in when you pay your fines, ive got a mate whos got 110 demerits hes been dodging baycorp/ police for about a year and they've pretty much given up so hes still got his lisence on him and it hasnt been suspended yet

Guest FrantiC

yeah it only kicks in when you pay your fines, ive got a mate whos got 110 demerits hes been dodging baycorp/ police for about a year and they've pretty much given up so hes still got his lisence on him and it hasnt been suspended yet

Well he would be screwed if he got pulled up again Lol.

I have 2 more months to go for mine.. yay.

hes been pulled twice for doing skids, lucky each time its been cib and not just a traffic cop, they couldnt be bothered with the paper work so they gave him a warning and let him off.. lucky bastard

Be Clever and lose your license in February for 3 months, you can have the last laugh because it's only 89 days

[ we can still have a laugh while we are driving round with a license ]

So if you lose your license for 6 months! How many days would that be? 

Edited by Halkord
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

^^^^^^^^^ This is an eleven year old thread. What is the point in dredging this up?

• Haha 2