Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

New car required for the Mrs

Right - the Mrs has decided that her mid 90's Honda has to go. So, I need suggestions as to what she should look at.... Loaded question I know, but she really has little idea of what she wants.

The criteria are:

• ABS
  • Multiple airbags (the more the better)
  • Good safety ratings
  • Traction/stability control
  • Park sensors would be nice but not necessary
  • Economincal for commuting and OK on the open road
  • NZ New
  • Less than 80,000 kms
  • 4 or 5 doors
  • Automatic or tiptronic only (no manuals sadly)
  • Good sounds
  • Climate control
  • Friendly on servicing and reliability (I will not be spending weekends repairing it!)
  • Prefer a reasonable spec (no poverty packs!)
  • Smallish for easy parking in the city (as in - no Lincoln Continentals :P )
  • Stylish and something I won't feel like less of a man for having in my driveway
She initially wanted a Mini Cooper (R50), but they seem to be a bit thin on the ground in automatic and pretty pricey when you can find one (would like to spend $15k or less but would stretch to $20k for a Mini). Does anyone know what to look for in these, or what the common faults are/what to be wary of?

I won't let her have a Honda, Nissan, anything of Korean origin, ugly or just down right un-stylish. She doesn't want a 3 Series (says mine is too big and heavy :o ), and won't touch anything like a RAV4/Suzuki Vitara.

Other options that have crossed my are:

• A3 1.8T
  • Impreza
  • Golf
  • IS200 (bit expensive though for NZ new)
Apart from that can anyone suggest anything else I should be considering? Any pointers or things to watch for on any of these?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by elmarco

Minis are a TERRIBLE car in auto form. In full auto mode the gearbox is awful, constantly changing up and down at weird times. Steptronic is not much better, with really sluggish changes, not something that fits with the whole "go kart" image the new Mini has. They're also very small inside, vision around the car is poor and they're hard to get in and out of, especially in car parks (big heavy doors). The power steering is BMW heavy so if your girlfriend finds your 3 series heavy to drive a Mini may feel similar. Having said all this, I love the Mini Cooper or S in manual once you're on a fast windy road... but around town they're a PITA.

An A3 in 1.8 non turbo form may be the go (or Golf GL). The 20V turbos are known to be problematic. Have you thought about a Suzuki Swift? I know it's not a euro but they're fun to drive, and very cheap now too.

If a 3 series is to big thats a bugger I would suggest an E46 or late ninties SAAB 95, but what about a Ti maybe, Suzuki swift is another or Mazda 3 07ish.

Suzuki swift sports are great wee cars with plenty of punch, (for a 1.6)

They are priced at $26,000 but a second hand low KM will fetch for $21,000.

Or the normal LTD model and XE model go for around $17,000.

Very mechanically reliable also, we've had no worries with the swift at all.

Go for a Lexus IS or Altezza (6cyl) auto with Toyota No Worries warranty. Effectively no repair bills for 3 years.

Swift is good value as long as you don't need much luggage space (eg baby buggy), or an E46 Compact should easily be in that price range.

Latest Impreza would be good if it falls into budget. That's at least 4 or 5 cents worth.

BTW, I wouldn't touch a Saab, their mechanics in Newmarket warned me away from them.

Edited by Palazzo

Go for a Lexus IS or Altezza (6cyl) auto with Toyota No Worries warranty. Effectively no repair bills for 3 years.

Swift is good value as long as you don't need much luggage space (eg baby buggy), or an E46 Compact should easily be in that price range.

Latest Impreza would be good if it falls into budget. That's at least 4 or 5 cents worth.

BTW, I wouldn't touch a Saab, their mechanics in Newmarket warned me away from them.

Ever been in a Swift? Four 6 foot adults fit in with leg room, don't ask me how but the size is definitely decieving.

Reading the the first post again, the sports only come manual. The LTD comes as auto and manual.

Late Model Mitsi Lancer? I had a 1999 Model, never had an issue with it.. though, you'd want to go newer. also a VR-X

The Altezza/IS200 would be nice, I've found the 4cyl ones are more of a "thrasher" car though.

Swifts are also nice, a friend has one.

I did 50k in a 98 9-5 SAAB 2.3 LPT, never missed a beat, since 1993 SAAB's have been GM Europe basically they are opel vectra's, so not overly complicated really. We have them here as Holden Astra 2.3l so each to their own I would own a SAAB in a heart beat especially miss those heated seats and 4cyl turbo drive.

The power steering is BMW heavy so if your girlfriend finds your 3 series heavy to drive a Mini may feel similar.

Haha - not for the girlfriend. This one is for the wife! :lol:

Seriously - keep the suggestions coming. I also considered the Swift (we have a couple at work and while I haven't driven one, they look pretty funky to me). However, once she saw one on TM she wanted to rule it out on aesthetics alone (before you ask, I don't know why she doesn't like the shape!).

That's not good news on the Mini automatic front though... I really don't understand why she doesn't want to drive a manual - the choice in Mini's is so much larger. Ti/Compact is no good - I'd put her into a 320i or IS200 if she were even leaning in that direction.

Any comments on a Peugeot 307? Or Beetle 1.8? Focus?

Looking at some of the cars on TM leaves the pickings fairly thin - the interior designers need their head read in some cases - an assault on my eyes (Holden Astra if I remember correctly)! Mazda 3 wasn't one I had seriously considered and maybe worthy of a closer look.

