Sign in to follow this  
topcat

intake pic, proof of the big bang

Posted Image

in the shop now,wont be too long before its back on the road.

might make some mild alterations to the runner length while its there.

its easier when its off for a reason :rolleyes:

Maybe a pressure blow off valve in the manifold Martyn ???

that would have be one heck of a bang to split the seem like that. alterations to prevent a repeat?

Be lucky it wasn't a plastic one, pieces for africa.

that would have be one heck of a bang to split the seem like that. alterations to prevent a repeat?

could do,some sort of bov.but i'm leaning to spend alittle more on the dyno and tune at this stage of the day.

backfires arnt really a problem on injected engines,if setup right.

`

Edited by BM Weapon aka topcat

when i make any intake manifold under presure i never using any ally under 5mm thick

the plenum should be around 2x engine displacment and avoid sqaure ends or corners

to spilt a setup like that can also be caused by cam timing out or to lean on overun,or a valve not seating causing a backfire

blow valves sit before the manifold and dont affect them in anyway to cause the manifold to split,

Edited by crunchy

looks like lack of root penetration or fusion in the the welds to.

leave a good 1.2 mm gap when tig welding anything like this...i have welded t6 aloy boxes together that in test has withstood 3000psi

looks like lack of root penetration or fusion in the the welds to.

leave a good 1.2 mm gap when tig welding anything like this...i have welded t6 aloy boxes together that in test has withstood 3000psi

thats true but looking at the surface area of the manifold being too big with no reinforcing it would balloon out and burst,even carbon fibre ones ive made in the past we needed atleast 8mm thickness to withstand 20psi.

when we went thinner we also got pulsing under vacum giving poor vacum signal.

thats true but looking at the surface area of the manifold being too big with no reinforcing it would balloon out and burst,even carbon fibre ones ive made in the past we needed atleast 8mm thickness to withstand 20psi.

when we went thinner we also got pulsing under vacum giving poor vacum signal.

keen to have a look at that intake...sounds hella kool.

i currently hold my 4703 ticket in tig keen to fabricate this kinda stuff

keen to have a look at that intake...sounds hella kool.

i currently hold my 4703 ticket in tig keen to fabricate this kinda stuff

i haven't kept my ticket up which was i believe 4711, and since I'm not building to many bridges these days its not allot of point :)

to be honest unless your after the bling factor or weight saving the carbon way isn't cheap and dam time consuming,the two we did one was on a 911 turbo and the other a Lexus v8

they looked great but a pain to build,we even did cooler piping from carbon and vacuumed it and dam they were light and strong and that was worth the time.

used PVC piping to make the shapes we wanted and molded them on the inside,you could bounce a sledge hammer of them

i haven't kept my ticket up which was i believe 4711, and since I'm not building to many bridges these days its not allot of point :)

to be honest unless your after the bling factor or weight saving the carbon way isn't cheap and dam time consuming,the two we did one was on a 911 turbo and the other a Lexus v8

they looked great but a pain to build,we even did cooler piping from carbon and vacuumed it and dam they were light and strong and that was worth the time.

used PVC piping to make the shapes we wanted and molded them on the inside,you could bounce a sledge hammer of them

i had to pay 5grand at nzwelding school last year to get my 4703 witch is the new nz standard for tig im currently sitting a CAT in welding and fabrication at unitec the 4711 is for arc and mig witch i have now got, both just standard no vertical or down hand tickets...found them to hard...it helps to have a cupple of years experence under your belt to bother with them.

i could imagine how time consuming that would of been wot did you charge buy the hour for that? haha

i had to pay 5grand at nzwelding school last year to get my 4703 witch is the new nz standard for tig im currently sitting a CAT in welding and fabrication at unitec the 4711 is for arc and mig witch i have now got, both just standard no vertical or down hand tickets...found them to hard...it helps to have a cupple of years experence under your belt to bother with them.

i could imagine how time consuming that would of been wot did you charge buy the hour for that? haha

i did my ticket may years ago and then became a toolmaker,then after that took up design engineer and cadcam engineer which are all just bits of paper,lolol

now i just design and build custom turbos for people around the plant so that consumes alot of my time.

yes the labour thing,it turned into more a love of labour but it was interesting and fun to do.

yes the labour thing,it turned into more a love of labour but it was interesting and fun to do.

oh mate i bet.

how is it all going now? have you fixed the problem and are there some pictures? really interested

how is it all going now? have you fixed the problem and are there some pictures? really interested

All good,just back from another run down to the waikato and back.

runs ok,not tuned yet. still running the e28's fuel map with a 2.5bar regulator.

not really any different engine bay wise,maybe tidier.

at 6psi it doesnt set any new speed records,but lights the rears in second,so its a start.

that,and still does twice the open road speed limit with ease :unsure:

builds boost from 2k and i estimate 3.5 is full,hard to tell,as i still have a small leak in the intake manifold

that wasnt fixed last time it was off :angry: looking for sum more intake gaskets as the ones on it now have been recycled ones already with the last problem.dont think they'll do the job a third time round. <_<

interior is basicly done,looks good.

lots of vibrations coming thru the car/seats.

dont think the wheels are 100% round.

might ask for votes on how i should have them refurbished-but thats another thread

i'll post pics later

m