Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

Porsche 911 SC

+1 for everything Cam is saying... I know this because I've done alot of work on these cars when I had my business in Parnell... we also maintained a few of the race series cars

My brother in law had a '90 911, which is admittedly newer and possibly more expensive to repair, although I doubt it.

He replaced the clutch. It WAS $5k. If someone quotes a number, maybe they have an idea.

I'm not sure it should be $5k on a 964 either - I suspect he needed a new dual mass flywheel too at that price (not going to be an issue on an early car - resurfacing is possible). Either way, mechanically and electrically a 964 is significantly more complex than a 911 SC (2 generations --> like e21 vs e36). They just look the same.

Edited by CamB

I'm not sure it should be $5k on a 964 either - I suspect he needed a new dual mass flywheel too at that price (not going to be an issue on an early car - resurfacing is possible). Either way, mechanically and electrically a 964 is significantly more complex than a 911 SC (2 generations --> like e21 vs e36). They just look the same.

I would tend to agree, I thought it was outrageous. May have included the flywheel, the first time they did it it ended up with a terrible vibration and was completely redone at the workshops expense. Maybe they saw him coming.

Air cooled Greg... agree with the oil leaks on these...rocker covers and pushrod tube seals

I think Greg was taking the piss… well I hope he was! My uncle has one and still asks the petrol pump attendants to check the Oil and Water ;)

Haha woops, i wasn't taking the piss, just not thinking that's all. Edited by Greg.

Wish I had to make this choice -_-

Ryan - get the 911. It is tenfold cooler than any E36.

I can't understand why you are even having to think about it.

I'd get the Porsche and go to the auctions and buy a $1k shitter daily thrash hack or bus pass, and let the Porsche sit some more and put 5,000k's per year on it e.g.

No competition when it's a 318is, i'd still prefer my car though.

Get it checked then go for it.

Oh yeah - you check the oil level when the car is operating temperature and idling. You are checking the level in the tank coz they are factory dry sump. Awesome.

Haha I know i know. I should just get it. I dont want a yuck car as a daily or a bus pass...

Im just thinking it over for a week or so. Theres no hurry since its not for sale to the public so I got time..

I appreciate the input guys :)