Sign in to follow this  
OSiRiS

Jetskis

Yeah and it likes to break me..

Sea-doo SPX - 800cc, high compression heads, tuned exhaust.

127km/h on the gps. but not sure how accurate it is.. notice on your clip it says certified gps??

your ski looks a lot bigger unit than my mine.

I was mucking round on a glassy day and seeing how fast I could throw it through a 360... just over half throttle and ended up barrel rolling with the ski breaking a couple of my ribs as it rolled over me.. lesson learned... lucky escape... helmets are not a dumb idea...

Now days it is mainly setup for fishing as I don't fancy going in the water at this time of the year..

Planning on doing a weekend camping trip over to coromandel from Half moon bay next summer with a group of mates. take it easy to get across to coromandel and fill up in coromandel township.. then head up the peninsula to find somewhere to setup base. If your keen on the idea keep in touch..

Yeah and it likes to break me..

Sea-doo SPX - 800cc, high compression heads, tuned exhaust.

127km/h on the gps. but not sure how accurate it is.. notice on your clip it says certified gps??

your ski looks a lot bigger unit than my mine.

I was mucking round on a glassy day and seeing how fast I could throw it through a 360... just over half throttle and ended up barrel rolling with the ski breaking a couple of my ribs as it rolled over me.. lesson learned... lucky escape... helmets are not a dumb idea...

Now days it is mainly setup for fishing as I don't fancy going in the water at this time of the year..

Planning on doing a weekend camping trip over to coromandel from Half moon bay next summer with a group of mates. take it easy to get across to coromandel and fill up in coromandel township.. then head up the peninsula to find somewhere to setup base. If your keen on the idea keep in touch..

Wow 127kph on a 800cc SPX? Not bagging you but are you sure? I had a 1998 SPX 800cc (they are actually 787cc) and with high comp head, tuned exhaust, converted to premix etc. etc. it would not even be 55mph (88.51kph).

There was a white late model (2005?) Seadoo GTI there on the day, that had ported and polished head, heaps of other stuff done to it but still naturally aspirated 1500cc and that was just touching 55mph.

127kph is 78.92mph, I don't even think a SPX hull can handle that sort of speed without breaking into pieces? They are pretty light and the hulls aren't the strongest.

I'll go in the water any time of year :P As long as you got the right gear you don't even feel the cold :D

Yea have gone from Half Moon Bay around Waiheke and back with 1/4 left in the tank, did Half Moon Bay to Rangitoto, Cheltenham then Mission Bay and back also with 1/4 left. A couple mates with similar jetskis did HMB to Coromandel, refuelled and back. Was about 7pm and DARK by the time they got back -talk about keen riding in the dark! I'm NOT KEEN for night riding lol

Srsly Erron

Yeah that's what I was thinking.. having watched your clip and seeing the "certified" gps and your upgrades I was a bit dubious about the readings I was getting.. was borrowing a gps.. so most likely user error or highly inaccurate reading??..

Not keen on night riding either.. hence the over night trip..

Edited by melowpuf

most likely it wasn't.. not having anything to compare it to apart from jet boats and a couple of bigger 3 seaters and a standard spx it out runs them with ease..

From the looks of things you are tied in quite seriously with some big boys out there.. so I will say my speed reading is inaccurate and I wasn't doing 127.. I would like to see what my true speed is though.

Best mate has a Kawasaki 15f built by Edgell Automotive, 400hp, Fully worked 15f engine, Turboed and stroked out to 1600cc.Autronics ignition, the list goes on, Huge $$$$$$ spent.

Has been clocked at 85mph by a radar.

Also has a 250F, 2 Kawi SXR800'S, One built for ISJBA World Stock Class and One NZ Limited and a

HSR Benelli S4

Total of 5 skis.

Do alot of riding with him.

Edited by braeden.

most likely it wasn't.. not having anything to compare it to apart from jet boats and a couple of bigger 3 seaters and a standard spx it out runs them with ease..

From the looks of things you are tied in quite seriously with some big boys out there.. so I will say my speed reading is inaccurate and I wasn't doing 127.. I would like to see what my true speed is though.

Yea I'd get a reaming if I lied about speed in a video that was published on the the internetz for all to see with a reputable workshop name on it :P

When I had my SPX, I thought that was fast, like seriously fast. Then I got my GTX and holy sh*t it is a whole new level of fast. Don't get me wrong I know what you're talking about and what you meant :P To me my little SPX was king of the water, at the time haha.

