Sign in to follow this  
ewie

E46 - Nokia Handsfree Car Kit

Hey all, was wondering if anyone would have a wiring diagram for an E46? I want to install my Nokia handsfree carkit in my compact so that it mutes the stereo and works through the car speakers rather than installing a seperate speaker etc.. also need to ID the ignition and battery wires... I have all the install instructions for the kit, just need the car-related info.

Any tips??

Cheers

Does it not come with the wiring harness? The ones I have seen plug inbetween the stereo and the vehicle wiring harness.

Maybe PM Hotwire?

try these wiring diagrams...

there is an adapter available "at a cost"... hit the google

post-2427-1245133328_thumb.jpg

post-2427-1245133351_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dogballs

What radio? Reverse/Business/Professional/Naviagtion

What car? Coupe/Cabrio/Touring/Limo

What genenration? Old pre Sept 2001/New post Sept 2001

I have wiring for everything, but you need to narrow down the options a bit

OK, assume 318ti with Business radio, pre Sept 2001:

Pin 4 on the radio main connector = TelMute (black wire). Connect to ground to mute the radio.

The telephone provisions on the E46 provide for a separate telephone speaker on the drivers side footwell, in the cover under the dash, above the feet.

There is no telephone audio input to the radio system

You can choose to either have a separate speaker or tap into the radio system to access, say, the front driver's side speakers. Some systems eg FastMute provide for this.

Edited by jochen

What radio? Reverse/Business/Professional/Naviagtion

What car? Coupe/Cabrio/Touring/Limo

What genenration? Old pre Sept 2001/New post Sept 2001

I have wiring for everything, but you need to narrow down the options a bit

OK, assume 318ti with Business radio, pre Sept 2001:

Pin 4 on the radio main connector = TelMute (black wire). Connect to ground to mute the radio.

The telephone provisions on the E46 provide for a separate telephone speaker on the drivers side footwell, in the cover under the dash, above the feet.

There is no telephone audio input to the radio system

You can choose to either have a separate speaker or tap into the radio system to access, say, the front driver's side speakers. Some systems eg FastMute provide for this.

Hi Jochen.. you were close it's a 318ti with business radio/MD head unit August 2002 (update version) with the large 17(?) pin connector on the back. I had the radio out a while ago but didn't count the pins.

Edited by **Ewie**

Hi Jochen.. you were close it's a 318ti with business radio/MD head unit August 2002 (update version) with the large 17(?) pin connector on the back. I had the radio out a while ago but didn't count the pins.

OK, so you have the new-gen car.

Firstly, as your car is ex-Japan, I hope you have re-programmed the radio to NZ mode and thrown away any band expander that was fitted!

Back to the phone:

The E46 wiring does not distinguis too much betweem OG and NG

So I'll refer to E39, which uses essentially the same radio

TelMute is now pin 10 of the NG radio main connector (white/brown wire)

Tel Audio on an E39 NG radio is as follows:

Signal = pin 6

Ground = pin 12

on the 12-pin black sub-connector that also contains the CD-changer wiring.

The sub-connector is mounted on the main radio connector.

If your car has no phone pre-wiring, then get some pins from BMW, solder them to your aufio/mute lead and insert into the connector

NOTE: this input may not be active on the E46, the wiring info shows nothing - try and see :-)

The description of the TelMute function:

Telephone mute (switching radio mute during telephone conversation)

The "telephone mute" function mutes the radio together with its function (tuner, CD, CD-changer, cassette playback). The corresponding drive is additionally stopped in CD mode, CD changer mode or cassette mode.

The mute is not cancelled if a traffic information announcement is received while the radio is switched mute.