Sign in to follow this  
elmarco

New car required for the Mrs

Guest Simon*

Sorry Graham - I would rather slam my cock in a fridge door than have to look at the dash/interior of an Astra....

Sorry not much to add just really liked this quote :)

What does that Hyundai i30 go for? I quite like the styling and their spec is always high for the price

What does that Hyundai i30 go for? I quite like the styling and their spec is always high for the price

Wheres a fridge?? :P

I have an old vertical freezer that doesn't work if thats any use.

Hyundia has been winning customer service and been topping the reliabilty awards in the states over the last few years...

Yeah I know. And they are getting their styling pretty close now too. Not sure I want to own one yet, but they are gaining more respect.

Feel free to use and abuse....

I agree they are a fantastic car, one that actually put Suzuki back on the map and gave competitors a good rev up in the style and dynamic departments. A good low KMS limited model with the bells and whistles that glen mentioned would be a good chick’s car.

Here is a Auto Sport, it’s an Import but with Suzuki there is no real difference, most Suzuki dealers sell second had swift imports due to supply and demand.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-221209944.htm

Still expensive if you start comparing what else your money could buy.

Jayeezus there isn't much legroom in the back of that!

-1 on the swift ..

The brother has a swift sport and has had it for nearly three years. Its had nothing but problems with the suspension and bushings. When you look at the components they are a bit too cheap and nasty to last a decent amount of time. The ride is a little bit too un-comfortible for open road driving too.

When looking at moving from the E36 328 I briefly flirted with the Swift sport and the newer Subbie Imprezza GT (an Import with 2l turbo....Geeze did it go) finally came down the E46 330i Motorsport vs Mk 5 Golf GTI.

I liked my test drives in the Swift Sport (bugger it is only manual 4 U) and if had been looking for a town car would have been seriously tempted.

Remember to use the Turners website to look for vehicles - 4 of my last 5 cars have come via Turners, their advanced search lets you select NZ New and most of the fruit. Now guys don't flane me but the merc meets most requirements (little too much $$ and a few doors shy) http://www.turners.co.nz/Vehicles/Pages/Ve...amp;scrpage=sea .Hmmm the NZ New selection does not seem to work too well and when selecting over 2002 get lots of ex lease Mondeo, Camry, Elantra and Astra's - first 2 too big, Hyundai bit ugly and not hatch....Astra too much maintenance.

Admittedly 6 of the last 7 cars I have purchased have also been imports...never had an issue. I am old enough to remember the gouging dealers used to charge pre 1987 and realise that I would not be buying nice BM's. Also for some vehicles the spec is better eg still looking for a new MX5 and the Bilstien RS models are common...bonus is the Jap MX5's have an additional 8 kw standard (Helps when NZ new is 118kw)

-1 on the swift ..

The brother has a swift sport and has had it for nearly three years. Its had nothing but problems with the suspension and bushings. When you look at the components they are a bit too cheap and nasty to last a decent amount of time. The ride is a little bit too un-comfortible for open road driving too.

It is true that the swift sport is a hard ride and their swaybar bushes needed replacement from the original ones, (the older versions), but your brother got a bad deal with his, we as a dealer in Hastings have sold over 500 swifts (no not a typo), and have had litterly no complaints with any of them. Everyone i've talked to down here have absolutly loved them to bits, that's why i recomended it to start with.

Update:

We test drove a Mini Cooper, Swift, Peugeot 307 and 206 this arvo. Have to get to the Golf, Focus and Mazda 3 tomorrow (tried for a Golf, but CCS have a grand total of 9 used VW's at the moment where they normally have 60 - so nothing similar to what we wanted). Think I have gone off the A3 idea for the moment.

Mini: Very nice vehicle, with the build quality you expect from BMW. Bit pricey at Team McMillan and they didn't actually have anything that specifically met our requirements, but I can't fault the sales person (Kate if I remember correctly). Very pleasant to deal with - will be keeping an eye on what they get through in the next few weeks.

Suzuki Swift: Had less get up and go than the current 1500cc mid 90's Civic automatic that will be replaced :( (very disappointed with this - I expected some zip from such a small light car)! Surprisingly, they seem to hold their value well - to the point I would have to consider buying a new one over a 3 year old one. They do appear to be a bit rattly (resonance rattles from big flat panels) - but I guess this is to be expected from a budget car. Overall, bit disappointed, and the Mrs said no based on the amount of grunt (or lack thereof) - that's my girl! ;)

Peugeot: Drove a 206 Sport (1600cc), and while it ticked most boxes and I actually think it looks pretty good (nice spoiler kit, climate air, good size - not too big or small, handled reasonably well), it was noisy. Plenty of zip in traffic, but at one point I thought it was a diesel! Not sure if this is normal or not - it was certinly the noisiest car we drove. The 307 (2000cc) was quite nice and very quiet. Bigger car, and noticably smoother than the 206, but still not close to the build quality of the mini (lots of hard plastic and looks noticably cheaper). She has neither ruled either of these out, or raved over them, so the jury is still out. I would have been sold right then and there if the 206 was as quiet as the 307 (or had been the diesel with the same noise level)...

Must say that it was a reasonably pleasant experience. I hate going to car dealers - but big ups to the guys and girls at CCS (VW and Peugeot - Audi was a fail), Team McMillan and Winger Suzuki. They didn't make me want to strangle anyone, and didn't get at all pushy like some of their kind can.

