Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Z3 Short Shift Group Buy

^ Mitch if we can get 10 people, I think then we could get Jason to talk to his guy and do a mass order, up to you though.

I did one before and I order the parts from teamMcmillan,total cost me 220 incld GST.

Just wait for the group buy maaaaaan

How do I get one even shorter? Just chop the shaft itself?

You wouldn't want any shorter Peter. Too hard to change gear and the change rod is likely to touch the coupling on the driveshaft

Ah, thanks for that. Just thinking of shaving off those tenth seconds that are oh so important in city driving ;)

Well count me in for whatever group buy you do. I don't know if I already have a shorty or if it will even fit, but hey, what the hell. I can onsell if its not suitable/I already have one.

$100 is a good price for genuine Z3 1.9 shifters. Especially if that includes Gst & freight. The best I could do for members was $110 incl Gst

It is a good price, includes GST but not freight. I have yet to work out the freight costs.

You can order the Z3 M shifter which is shorter again, but you will need to take the harmonic balancer off the driveshaft or it will make contact.

Hello Gents

Just noticed you have offered the boys the short shift, but we sold the last stock to Glen, I am sure he has a few projects on the way, but maybe he could spare one or two, your call as BMW NZ have no more stock of this item, new stock is always a gamble on price and time delay when the cars are getting a bit older and ordering from BMW AG.

Hope you boys can sort something with Glen

Cheers

I purchased the last 4 BMW NZ had in February and put 10 on back order in March... only 6 arrived with my back order... there are no more available from BMW NZ, I have six, but I cant do them for a $100... maybe $120 inclusive.

I dont mean to hijack... you guys are trying to do the right thing..as I said before $100 is a good price...go for it

I've already sold 3 to customers...if someone wants one urgently...ring me

glen,you know short shift kit is popular.you very smart.lol.

bought them all in NZ.

Edited by mitchE30

I used the z3 1.9 shifter - was around $125 4 years ago. You will also want to think about replacing the bush Brent mentions as it makes a huge difference (almost more than the shifter itself - seriously), and the new plastic washers and clip are important also.

I can't see how the short shifter will make any difference to your synchro wear on a bmw gearbox due to the design. It does require more force to shift as a function of the loss in leverage, and equally makes the shift feel more notchy. Around town it actually makes shifting slower. But it does really improve shifting on harder driving, and I WAAAAY prefer both the shift feel, and the height of the shifter in the car. My gearknob is also really good with the short shift being basically just a bit of milled aluminium screwed over the end of the shifter.

The new levers are superceeded. The only extra bits you might need is the lever retainer bush & maybe the support bracket bush, thats all.

What do you mean by superceeded?

What do you mean by superceeded?

Superceeded to a different part and number.

Hello Gents

Just noticed you have offered the boys the short shift, but we sold the last stock to Glen, I am sure he has a few projects on the way, but maybe he could spare one or two, your call as BMW NZ have no more stock of this item, new stock is always a gamble on price and time delay when the cars are getting a bit older and ordering from BMW AG.

Hope you boys can sort something with Glen

Cheers

I have a source. so :P

Superceeded to a different part and number.

So how does that mean you wouldn't need to replace worn bushes. I don't follow. Or am I reading out of context?

So how does that mean you wouldn't need to replace worn bushes. I don't follow. Or am I reading out of context?

I was just explaining what superceeding was, maybe the new part has the bushes supplied under the same part number?

I just got one from Jeff Gray BMW so they must have some somewhere.(1.9 z3)

Price hurt tho-$135 + gst

I tried BM warehouse & their price was the same & 4 wk delivery.

I was just explaining what superceeding was, maybe the new part has the bushes supplied under the same part number?

Yeah man I know, I'm just asking the question - Glenn - clarify? I doubt the bushes come with - last time I priced that knuckle-joint bush it was near $100, and that was before e30's hit the Mobile Tradition Catalogue. With the weak dollar and the move to Mobile Tradition, e30 parts have seen a recent price hike - not cool.

Yeah man I know, I'm just asking the question - Glenn - clarify? I doubt the bushes come with - last time I priced that knuckle-joint bush it was near $100, and that was before e30's hit the Mobile Tradition Catalogue. With the weak dollar and the move to Mobile Tradition, e30 parts have seen a recent price hike - not cool.

The lever has been superceeded...not the part number. If you look at ETK the bottom bush on the lever has two washers (10) these are not needed any more. The lower bush on the lever is different now and the washers are built into the bush. You might need the retainer bush /bearing (7) which I would suggest replacing.

You might also need (4) (2) and the (10's) at the gearbox end of the shift linkage. The knuckle joint (12) very rarely needs replacing, however if it is worn ...replace it.

When I advertised these last time my price was $110 inclusive. I could only get 4 which I sold and I back ordered 10... bit of a cock up I only got six and BMW don't have any more. They cost me more as well. I have three left to sell but I cant do them for less that $120 inclusive of Gst... if the boys can do them for $100.... go for it...thats a really good price. I'll just keep mine in stock for customers.

Edited by *Glenn*

I get you now.

By the way, the knuckle joint itself is fine - its the bush on the end of it that the linkage sits in that is the issue. You cannot buy a replacement bush, so its the whole joint. Most bushes on e30s will by now have so much play/slop that they need doing. You can drill/press the bush out and replace with nolothane or similar, but it's not an off-the-shelf replacement, and takes a little more workshop skill than just replacing the joint.

Hey guys. Final prices = $94incl gst for the shifter arm, and $28.60incl gst for the plastic cup.

I have 15 shifters which will be arriving either next friday or the following monday. (3/7/09 - 6/7/09)

Delivery times depend on how much of a hurry people are in and how much you are willing to spend on shipping.

PM me with how many of each item you would like, your address and how fast you want the shipping to be (overnight, 3 days, track and trace etc) then I will get back to you with shipping costs and payment details.

Cheers, Jason

Edit: Price of plastic cup = $28.60.. still cheaper then the $34 rrp though

Edited by SIR E30

Thats a bloody good price...well done

Thank you sir - ex germany FTW

Thank you sir - ex germany FTW

You might have to wait longer than what you anticipate though. I had to because they were on back order