Best mate has a Kawasaki 15f built by Edgell Automotive, 400hp, Fully worked 15f engine, Turboed and stroked out to 1600cc.Autronics ignition, the list goes on, Huge $$$$$$ spent.

Has been clocked at 85mph by a radar.

Also has a 250F, 2 Kawi SXR800'S, One built for ISJBA World Stock Class and One NZ Limited and a

HSR Benelli S4

Total of 5 skis.

Do alot of riding with him.

I know a guy named Matthew who has a jetski matching your description. Same guy?

I know a guy named Matthew who has a jetski matching your description. Same guy?

Nope

Jetskis are great fun. Pity so many are owned by tossers. Those particular idiots are the ones that are going to create compulsory boat registration, and licensing for recreational skippers. Which REALLY pisses me off.

I'm involved alot with recreational boating through one way or another and clock thousands of hours on the water a year. Occasionally you see some guy in a larger boat being a jackass. Occasionally you see some guy on a jetski being responsible. Note the difference. Ruins it for the rest of us.

Night riding is fun, but only if you have some sort of nav lights, and know what you're doing. Not being seen and not knowing EXACTLY where you are in the dark is not cool.

Your ski looks like a barrel of laughs - I'd quite confidently say its a tad more powerful than what I'd be happy to handle. I drive boats of 300-600hp at 30-55kts, but they're 8-12m long, so very different to that much power on a ski.

I'll dig out an old video of a bimmersport member and friends having some fun on some skis during the 2007 floods....

I'll dig out an old video of a bimmersport member and friends having some fun on some skis during the 2007 floods....

Bs movies enhance my experience! Yay!

Floods? In Northland paddocks? ^_^

We have rivers up here you know....

In any case, filmed near Helensville. Older members will remember Steve-KB posting this up....

Love the bit at the end!

Jetskis are great fun. Pity so many are owned by tossers. Those particular idiots are the ones that are going to create compulsory boat registration, and licensing for recreational skippers. Which REALLY pisses me off.

I'm involved alot with recreational boating through one way or another and clock thousands of hours on the water a year. Occasionally you see some guy in a larger boat being a jackass. Occasionally you see some guy on a jetski being responsible. Note the difference. Ruins it for the rest of us.

Night riding is fun, but only if you have some sort of nav lights, and know what you're doing. Not being seen and not knowing EXACTLY where you are in the dark is not cool.

Your ski looks like a barrel of laughs - I'd quite confidently say its a tad more powerful than what I'd be happy to handle. I drive boats of 300-600hp at 30-55kts, but they're 8-12m long, so very different to that much power on a ski.

Yea the guys that go out at nights are very experienced and have nav lights.

Yes I do hate the idiots on the skis that show no respect or regards to anyone else's safety OR THEIR OWN aswell.

We go out of our way to ensure rider and other waterway user safety. The part of the Waikato River we use is reserved ESPECIALLY for PWCs (jetskis).

Found here:

http://www.ew.govt.nz/regional-services/Na...tions/#Heading8

Where are our jetski zones?

There are places in the Waikato region specifically for jetskis where other recreational vessels must give way to you. These zones are:

* The Waikato River upstream of the Tuakau Bridge to the Smeed Road Quarry.

* Tairua Harbour between Pleasant Point and Duck Creek.

* Whaingaroa (Raglan) Harbour from Te Hara Point to 700 m north of Te Kaha Point, from 500 m south of Te Kaha Point to the northern side of the channel entrance.

* The Awakino River mouth to 200 m downstream of the boat ramp.

* The Mokau River from a distance of 50 m upstream of the State Highway 3 bridge to Tauwhare Stream, and the Wairere Dam area extending 850 m upstream from the Wairere Bridge.

There are also some areas where the use of jetskis is prohibited:

* The Waikato River between the Mangaonua Stream and Pukete footbridge in Hamilton and from Fisherman’s Road drain to the Tasman Sea. Jetskis are also prohibited in the ‘Water Ski Zone’ located from Namuheiriro Island to Motutieke Island (unless towing a person or object).

* Whaingaroa (Raglan) Harbour from Putoetoe Point east to Tokatara rocks and all waterways from Putoetoe Point upstream of Opotoru Estuary, including Wainui Stream. Jetskis are also prohibited in the ‘Surf Boarding Zone’, located 700 metres north of Te Kaha Point to 500 m south of Te Kaha Point, 1.5 km south along Ngarunui Beach, and from Manu Bay to 500 metres west of Whale Bay (unless towing surfers).

