Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

New car required for the Mrs

Have a 2002 Mini JCW (John Cooper Works)

Approx 70,000km

NZ New

Twin Sunroof

Alot of extras on this model

Tiptronic

Around your price..( a tweak more)

pm me if any interest.

Too big sadly. I initially tried to push her down the 3 series/E46 route, but she says mine is too big and heavy for easy parking in the city.... I had one of these in the UK as a rental a couple of years back. It was very disconcerting having that long nose - and if I remember correctly, it was a bit of a nightmare to park (tighter parking spaces admitedly, but much more difficult than the E90 I had in Germany the week after).

Toyots yaris?

Dunno what VW's are priced like but most likely above the 20k region

Some nice done up examples tho :P

Golf

Posted Image

Passatt

Posted Image

Polo

Posted Image

Edited by Boost Junky

The Polo GTI is cool!

From what I've read on this thread... I would say "New Mrs required for the car I bought 2 weeks ago" would be alot easier to achieve (no offence intended)

Sadly...the Mini autos (CVT) give alot of problems

Any CVT Glenn, you should know that.

Get an e30. (Can't believe no one has said that yet)

I already bought one for my mrs,M tech II manual,brand new DZ101 205/50/15 tyres.bilsten sock all around HID headlight, :P but just 2ltr.dont think she will need more power.

Funnily enough, Ross at BM Workshop gave me the same run down this morning. And not cheap problems either....

Get her to practice parking in a bigger car and then get her a 3 series?

Edited by Wom

From what I've read on this thread... I would say "New Mrs required for the car I bought 2 weeks ago" would be alot easier to achieve (no offence intended)

You speak the truth oh wise master.....

Is there anything particularly special that I need to watch out for on the mk4 Golfs? I'm thinking about a tdi or 2.0l auto as nothing else really seems to fit the bill. They seem to be a bit easier on the budget as well (which is good - I have plenty of things to spend another $5k on...).

The whole CVT reliability issue really scares me with the Mini - replacement transmissions are big $ from what I have been told. And, if you believe the internet, a frequent problem.... Lots of people have had to replace them.

Get her to practice parking in a bigger car and then get her a 3 series?

I actually tried to convince her to drive a manual. No way Jose... Maybe I am just not persuassive enough....

lol fair enough

my gf was a bit easier to find a car for ... all her requirements were that it had to be auto and under $8000

I tried to convince her that there's nothing wrong with a big old sedan (or coupe), but she's only driven a Civic from the time she got her licence, so she has no confidence in a bigger car at all ... she even refuses to drive my little old 323i

those Golf's are nice looking cars, saw a black GTI parked up in town the other day, had a really nice set of wheels that filled the arches quite nicely

there are a a few 307 facelift hdi's on trademe at themoment.... good cars!

Righto - time for an update....

The saga continues, although we are pointing in the right direction now. Or maybe I should rephrase it that she has come around to my way of thinking. :ph34r: After driving many breeds and models it looks like the Mk5 Golf is the result.

We seriously looked hard at 307's, but I was just never 100% on them. Nothing serious - they all drove well and were well specced - I actually think it was the 4spd auto trans that bugged me. We were pretty serious about one but decided to have a closer look at Golfs before committing. We looked at the Mk4 Golf and she put the foot down and said no based on aesthetics. I can't disagree as I've never particularly liked that model.

So yesterday we took a couple of Mk5 Golf's for a drive. First was a 2.0l FSi with 6spd tiptronic (not the DSG). It drove easily as well as anything else we have looked at. In fact, those extra 2 gears in the trans make a hell of a difference - it was really snappy in response to throttle inputs and would be something I could happily take on a long trip and have a bit of fun in. That particular car was not that flash spec wise, but wasn't bad either. 8 airbags, traction control, dual zone climate etc.

Then we drove a TDi with 6spd DSG trans & leather....

Bugger me with a fishfork! I had it chirping tyres in 2nd & 3rd gears with around 50% throttle on and not pushing too hard!! It was pretty quick to the point that I reckon it would give the 330 a serious run for its money at the lights. I would seriously have to consider one of these when I eventually replace the beamer. I've owned a number of Golfs before (including turbo diesels) and they have always gone really well. Wifey didn't like the diesel as it was noisy - nothing out of the ordinary, but noticeably more noise than the petrol immediately before it.

Both cars were outside the budget, but have demonstrated the breed and tick every other box. So, the guts is that she is going to hold out a little longer and pick up one up when they drop in price a little (the Mk6 has only just been released, so there is some fall to come in the next 6 months or so).

So, can anyone (Glenn) give me an idea of what a cambelt is worth to replace on a Mk5 Golf petrol engine? I know they are 5 year items and the cars we will be looking at will be on the verge of replacement - just helps with negotiations. ;)

Oh, and before I forget, I have on the whole been very impressed with the service received at the car dealers. Most have been very friendly and not at all pushy (with the exception of the guy at Giltrap Toyota). Especially good service at Giltrap VW, Continentals Peugeot yard, and Team Mini. Credit where credit is due....

Edited by elmarco