Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

New car required for the Mrs

Hmmm - seems to be a general consensus that autos = bad. Unfortunate as the Mrs doesn't drive stick - so it will be a compromise one way or the other. If it is a performance issue, we can probably live with it (based on a test drive obviously). But if it is a reliability problem, then that really is a problem - I don't want a liability on my hands.

Hmmm - that gives me another idea Greg. Tell me what you know about 206's....

206 is not a bad car either, autos have the same issue as any other car, the GTI 180 being the very best one but only avaliable in manual, any GTI for that matter.

The 307 would be the best bet for the Peugeots or the 207xs if you want to spend a bit more than your budget and you would also have the 3 year warrenty to go with it.

Hmmm - seems to be a general consensus that autos = bad. Unfortunate as the Mrs doesn't drive stick - so it will be a compromise one way or the other. If it is a performance issue, we can probably live with it (based on a test drive obviously). But if it is a reliability problem, then that really is a problem - I don't want a liability on my hands.

206 is not a bad car either, autos have the same issue as any other car, the GTI 180 being the very best one but only avaliable in manual, any GTI for that matter.

The 307 would be the best bet for the Peugeots or the 207xs if you want to spend a bit more than your budget and you would also have the 3 year warrenty to go with it.

It seams that most euro small car auto's from the era of 98 - 05/06 seam to have problems from what i've heard from a few dealers and mechanics... If they are mantained well they are ok, but if they are not looked after then they have problems. 

The 307 diesel auto's are good, i know a bunch of people in aussie with those without a problem. If the new 207 uses the same gearbox as the 308 then it's a porsche developed system and it was FANTASTIC is the 308 diesel. In saying that we know 2 family friends with 307 auto's and they are fine... both NZ new and full service historys... 

Avoid any Alfa selespeed import, they didn't get the gearbox update that the NZ new models did. I have a friend that works for Alfa and those are his words... 

late model suzuki swift the higher spec model has multiple air bags.amazing ride for a wee car.try oneAuto will be ok as long as you dont have to negotiate hills

Had another thought for a small reliable one, SX4 2wd auto, another great product from Suzuki.

Cheap too. Starting from $19,000 new.

Latest Ford KA or Mazda 2 would be my pick.

I agree with the Focus comments too. Late model ones (esp. ex rental or ex lease) are popping up cheaply. If you get one in a nice colour and put some tastelful alloys on it, you've got something that not only drives well, but looks very sharp too.

If you want a Euro, I would also look at the Merc A-Class. You might be able to find a new shape one in your budget. They are very well made, safe and easy to drive.

Don't waste your time with a MK4 Golf - they are now getting more common than Corolla's and are just as bland. From experience I wouldn't touch a French auto either.

As long as it's serviced the trans are usually pretty good.

Thanks for the feedback team. A lot of good ideas in there.

Will try to line up a test of a couple of these this weekend - should be interesting to see what she likes, and how they compare.

1. Mini Cooper

2. Peugeot 206

3. A3

4. A beetle if I can find one

5. Peugeot 307

6. Focus

7. Swift

edit: pushed the damn button before I was finished - dumbass!

Edited by elmarco

Mini’s are sh*t on so many levels, the Swift ticks bugger all of your requested boxes and are overpriced the Beatle is a Mk4 Golf in drag and are as cool as pop music from 2001, the Audi again is nothing more than an old over priced MK4 Golf and the Peugeots have bad auto’s.

I would be looking at as newer shape Focus as you can find, preferably the Mk2 Focus.

Also take a Mk5 Astra for a drive, they are a great car and a lot safer than most having a current 5 star safety rating, none of the cars on your list have that rating. We had a SRI-T new and it was a fantastic cat. You could most likely pick up a 06 in your budget.

Swifts overpriced, what? It's the second cheapest new car avaliable on the NZ market.

The 307 T6 has a 5 star NCAP safety rating with a modified AL4 transmission which is a hell of a lot better than some of the autos i've driven.

Thanks for the feedback team. A lot of good ideas in there.

Will try to line up a test of a couple of these this weekend - should be interesting to see what she likes, and how they compare.

1. Mini Cooper

2. Peugeot 206

3. A3

4. A beetle if I can find one

5. Peugeot 307

6. Focus

7. Swift

edit: pushed the damn button before I was finished - dumbass!

Greg which Pug dealer you work for?

There is a 207 at CCS thats not that much more once you talk them down... 

If you go to Pug CCS ask to talk to Jeff Clynes he's a good guy (founding member of FastFrogs)

Some alternatives for ya:

2006 Megane

2004 307 (full leather)

Really don't rate the bettle or the mini after being a passenger and a driver of both cars... 

Edited by DRTDVL

Greg which Pug dealer you work for?

There is a 207 at CCS thats not that much more once you talk them down... 

