Sign in to follow this  
volcanoblack

Anyone tried D1 Racing slotted rotors?

Your not going to get front rotors for less money unless you buy the crap chinese ones that seem to be flooding the market. I've never used or seen these ones. As i suggested before... buy genuine or Brembo... at least your buying quality and you dont need anything better on your car for normal driving with a stock vehicle.

just buy stock rotors of which ever brand you like and have them slotted, i use to slot 20 sets a week

How much woul slotting them cost?

How much woul slotting them cost?

35 per rotor

Have you got a number i can call? i would be keen thats pretty cheap!

workshop is 098107009

Is it allright to slot factory rotors? Have heard otherwise...

If so then I will send you a pair.

If so then I will send you a pair.

ive never had a problem doing them,the better the condition does help to get life from them as you dont want to go below min thickness.

vented or non vented isnt a problem,even the brakes on my open 250 kart are slotted and there only 6mm

Your not going to get front rotors for less money unless you buy the crap chinese ones that seem to be flooding the market. I've never used or seen these ones. As i suggested before... buy genuine or Brembo... at least your buying quality and you dont need anything better on your car for normal driving with a stock vehicle.

Glenn, Did you know Brembo has a manufacturing facility in China? So who's to say your beloved BNT Brembo's aren't crap chinese!

Having sold disc brakes for eight years now. I see less problems with Chinese rotors on both Japanese and European cars than I did selling only European sourced product. In saying that I still have access to Zimmmerman for those who want to spend more. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Glenn, Did you know Brembo has a manufacturing facility in China? So who's to say your beloved BNT Brembo's aren't crap chinese!

Yes I've been told that. However Brembo control the quality of their product and put their brand on their chinese manufactured disc rotors and their name on the rotors as well unlike some of the unbranded crap that is coming out of China. Its not so much the quality of the steel. Its the machining innacuracies ie: disc not being hubcentric and not running true (run out)

Edited by *Glenn*

Glenn, could you please clarify whether or not it would be OK to slot factory good nick rotors?

Glenn, could you please clarify whether or not it would be OK to slot factory good nick rotors?

I cant see why not...so long as the rotors are thick enough and the slotting doesnt go under the minimum size thickness

Its not so much the quality of the steel. Its the machining innacuracies ie: disc not being hubcentric and not running true (run out)

If that's the problems your having, its time to change your supplier to a more reputable supplier that stands behind there product.

In the thousands of rotors we sell each year the number of faulty rotors we see back has actually decreased since changing to Asian suppliers! Believe me its way to expensive to ship heavy rotors half way round the world then warehouse and sell them only to have them come back! We as suppliers to the trade can not afford to import and sell dud products (especially brakes!).

Your generalisation that all product from China in a white box is crap is not helpful. The market in NZ is very price driven (white packaging is cheaper), the best quality and price is currently from China. Maybe in a couple of years you will be moaning about crap product from India ;)

• Like 1

I accept that I made a generalisation...however if the parts were branded then I could name the product that has failed. We have tried using white boxed unbranded rotors supplied by customers previously and every time it has cost us time, money and alot of trouble for our customers. I now will only use OEM or well branded products. Especially brakes or other safety items on vehicles.

BTW. Genuine brake components have a warranty of 2 years for product failure (not wear)

at the end of the day your wallet will deside what you buy,if we all had deep pockets we would have the best.

i can get rotors off indy cars if anyones interested? there rated to 300mph

good price too at 180us per rotor made by performance friction,steel not carbon

I run DBA Slotted Street Series rotors on my E30 325i Racing Car, combined with Performance Friction Brakes PFC06 Compound pads. I got at least 5 race meetings out of my current set of pads, and 4 meetings out of the DBA rotors - the PFC pad is harder on the disc than those I ran previously, but better performing. The DBA slots don't go all the way to the edge, which reduces the risk of stress cracking on the external rim of the rotor.

DBA part numbers: Front DBA679SL or DBA679SR (left or right hand), Rear DBA671SL or DBA671SR

Hi Guys I am the person behind D1Racing New Zealand so I'll clear up any comments below

35 per rotor

Okay so lets say you buy two TRW rotors from repco $96 each plus $35 a rotor =$262 basically the same price as I'm offering,

Yes how else are you going to do it?You cant cast slots into a disc face this is what DBA street series are.Only race discs have different heat treatment and metals

Having sold disc brakes for eight years now. I see less problems with Chinese rotors on both Japanese and European cars than I did selling only European sourced product. In saying that I still have access to Zimmmerman for those who want to spend more. :rolleyes:

Good call,China has some of the lowest labour costs in the world hence why Fisher and Paykel have moved there along with cadbury. They are willing to produce products for the rest of the world unlike the states which make it hard for foreigners to do business.Agreed alot of parts that do come out of china are badly made but my suppliers of brake rotors have had alot of success with their products.

Yes I've been told that. However Brembo control the quality of their product and put their brand on their chinese manufactured disc rotors and their name on the rotors as well unlike some of the unbranded crap that is coming out of China. Its not so much the quality of the steel. Its the machining innacuracies ie: disc not being hubcentric and not running true (run out)

I've said glenn I'm more than happy to send you a pair of rotors out for you to try and let me know your thoughts on.

Slotting stock rotors is fine , and at the price crunchy is offering I think I might join the cue.

On the thread of the original post - why would you pay more for D1 copy when you can have the genuine article for LESS from a dealer?

What do you mean by copy?all my rotors are machined here on a CNC mill by an expert machinist,when you buy a DBA disc you are paying for the brand name, distribution, marketing and a nice box unless your a Metallurgist and can prove otherwise I'd appreciate you not making those comments about my products.

As for the white boxes,if you have received a rotor in a white box this mean you have bought directly from an importer/distributor.These discs are purposely importe in plain boxes as they are bought by all the dealerships to fit to their customers cars they are also sold to the large chains to brand themselves.

For those of you who like rotors in red boxes please tell me which one is which out of these rotors there is a zimmerman brembo chinese and a TRW.

post-350-1247516129_thumb.jpg

Edited by SRBMW
  • Like 1

that's all well and great MRD1 but no matter whats on offer the guys wallet will decide what he does

even with my own business and what i write for mags you can only but advise

if we all had deep pockets then AP or PERFOMANCE FRICTION would be on the list,but that's not the case.

and for the record many good rotors are cast in India,Ive made many rotors from billet fixed and floating that out last most of the shelf units.

there's a guy in the Ill of white that does billet rotors for bikes and lemans based cars that cant keep up with demand and there not that's costly to do.

Holy thread revival batman!

Looking at these D1 rotors - has anyone got any feedback on them?

Thanks

Don't buy cheap chinese rotors they will warp from the heat in a short space of time and make make your steering wheel shudder when braking!

57 minutes ago, Dong Chen said:

Don't buy cheap chinese rotors they will warp from the heat in a short space of time and make make your steering wheel shudder when braking!

https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/warped-brake-rotors-vibrating-reality-or-internet-myth

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/05/19/6-biggest-brake-rotor-myths-debunked/

So, not really a worthy thread necro.

Edited by KwS

On 9/6/2021 at 7:25 PM, Dong Chen said:

Yeah this is what we told customers to sell the more expensive rotors.  Which came from the same factory and had the same lateral runout specs.

On 9/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, KwS said:

We should make these into a nice site sticky.  I enjoyed reading through them.

• Like 1