Sign in to follow this  
Bradley

BMW e46 Key Replacements

Hi All,

I recently bought a 2000 BMW 328i, but unfortunately it only came with 1 key. I really want to get another one, but heard that i cant just go down and get another one cut, that i have to order one in from germany, as there is some sort of special computer in the key.(heard its bloody expensive aswell)

Does anyone know how much this is going to set me back? and if i have to take it to a BMW branch to get it done?

ANY help on this would be a great help.

Thanks alot,

BEAMER BOY.

Theres a transponder in the key that only ties to your car, an e36 one is around 360+GST iirc

Edit

Link to thread about e36

Edited by jordy

You can get them off Ebay. They are easy to program to your car.

$117 + Gst for standard key (non remote)

$320 + Gst for remote key

Both X Germany ordered by chassis #

And it arrives quickly. I closed my eyes, gritted my teeth and handed over the cash for a non-remote key so I'd have a spare in case something bad happened to the key I've got.

Hi All,

I recently bought a 2000 BMW 328i, but unfortunately it only came with 1 key. I really want to get another one, but heard that i cant just go down and get another one cut, that i have to order one in from germany, as there is some sort of special computer in the key.(heard its bloody expensive aswell)

Does anyone know how much this is going to set me back? and if i have to take it to a BMW branch to get it done?

ANY help on this would be a great help.

Thanks alot,

BEAMER BOY.

you need to buy the key through BMW dealership. Cost $380 for a remote 2-button. Rang up armstrong (http://www.armstrong.co.nz/) who does transponder keys but they said they can do it for all cars just not BMW.

I paid $30 NZ for a key from Germany just the month gone by. Was through a friend. Could pass on his details if you like? He bought in a large bunch of VW keys and just tacked mine on the order

Edited by Pjay

To help you understand the keys:

A BMW key has 3 x Security Systems on it.

Mechanical Security

The mechanical cut of the key allows it to be used just in your car. A locksmith can cut the blank key to fit.

If the mechanical cut is wrong, you cannot turn the key in the door locks or the ignition locks

Infrared or Wireless Central Unlocking

The key also contains either a wireless or infrared remote control unlocking transmitter.

This must also be synced to your car to ensure only your keys unlock your car.

The syncing to the car can be done by the user or the dealer.

Transponder for Immobiliser

The electronic transponder on the key has a unique serial number. Your BMW can have, in its lifetime, up to 12 transponders synced with it. 4 are provided when new, leaving a max of 8 possible replacement transponders that can be sychronised. Syncing of the transponder to the car can only be done by BMW with the diagnostic equipment.

If a mechanically-fitting key with a wrong transponder is inserted, the immboliser detects this, and does not enable the car. It stays immobilised.

So when you get a blank key, you must

a) cut it to fit your mechanical locks

B) sync it with the car to allow it to remote unlock

c) sync it with the immobiliser to allow it to enable the car for driving

Edited by jochen

I paid $30 NZ for a key from Germany just the month gone by. Was through a friend. Could pass on his details if you like? He bought in a large bunch of VW keys and just tacked mine on the order

Ohh mate that would be awesome!! Was your key for a e36 or e46? If you could email those details to: bradley8@gmail.com that would be gr8. Cheers heaps.

small correction. germany will now only make 10 keys with the same transponder chip to minimize the risk of a lost key being found and used on the car. after 10 keys you have to purchase a new EWS control unit and full new lock set. it is impossible for anyone in nz to copy these keys. and the keys are now programmed in malaysia which kinda defeats the bmw purpose. you can get 3 or 4 different styled keys for you e46 that are suitable for everyday use. prices will vary from about 140 for a basic key to about 380 for a full remote

On 6/23/2009 at 6:53 PM, pjay said:

hi there,

can you pass me the info how to order one please?

Lost my car key and don't have spare one. My car is BMW318i 2004

Your help much appreicated

Cheers

Jake

On 7/5/2009 at 3:24 PM, Bradley said:

Ohh mate that would be awesome!! Was your key for a e36 or e46? If you could email those details to: bradley8@gmail.com that would be gr8. Cheers heaps.

hi there,

can you pass me the info how to order one please?

Lost my car key and don't have spare one. My car is BMW318i 2004

Your help much appreicated

Cheers

Jake

This is a very old thread Jake, you might not get a reply.

In your case, with no spare, your best bet is to call BMW. They'll need your license plate number so they can work out your chassis number.

I recommend you get a couple of keys, at least one with remote. Unfortunately that will be expensive.

3 minutes ago, M3AN said:

This is a very old thread Jake, you might not get a reply.

In your case, with no spare, your best bet is to call BMW. They'll need your license plate number so they can work out your chassis number.

I recommend you get a couple of keys, at least one with remote. Unfortunately that will be expensive.

If you know what type of key you had (there are two blade types for that generation car, you can also buy a blank on ebay ($15ish landed) and get a locksmith to cut it for you from the cylinder. Then get it programmed. Your costs will be lower than a new key from BMW I wager. (although the BMW key option is zero hassle, you just pay for that convenience...)