If you go to Pug CCS ask to talk to Jeff Clynes he's a good guy (founding member of FastFrogs)

Some alternatives for ya:

2006 Megane

2004 307 (full leather)

Really don't rate the bettle or the mini after being a passenger and a driver of both cars... 

Hawkesbay Peugeot & Suzuki.

We have them going for $23,000. (for the XS model).

Mini’s are sh*t on so many levels, the Swift ticks bugger all of your requested boxes and are overpriced the Beatle is a Mk4 Golf in drag and are as cool as pop music from 2001, the Audi again is nothing more than an old over priced MK4 Golf and the Peugeots have bad auto’s.

I would be looking at as newer shape Focus as you can find, preferably the Mk2 Focus.

Also take a Mk5 Astra for a drive, they are a great car and a lot safer than most having a current 5 star safety rating, none of the cars on your list have that rating. We had a SRI-T new and it was a fantastic cat. You could most likely pick up a 06 in your budget.

Sorry Graham - I would rather slam my cock in a fridge door than have to look at the dash/interior of an Astra.... I am liking the Focus idea though. The proof will be in the pudding when we have an actual look at some of these (hopefully this weekend).

the Swift ticks bugger all of your requested boxes and are overpriced

up to 12 from 16 aint bad....overpriced ?

Fair enough, they are far from exciting… are we secretly looking for something you like? It’s a hard compromise.

Swifts overpriced, what? It's the second cheapest new car avaliable on the NZ market.

The 307 T6 has a 5 star NCAP safety rating with a modified AL4 transmission which is a hell of a lot better than some of the autos i've driven.

We did a lot of research back in 06 before we brought the Astra and the 307 had a four star. Check EURONCAP.

IMO the Suzuki’s are overpriced. They are getting on a bit and have a pathetic spec, especially the under 20k models.

up to 12 from 16 aint bad....overpriced ?

I only got 8 from 16 :P

Fair enough, they are far from exciting… are we secretly looking for something you like? It’s a hard compromise.

Haha - she may have my cojones locked up the handbag, but I still have a vote! :lol: You know chicks - "a car is a car - I just want one to match my handbag" where we all know not all cars are created equal.

It isn't about being a car that I want (or else there would be no debate and I wouldn't be putting it out to the masses for suggestions) - but as it will live in my driveway and I will have to drive it sometimes, I have to at least not be offended by it (I see bad things happening if a Daewoo or Kia was ever to grace my concrete).

I'm an equal opportunity hater of Korean cars (although I will admit to being more impressed by Hyundai lately), Hondas, Nissans and used japanese imports.... :P

I'm an equal opportunity hater of Korean cars (although I will admit to being more impressed by Hyundai lately), Hondas, Nissans and used japanese imports.... :P

Hyundia has been winning customer service and been topping the reliabilty awards in the states over the last few years...

My wife went from a Mercedes to a Swift LTD because she wanted something smaller....she absolutely loves it. Its Auto, six airbags, mags, foglights and controls on the steering for Audio.

Six of my customers have brought these on my recommendation and they all love them.

I just wish the SX4 was out when we brought ours in 2005... dont tell her that though...she might want to upgrade

Out of all the cars you have listed... I would still choose the Suzuki for built quality, reliability and price

I agree they are a fantastic car, one that actually put Suzuki back on the map and gave competitors a good rev up in the style and dynamic departments. A good low KMS limited model with the bells and whistles that glen mentioned would be a good chick’s car.

Here is a Auto Sport, it’s an Import but with Suzuki there is no real difference, most Suzuki dealers sell second had swift imports due to supply and demand.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-221209944.htm

Still expensive if you start comparing what else your money could buy.

I agree they are a fantastic car, one that actually put Suzuki back on the map and gave competitors a good rev up in the style and dynamic departments. A good low KMS limited model with the bells and whistles that glen mentioned would be a good chick’s car.

Here is a Auto Sport, it’s an Import but with Suzuki there is no real difference, most Suzuki dealers sell second had swift imports due to supply and demand.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-221209944.htm

Still expensive if you start comparing what else your money could buy.

Wouldn't touch a swift sport auto with a large stick, they all have the CVT trans which we all know are arse, Suzuki NZ don't want to know about them.

Wouldn't touch a swift sport auto with a large stick, they all have the CVT trans which we all know are arse, Suzuki NZ don't want to know about them.

Mom's gone through 2 cvt boxes in her a4's 

1st after 12,000km in a 04 model

2nd after 7,000km in a 06 model

I only got 8 from 16 :P

we bought a new one last year...not the basic one so they have multiple air bags etc.....I HONESTLY WOULD GET ONE FOR A LITTLE ROUND TOWN CAR.They are the best little japper!

would like to spend $15k or less...

+1 X 100