* The ‘Restricted Activities Zone’ on the Marokopa River, located 350 m downstream of the boat ramp to Moerua Road, unless accessing the open speed zone or 5 knot zone.

We have rivers up here you know....

In any case, filmed near Helensville. Older members will remember Steve-KB posting this up....

Love the bit at the end!

Watching that video just made me think how "rich kids" with nothing better to do are just total idiots.

I would never put my jetski through that sort of use, having a specially prepped race engine and setup costs a shitload of money and I never run it in less than 0.5m of water as the pump intake would be way too close to the waterbed it'd suck up so much debris destroying wear rings and impellors.

I hope someone destroyed their ski in the making of that video :rolleyes:

On the other hand, in a rare unfortunate event, a coastguard boat runs over a jetski at a sanctioned event.

Jetski v. Coastguard - Woman Lucky To Survive

It's not a good day when the very craft which is on the water to save lives and keep everything in order, accidentally runs over the top of a woman riding a large 3 seater jetski. What's more unbelievable is this woman was in a group of riders heading to the first buey in the womens endurance race on Saturday at Narrowneck Beach in Auckland - an event which requires a huge amount of paperwork and organisation to have temporary usage of the area for racing on that particular day and time.

Mrs Kelland, was riding her new Yamaha FX, and was hit from the side by the coastguard boat, miraculously pushing her off the ski into the water before the boat tore over the jetski ripping off half the handlebars, tearing the topdeck of the hull to pieces and shredding the seat with the propellor. Mrs Kelland was observed in the ambulance for a short time but only suffered one cracked rib and a possible broken ankle. The jetski is a write-off.

Read more in the NZ Herald online here:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article....jectid=10578899

^^^^Saw that article. Very unfortunate thing to happen involving a Coastguard vessel. They should know better. It's not clear from the article who was at fault (of course the implication was that it was the Coastguard vessel), but regardless both skippers of both vessels had a responsibility to maintain a constant lookout, and take avoiding action to prevent a collision. Coastguard needs to be setting an example, and as the skier was taking part in an approved event on an approved course, the onus must be on Coastguard to make sure they keep out of the skiers way. Glad the skier wasn't more seriously injured.

I don't mind the guys in the video so much - they're on private property, and how they treat their skis is their on business. However, on public waterways it is a good example of what NOT to do.

I wasn't aware their were areas set aside for skiers - that is an awesome move by the Council (I presume Regional Council initiative?) The land transport department could take note...

I wasn't aware their were areas set aside for skiers - that is an awesome move by the Council (I presume Regional Council initiative?) The land transport department could take note...

Yea it's awesome; we can drop a course down in the river and other boats HAVE to go around the outside, not through the middle.

Watching that video just made me think how "rich kids" with nothing better to do are just total idiots.

I would never put my jetski through that sort of use, having a specially prepped race engine and setup costs a shitload of money and I never run it in less than 0.5m of water as the pump intake would be way too close to the waterbed it'd suck up so much debris destroying wear rings and impellors.

I hope someone destroyed their ski in the making of that video :rolleyes:

C'mon, that video was pretty cool, looked like way more fun than hooning in a lake?

each to their own though

C'mon, that video was pretty cool, looked like way more fun than hooning in a lake?

each to their own though

Not so cool when you get the repair bill or completely f**k the hull of your jetski?

It's like;

Thrashing your BMW M3 around the track where it was supposed to be.

Or take it off roading thrashing it over massive dirt jumps and sand dunes.

Each to their own though.

Guest Simon*

Not so cool when you get the repair bill or completely f**k the hull of your jetski?

It's like;

Thrashing your BMW M3 around the track where it was supposed to be.

Or take it off roading thrashing it over massive dirt jumps and sand dunes.

Each to their own though.

I thought it was uber cool!! I like that we as kiwis do this kinda sh*t. I know I've done my share of dumb and dangerous stuff over the years. Does look heaps more fun/dangerous than doing doughnuts on the ocean or scaring swimmers :D And nobody but themselves to blame or hurt if it all goes horribly wrong. Respect

Rallying or offroading an M3 sounds pretty good too TBH

E: spellink

Edited by Simon*

Hell yeah, that looks like hella fun!!

Its not like fanging your M3 through sand dunes or offroading it. Its more like taking her up a back gravel road and having a bit of a rally challenge, which it perfectly fine. Each to their own.

Its your own vehicle, do with it as you want. I think it looks like total fun!