Next weekend will be look around in person and test drive time (which should no doubt prove to be an exercise in frustration for me :lol: ) so maybe I'll try to slip a Swift into the mix then.

Oh and it MUST be NZ New (which rules out the Altezza's etc). I won't touch an import on principle....

Can a Ford Focus be considered NZ new ?

Best car in its class for god knows how long, plenty of space inside and a cracking drive in manual 2l form. Autos arent that bad though and if you ask me that latest hatches look hot.

Astra 2.2 engine I meant not 2.3 but the little puggy 307 is a grouse little car, norrow it down to say 3 models and go for test drives on sat or something see what she likes.

I would check out the latest Barina as well.

We've got an 09 Barina. Goes ok. The room inside is very deceiving. Can't say i've driven an auto, but manual is ok.

Can a Ford Focus be considered NZ new ?

Best car in its class for god knows how long, plenty of space inside and a cracking drive in manual 2l form. Autos arent that bad though and if you ask me that latest hatches look hot.

Guess so - they were/are sold here as new cars aren't they??

Latest Barina is a Daewoo rebadged isn't it? Cheap junk and refer to my comment about being less of a man having it parked in my drive :P ...

Guess so - they were/are sold here as new cars aren't they??

Well if thats the case I wouldnt buy anything else. We love ours and the wife prefers it to the touring !

Its a couple of years old now and I wonder why she likes it so much, but a quick drive around town answers all the questions. Ours is a wagon and it gets the two of us (Im 6'5 and she is 6'), three kids in seats in the back and all the associated clobber in the boot no trouble at all.

A friend of mine has just bought one aswell and she loves it.....perhaps its a girl thing !

VW Golf GTI if she's a little racer!

Pity she thinks bmw's are too heavy. Haha I wouldn't suggest a 5 series!

I think the e46's are pretty nice cars for women, coupes look classy, but yeah as you said she wants a 4 door.

Good luck with the car shopping, you can only spend it once! ^_^

Hi Mate

I have a E46 black BMW 318I with 40000ks on it but its a japan import.The import cars pretty good also.Depends what have you bought and the condition.My BMw has TV, triptonic, cruise control ,and much more.Car is in mint conditon,Price is nego.

Cheers

Black Bmw

Any comments on a Peugeot 307?

Ha funny you should mention 307, we are also a Peugeot dealership, the earlier ones were very good, mechanically another great car as long as they are serviced regularly :)

Lots and lots of NZ new 307s around so no probs there, the manuals of course were a better drive but the autos are not bad, a few of them needed modified solanoid valves in the trans, you could always find out if they are fitted or not.

Edit: Slpelling. :P

Edited by Greg.

Any comments on a Peugeot 307? Or Beetle 1.8? Focus?

The GF ended up getting a 04 307 XSP (man) last year after looking around for a new car to replace her 96 Misty Cyborg RS. She had her heart set on an Alfa 147/156 but once we got in them it was way too small and cramped feeling. Took it for a drive and 200m down the road decided to buy it on the spot after 2 weekends of looking and test driving other things. The only thing i would HIGHLY recommend if you get a 307 is to talk to Keith straight away and get the 307 H&R lowering springs for it. It does lower the car that much but it's a night and day differance in handling... No wallow just nice firm (not harsh) handling... Also it completely changes the stance of the car - looks much better... If you can streach for it get the HDI - but avoid the auto's lots of problems for the guys i know at CCS and a few other workshops, mainly the jap imports. Can supply photos of stunning looking 307 if you like...

The 207's are getting to be cheapish... and a phenominal car: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-209501697.htm i know the guy selling this one...

The A3 didn't have much for the prices they want for them and are essentially a pricey golf, and again small inside. The only nice A3 is actually a S3... wouldn't touch the rest.

The golfs are ok, lack personality i feel... Also they are rather slow...

If your looking at the Audi/VW range - i'd look at the Skoda's much higher spec for the same money, and if you can find a Octavia VRS diesel they are fantastic...

Beetles = VERY dated, and essentiall a golf...

Focus = good car, lots of ex-lease/rep cars out there...

Edited by DRTDVL

Brand new 207xs (poverty pack model) are very cheap brand new now, $23,000 inc orc.

VW Golf GTI if she's a little racer!

Pity she thinks bmw's are too heavy. Haha I wouldn't suggest a 5 series!

I think the e46's are pretty nice cars for women, coupes look classy, but yeah as you said she wants a 4 door.

Good luck with the car shopping, you can only spend it once! ^_^

We already have one E46 coupe in the family, so there is still that option when she wants style... ;)

Brand new 207xs (poverty pack model) are very cheap brand new now, $23,000 inc orc.

Hmmm - that gives me another idea Greg. Tell me what you know about 206's....

206 autos = bad

206 man = very good

The 206 is a fantastic little car, I was looking at getting a gti 180 before I got the 205... A lot of people actually prefer the gti over the gti 180 as it devlops it's power lower in the rev range this makng it better around town. As with all cars they have their common faults. Biggest things with pugs is they need to be regularly maintained or they hate you and breakdown. Much like any car. Parts aren't hard to get as some will lead you to believe. If you want space and some peep look for a 206 gti sw. They also have a glass roof which doubles the feel of the interior space. Becareful as map import sw's are typically 1600's. S16's = jap imported gti's and RC's = imported gti 180's