Driving these other cars makes me appreciate my coupe all the more....

The 206 1300cc and 1600cc can be quite loud engine wise then you get the 2000cc version which is the same motor as the 307 you drove and they are a lot quieter but dearer.

Shame about the swift, the manual ones have a bit more poke as you could understand.

Are you going to try out a 207xs? Good build quality, same motor as the new mini cooper, quiet and cheap for what they are.

Going back on this thread i'm starting to sound like a salesmen :wacko:

Get an e30. (Can't believe no one has said that yet)

Get an e30. (Can't believe no one has said that yet)

Was never going to make the cut.... :o

The criteria are:

• ABS
  • Multiple airbags (the more the better)
  • Good safety ratings
  • Traction/stability control
  • Park sensors would be nice but not necessary
  • Economincal for commuting and OK on the open road
  • NZ New
  • Less than 80,000 kms
  • 4 or 5 doors
  • Automatic or tiptronic only (no manuals sadly)
  • Good sounds
  • Climate control
  • Friendly on servicing and reliability (I will not be spending weekends repairing it!)
  • Prefer a reasonable spec (no poverty packs!)
  • Smallish for easy parking in the city (as in - no Lincoln Continentals :P )
  • Stylish and something I won't feel like less of a man for having in my driveway

The 206 1300cc and 1600cc can be quite loud engine wise then you get the 2000cc version which is the same motor as the 307 you drove and they are a lot quieter but dearer.

Shame about the swift, the manual ones have a bit more poke as you could understand.

Are you going to try out a 207xs? Good build quality, same motor as the new mini cooper, quiet and cheap for what they are.

Going back on this thread i'm starting to sound like a salesmen :wacko:

Yeah - I asked the guys at CCS and they didn't seem to be alarmed at the engine noise in the 206, so I have put it down to engine design and insufficient of sound damping in the engine bay. It wasn't a full inspection as we only wanted to get a feel for what she wants - not inspect individual vehicles so I didn't even lift the bonnet to listen properly. It's a pity because other than that, I thought it was a nice little car (sporty, but not ridiculous).

We didn't even look at the 207 as it is well outside the budget ($15k or up to $20k for a mini)...

Update 2:

So we had a look at another couple of cars today...

Focus: Nice looking car and the interior isn't too offensive either. Hated the steering wheel, and overall nothing to really make it stand out from the crowd or make you grin. Went OK, was quiet enough, but it really did feel like driving a rental car. Nothing special about the spec that we looked at (poverty pack as that's all they had - steel wheels and all) and I would want something a little better. One thing I did wonder about was the passenger airbag - it looks like you need to replace the entire dash skin after an airbag deployment...

Mazda 3: Probably didn't like the interior as much as the Focus, although the steering wheel was 100x better. Again, it was a poverty pack model and while it didn't do anything badly (apart from refuse to start first time :huh: ) it didn't really stand out either. Only had 2 airbags vs the 4 in the focus. I was kind of expecting more from Mazda - they have a reputation for being a bit better spec and sportier than their Ford cousins.

Also after having a look at a privately advertised Mini, we happened to stop in at Jerry Clayton. They aren't a mini dealer, but happened to have a nice red one out the back. 2002 done 27,000 kms, a nice spec (has the chili pack) and was in spotless condition. Sadly they wanted about $26k for it - outside our budget.... Very nice car though.

So, after a weekend of looking at cars, she has narrowed it down to a Mini with the 307 being a second choice. Now just to find one in the right colour, spec, condition, price, and location.... The fun continues - if only she would drive a manual it would make my life so much easier.

Sounds like you have settled on a Mini, but if you are looking at buying a new Swift, you MUST look at the new Ford KA and Mazda 2. Both are fantastic cars and move the game on considerable from the Swift.

Sounds like you have settled on a Mini, but if you are looking at buying a new Swift, you MUST look at the new Ford KA and Mazda 2. Both are fantastic cars and move the game on considerable from the Swift.

That they do, hence my Swift overpriced comment, the game has moved on quite a bit.

Oh and it’s not a Ford Ka it’s a Ford Fiesta. We dont get thee Ka

The Swift was ruled out on lack of power (I was so proud I nearly cried!).

I had a quick look at the new Fiesta yesterday and it looks pretty funky. Sadly, it is only a couple of months old in the market and still well over $20k. The old one is just a smaller version of the Focus (which didn't really inspire either of us).

I still reckon the 206 would be the money if you could live with the engine noise - looks good, good specs, zippy, and in the budget. Not my decision in the end though....

Hey mate, if you can find a 2000cc 206 cheap enough then that would be the one to go for, very quiet motor plus quick! Does it have to manual? Like really really have to be?

No - has to be auto/tiptronic. She don't drive stick....

If you decide to go 307, check that when you move the gear lever into drive that the trans makes a buzzing noise, that means it's got the modified trans solanoid valves which you'll want.

Was the 207 ruled out?

207 ruled out on $$$... Any 307 will be NZ new (with a full pre-purchase inspection by a Peugeot dealer) so I will make sure that it has had all the recalls done (including the trans solenoid).

Fair enough, trans solanoid (just realised i was spelling it wrong) was not a recall, was fitted because of the lighting of the sport and snow light and very harsh changing.

Easy to check this out though.