Sign in to follow this  
Apex

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

No fog today either but sooo tuff

Nice. But this is tuffer

post-2890-1244587008_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pjay

Lol... I get that for spending hours on the road and copping it all the time

I can't honestly say I have ever seen any place check fogs for alignment and previous employment, I spent about 10 hours a week at VTNZ (*&*#^%%)

Jerry Clayton aligned mine for a WOF. ;)

Whoops... I just realised my rear fogs have been on the whole time I have owned my car, 2 years!

Sorry guys :rolleyes:

Edited by Quailboy

No fog today either but sooo tuffpost-662-1244586675_thumb.jpg

Going by a lot of the cars arounf here, I thought you'd prefer this

post-2173-1244588291_thumb.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait, what?

Not really a HID problem, but the retard driving. But ive noticed that if someone is high beaming you with HID's (coming towards you), you are completely blinded.

God this thread is awesome.

I LOVE THE PASSION ABOUT HEADLIGHTS!

+1 LOL

rear fogs are at least as bright as brake lights.....

A few truths about fog lamps....

The LTSA says it is illegal to use fog lamps (front or rear) in anything except adverse weather conditions (fog, heavy rain, snow etc). They do make a big difference in bad weather but are nothing but an assault to the eyes in other conditions (no surprises there).

If you want to run lamps during the day, get approved daytime running lamps. Don't use your front fogs. Fog lamps cannot be used without the position lamps (and preferably headlamps) operating - however, they must be wired separately so as they can be turned on and off indepently of the headlamps themselves.

As for rear fogs, technically they require a minimum intensity of 150 candela with a maximum of 300cd. As a comparison, stop lamps are min 60cd, max 185cd. And plain old tail lamps are min 4cd, max 12cd. So yes, they are damn bright (the minimum is close to the maximum allowed for a stop lamp) and intended to make you visible in bad weather conditions which we don't normally see in NZ - plain common sense really. I say normally, as the conditions actually requiring fog lamps are pretty rare in NZ although not unheard of. I have seen conditions in Europe where the only thing I could see was a rear fog lamp (and that was pretty dull) - the tail lamps were non existant.

The sticking point is the common sense bit - sadly in this country we have too few people with this trait. And sadly, it is left to the Police to well Police it where common sense says don't do it. Some people either don't take responsibility for their actions, or just plain don't give a sh*t about other road users.

my 2c

Not really a HID problem, but the retard driving. But ive noticed that if someone is high beaming you with HID's (coming towards you), you are completely blinded.

....Uh, most cars only have HID low beams. Highs are mostly just normal ones? Well, for cars I've had experience with anyway because HID's aren't very good with distance, just good with volume - shorter wavelength and more of it IIRC.

....Uh, most cars only have HID low beams. Highs are mostly just normal ones? Well, for cars I've had experience with anyway because HID's aren't very good with distance, just good with volume - shorter wavelength and more of it IIRC.

Its more around the startup of the HID burners. They don't get to full brightness for 20 seconds or so, and can suck quite a bit of juice at startup. Work well for low beam as it is not flicked on and off, but don't work for high beam. When you want high beam, you don't want to wait 20 seconds....

Newer cars use a bi-xenon system where it is one burner with an electrically operated shade for low beam (low beam is the default by gravity, power on the actuator lifts it to give high beam). The next generation is AFS (advanced front lighting system) that varies the light pattern and direction based on GPS input, speed, steering input and oncoming traffic etc. That sh*t is super cool.

+1. Never seen a car with dual factory HIDs (high and low). A car with HID highs has bi-xenon (same bulb/ballast/projector but uses a solenoid to control the shield). A car with single xenon would have halogens as its high beam. The reason HIDs aren't used as a separate high on a single xenon setup is because they need to be warmed up - it takes a high amount of voltage to ignite the arc in the bulb and you can see when you first turn on HIDs they change colour. Long story short they won't last long if used like a normal high (lots of on/off cycles when flashing to pass etc). If you were to leave them on for extended periods of time, they'll be perfectly fine and they're great for distance.

There is nothing wrong with proper HIDs, they make the road safer. In fact it would be a great thing if every single car on the road had factory HIDs. The problem is people chucking HIDs into lights that weren't made for them in the first place. The beam pattern is off, you get hot spots, and if you argue that you can aim them lower, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the extra lumens in the first place - to see further?

Summary: More output is better - it just needs to be aimed right.

I stand corrected! I know my old car had factory hid's. They were absolutely fantastic at night. Could pick out road surfaces very well.

just thought i would pitch in my 2c here. dont quote me on this but from my understandings, according to WOF regulations fog lights are now considered driving lights or accesory lights, and therefore are perfectly leagel to use when its not foggy.

Whoops... I just realised my rear fogs have been on the whole time I have owned my car, 2 years!

Sorry guys :rolleyes:

What the! How can you not notice??

just thought i would pitch in my 2c here. dont quote me on this but from my understandings, according to WOF regulations fog lights are now considered driving lights or accesory lights, and therefore are perfectly leagel to use when its not foggy.

Some cars have driving lights, lots of Japanese and Australian cars have them, they are a different beam.

Guest Simon*

Used mine this morning :) (well the courtesy Beemer's anyway)

But it was effing foggy! Vis was about 50 metres

Ya was bloody foggy this morning. Turned mine off wouldn't want people to think I drive with them on all the time

:lol: you’re a knob.

Was rather foggy last night too, lucky I had my retrofit HID’s on, I got the Ultra Purple P234912K’s and they lit the fog up like this Pink Floyd concert I went to once, the homeless people outside countdown were well impressed and asked me for some change assuming I was driving a late model expensive car. Had my rear fogs on too just in case some mistook my car for a trolley return bay :blink:

No they are two separate things.

If you read the "get you lights right" leaflet I mentioned before you would know this.

:lol: you’re a knob.

Was rather foggy last night too, lucky I had my retrofit HID’s on, I got the Ultra Purple P234912K’s and they lit the fog up like this Pink Floyd concert I went to once, the homeless people outside countdown were well impressed and asked me for some change assuming I was driving a late model expensive car. Had my rear fogs on too just in case some mistook my car for a trolley return bay :blink:

Would be keen to see this pink floyd concert, LOL!

I could see rear fogs being pretty interesting in a darkened parking lot like the one we have at smales farm, someone starts reversing out of their park and you give them a blinding flash of red, pretty sure you could start up some kind of parking lot road rage destruction derby if you kept doing it every time they inch out of their parking space.

YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE FOG LIGHTS SO WE MOUNTED SOME FOG LIGHTS ON YO FOG LIGHTS SO WHEN YOU USE YOUR FOG LIGHTS YOU GET TWO SETS OF FOG LIGHTS. :D

I know that the law states that you shouldn't have them on, but I leave my foglights on regardless of weather conditions. I turn my lights on if the sun is burning a hole through my car. It's all about visibility. Not about whether I can see where I'm going but if the other bugger on the road can see me. In my opinion the fog lights are unobtrusive and not a problem. What I can't stand are the idiots (like the guy I saw this morning) driving with his fog lights on and his park(position) lights on but not his normal lights. I think those people are worthy of being shot.

I can't see any problems with front fog lights on either....illegal HID and drive at night with head lights OFF are a lot worse.....

To be honest I don't know why it causes a trouble for you cause although they are pretty bright but their positions are generally quite low......When I drive I generally don't focus on anything below their headlights.

hey so ummm....rear fog light button.....is that that button next to the steering wheel ? that i have been turning on and off trying to figure out what it did since it didnt change anything on the front head lights yet there was a little light symbol thing on my speedo that pops up when pushed in ? uh ohs LOL