Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

E30-323ti - Turbo Question

Where to start???

I have a red 1985 E30 323i german assembled and privately imported.

The old M20 recently died of old age, not too bad for 300,000km.

So I was left to fix the problem, putting another M20 in would be the easy/cheap solution but where is the fun in that?? and it would still be an old engine.

I then thought a M50 2.5l from a E36 would be nice until I saw how much they cost, average price I got was $3500 (with no loom, ECU or gearbox).

I then turned to the dark side, Japanese engines.

I didn't want a turbo (as all my other cars are) so I was looking for a NA 3.0l supra motor from a MKIV (JZA80). But there weren't any around, I managed to find a really good deal on a Twin Turbo Soarer engine.

The package came with 2 engines, 5 spd g/box, looms, ECU, IC and all piping (plus a whole lot of other misc stuff) for $2300.

I couldn't say NO.

The engine specs are: DOHC 24v L6 Twin Turbo

Bore x Stroke: 86x71mm

CR: 8.5:1

Power: 208kw (280hp)

Torque: 363Nm

It has an easy 80hp over the M50 I originally considered.

That makes it a good HP/$ conversion even at the expense of using a toyota engine.

The engine is a very snug fit in the E30 bay, requiring a new radiator to be custom made. The spare engine I got was from a Mark II Tourer with a fron sump so it suited the E30 (the soarer engine has a mid-rear sump suitable for a E36 conversion).

The exhaust is a tight squeeze past the steering column so I could only use 2.5" for that section, I am currently using the 2.25" exhaust I had on the car before as I haven't found a muffler I like yet, the new exhaust will be 3" from the gearbox back.

The gear stick sits only 20mm further back than the stock one so no problems there.

You only need to plug 3 wires in to make the dash work again (Tacho, temp and economy).

I have also upgraded the front brakes using Nissan patrol discs and EVO IV calipers.

The discs are a 2 piece construction consisting of a high tensile steel hat bolted to the disc with 6xM12 high tensile allen bolts.

Well that is about enough babbling for know, here are some pics:

post-5-1062538927.jpg

Guest Andrew

!!!! thats amazing man , good effort.

I'm still doing the m50 conversion. I don't really know enough about turbo setups to get one happening on my car + i'm 18 so i'd never get insured for a car that was 280ish hp and only like 1000 kg :D

The m50 does bolt up okay to the m20 gearbox with no real issues, so i'm going to use that for a while.

hah everytime i look at your car it makes me want to drop the m50 idea... ^_^

Did your car get certed ok?

and out of curiosity what in your m20 died?

Picking up the brake hoses this arvo, then a few test drives and a visit from the certifier early next week, fingers crossed.

How much did you get your M50 for andrew?? Did you get the loom ecu etc...

Did your 320 have motronic ECU or the older L-jetronic??

Mine is a L-Jet model so it would need a bit more fiddling to wire in the M50 I believe, not that the soarer engine plugged in either :)

My old GB wasn't suitable for any further use if you catch my drift (it was F&*ked).

Have you got any pix of it??

post-5-1062547148.jpg

Guest Andrew

Hi,

I don't have my m50 yet, hopfully will have it this dec and will go in over the rest of my uni holidays. Although now i've seen the prices for your project i'm seriously considering a re-think of plans. I hadn't considered a jap motor at all. What did the soarer motor want in terms of sensors etc etc.

I got quoted (the best quote) 3000 for the motor with no loom or ecu. I'm not sure how much that will be (the loom and ecu), I'm going to use the Project Orca (zionsville motorsport) CD ROM m50 swap guide to help me out. I also have the L-Jet fuel injection but as far as i'm aware it doesn't add too many complications.

just looking at your pic.. is there a clutched fan in there? i can't see, or are you using an electric fan.

congrats on a very clean install!

Guest coka

woww!!....how much was the whole project for?..(2.5L twin turbo).. nice job man.. would u get insured ?...would it cost heaps?

I use a slimline 14" electric fan.

The toyota engine came complete with all sensor loom, ecu etc...

Just plug it in give it power and away I go.

I still have ALOT of cleaning up to do, lots of wiring I don't need etc...

Hopefully getting the certifier down on wednesday.

I'm only going to have third party insurance which shouldn't be too much, If I crash it and it my own fault I'll just have to bit the bullet.

For fire and theft I will have to get it valued.

I blew up the tacho on saturday, bit of a bugger, I turn the adjustment POT to far, o'well, get it fixed I guess.