Sign in to follow this  
driftfinatic

Another airbag question

So my car failed its wof cause the air bag light didnt come on. On closer inspection it was found that the air bag light is always on and someone has pulled it out so it dosent look like its on during the day but it is on all the time at night!!! So i was poking around the car and I realised that neither of the seat belts are plugged in and the wires are just floating around. my problem is i cant find the wires to plug the seat belt plugs into. i dont no if this is ment to be like this or what but both sides are not plugged and just cable tied out of the way..

E36 316i

Manual

What a dodgy repair of a critical safety system!

Fix it - use the diagnostics to determine what is faulty then repair the fault.

Do it properly - airbags are desiged to save lives.

Ive had a closer look and i have realised that it is not the pretensioner wires that are unplugged its some other ones that come from inside the female end of the seat belt plug. my guess it they are actually nothing to do with the actual airbag system more of an seat belt warniing device.

Ive had a closer look and i have realised that it is not the pretensioner wires that are unplugged its some other ones that come from inside the female end of the seat belt plug. my guess it they are actually nothing to do with the actual airbag system more of an seat belt warniing device.

Get it scanned to determine the exact fault. Its more than likely the passengers seat occupancy sensor mat or a pre tensioner wiring loom fault. These wiring looms are now superceeded and in most cases the pre tensioner doesnt need to be replaced, just the loom itself. However, I suggest you get it scanned first. There are other components that can fail and cause the SRS light to come on. If you've had a flat battery recently or you disconnected the battery, it might just need a reset.