Take the ews module out, find someone with an AK90 or EWS editor machine to read the main chip info off it, burn a new key transponder chip, take out the key barrel but not the tranponder loop and hold the newly burned transponder next to the key slot and use a screw driver on the ignition switch to turn it.

or you could do above but get a new key cut from the code on the barrel 

Edited by M3_Power

21 minutes ago, M3_Power said:

Take the ews module out, find someone with an AK90 or EWS editor machine to read the main chip info off it, burn a new key transponder chip, take out the key barrel but not the tranponder loop and hold the newly burned transponder next to the key slot and use a screw driver on the ignition switch to turn it.

or you could do above but get a new key cut from the code on the barrel 

If you want to post your EWS, I'd happily code a transponder for you. They cost $5ish on ebay, if you want to go the route above.

I currently have one diamond key but would like another one. Is there anyone in Wellington who can code them? (Also wasn't there an option where you could buy them pre-coded overseas? Schmiedmann? ) Or do I need to ship my key somewhere?

Failing that, does anyone have a recommendation on an AK90 or EWS editor to buy?

3 hours ago, eliongater said:

I currently have one diamond key but would like another one. Is there anyone in Wellington who can code them? (Also wasn't there an option where you could buy them pre-coded overseas? Schmiedmann? ) Or do I need to ship my key somewhere?

Failing that, does anyone have a recommendation on an AK90 or EWS editor to buy?

The Schmiedman key is around $200. They just need your VIN and proof of ownership.

Not in Wellington, but if you ship your EWS, I can code keys for you if you post EWS.

AK90 I use is this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AK90-Key-Programmer-V3-19-Match-Tool-For-BMW-EWS-CAS-From-1995-2009-New-2017-/232397879728

Keys, make sure to get the correct blade type for what you have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Button-EWS-Remote-Key-For-BMW-3-5-7-Series-E38-E39-E46-433MHZ-315MHZ-PCF7935/172098543489

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EWS-Remote-Key-For-BMW-3-5-7-Series-E38-E39-E46-433MHZ-315MHZ-W-Chip-HU58-3BTN/172103766805

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

The Schmiedman key is around $200. They just need your VIN and proof of ownership.

Not in Wellington, but if you ship your EWS, I can code keys for you if you post EWS.

AK90 I use is this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AK90-Key-Programmer-V3-19-Match-Tool-For-BMW-EWS-CAS-From-1995-2009-New-2017-/232397879728

Keys, make sure to get the correct blade type for what you have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Button-EWS-Remote-Key-For-BMW-3-5-7-Series-E38-E39-E46-433MHZ-315MHZ-PCF7935/172098543489

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EWS-Remote-Key-For-BMW-3-5-7-Series-E38-E39-E46-433MHZ-315MHZ-W-Chip-HU58-3BTN/172103766805

And remember to check your Frequency so the remote talks to the keyless entry receiver!

35 minutes ago, 325_driver said:

And remember to check your Frequency so the remote talks to the keyless entry receiver!

These keys are dual frequency. You can switch between frequencies with a button press sequence.

6 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

These keys are dual frequency. You can switch between frequencies with a button press sequence.

Saw that online some where - holding a button and pressing the other.

But the guy that did my key ages back , said he had to swap the board - maybe he didnt know

Hello.

I am looking to get a replacement transponder key for an year 2000 BMW 318CI. I went to a local BMW dealer in Tauranga today and got quoted $444 (GST incl) which I feel is very steep.

If I got blank key of eBay would anyone be able to help me programme it?

Many thanks.

35 minutes ago, ckay27 said:

Hello.

I am looking to get a replacement transponder key for an year 2000 BMW 318CI. I went to a local BMW dealer in Tauranga today and got quoted $444 (GST incl) which I feel is very steep.

If I got blank key of eBay would anyone be able to help me programme it?

Many thanks.

I am happy to program keys. Post your EWS and key to me and I can sort you out. I don't like to get involved in cutting, as the prices vary wildly and I don't have a good cost-effective solution near me though.

Make sure you buy the right blade type for your key. If you post pictures of your key, I can advise which on ebay. Send me your VIN too, so I can verify the frequency you need. :)

On 12/13/2017 at 6:44 PM, Gabe79 said:

I am happy to program keys. Post your EWS and key to me and I can sort you out. I don't like to get involved in cutting, as the prices vary wildly and I don't have a good cost-effective solution near me though.

Make sure you buy the right blade type for your key. If you post pictures of your key, I can advise which on ebay. Send me your VIN too, so I can verify the frequency you need. :)

Hi - I just bought an '01 E46, but only got one key with it.  Can you recommend a blank and program it for me? Box of beers if you can!  There is a person on eBay who says he can cut a key from a photo?  Or should I get it cut around here somewhere?  The guy at Armstrong in Red Beach says he can cut the key, but not program it because of the BMW rolling code EWS. I'm in Kaukapakapa.

E46 BMW1.jpg

E46BMW2.jpg