Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Paint job prices

Anyone have an idea on what it should cost to prep and paint an e30 bonnet, bootlid and drivers door ?

I can get all the parts relatively easily but I want to be sure replacing and painting these parts is going to be cheaper than just getting them repaired.

The bonnet on the 'is' is rusted, the door is bent with the two knocks its had and the bootlid has rust under the spoiler and has had a paint job done by a blind man with touretts so is probably touch and go with needing replacing rather than just fixing.

So Im just checking out the options before I decide what to replace and what to repair.

Cheers

Not sure of an exact price for an E30, But the Painter I go to charges $170+gst to prep and paint a panel, Thats here in NP at New Plymouth Car Painters.

I dont disagree Tony, the bonnet is being replaced but the bootlid appears to only have rusted underneath a truely awful paint repair.

When I get it off the car, get the spoiler off and get the paint off, I should know just how bad it is. Having said that bootlids are expensive so if the paint job is minimal Ill just do that !

You will be lookin' at approx' $180 per small panel (door/bootlid/guard) and upto $280 per big panel (roof/bonnet).

Mate if you were closer to me i would do it for $330 all in.

I was quoted $600 for paint for a E30 bonnet, didn't do it, must shop around. $5k for a respray too, that also stopped it dead.

Guest FrantiC

I know a guy here in Hastings who does full panel/paint $900 (+ the cost of paint) for an entire car.. Or $500 if you do the prep yourself.

Anyone have an idea on what it should cost to prep and paint an e30 bonnet, bootlid and drivers door ?

I can get all the parts relatively easily but I want to be sure replacing and painting these parts is going to be cheaper than just getting them repaired.

The bonnet on the 'is' is rusted, the door is bent with the two knocks its had and the bootlid has rust under the spoiler and has had a paint job done by a blind man with touretts so is probably touch and go with needing replacing rather than just fixing.

So Im just checking out the options before I decide what to replace and what to repair.

Cheers

Give Mike @ Tornado panel & paint a call, they are in the hutt. They do most of our yard work and its not uncommon to see exotic cars like ferrari's etc in there - they do a fantastic job. I have had some work done there and will be going back for the rest to be done. If your doing the bonnet and drivers door you will need to do the front right guard too as you need to blend the paint anyway.

Give them a call and take the 'IS' down there and see what they say.

My 2c....

I know a guy here in Hastings who does full panel/paint $900 (+ the cost of paint) for an entire car.. Or $500 if you do the prep yourself.

HI mate, I live in napier and will have to have my trueno re-sprayed, would you know if this guy still does re-sprays for that price? cause dam thats cheeaappp haha...cheers

HI mate, I live in napier and will have to have my trueno re-sprayed, would you know if this guy still does re-sprays for that price? cause dam thats cheeaappp haha...cheers

I want that dudes number if you can get it =D

Plus old post and that dude is banned/ been removed.

Edited by 5amchris

I want that dudes number if you can get it =D

haha hell yeah, Usually its around probably 3 grand for a full re-spray, and for me im really trying to save at the moment. lol he might do a crap job tho.....

This thread is over a year old...

but that guys new username is "e30ftw"

haha hell yeah, Usually its around probably 3 grand for a full re-spray, and for me im really trying to save at the moment. lol he might do a crap job tho.....

Not really.. Ended up around $1500 for this :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Are a couple imperfections, but if you saw the body work prior its damn straight as hell now. And that was inside / out engine bay and all.

Edited by e30ftw

Not really.. Ended up around $1500 for this :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Are a couple imperfections, but if you saw the body work prior its damn straight as hell now. And that was inside / out engine bay and all.

thats nice! Very cheap for a full re-spray, where abouts did you get it done and did you do all the prep work yourself?

Nah i just did the engine bay cos I wanted to smooth it out. A guy I knew did all the panel and prep for $900 then it was $600 to be sprayed by a paintshop in a booth. Would have done the prep myself but didn't have time, If you can do the prep yourself then you will save a crapload.

Nah i just did the engine bay cos I wanted to smooth it out. A guy I knew did all the panel and prep for $900 then it was $600 to be sprayed by a paintshop in a booth. Would have done the prep myself but didn't have time, If you can do the prep yourself then you will save a crapload.

oohh ok, with the prep work is that sanding it down and priming it?, or is it that and removing plastic panels, lights (for full re-spray) and masking everything up for paint?