Sign in to follow this  
dloubser

BMW 320i (e30)

Hi Guys

New to the group. Got a 1990 320i, a really sweet motor, but have a problem, the head is cracked, and will go pretty soon. My mackie has advised that the cheapest option is an engine replacement, what I want to know is can I put a 323i engine in the car, I can get a reconned 323i pretty cheap. My mackie thinks there is a different engine management system in the 323 which could make it a pricy option.

Your thoughts and advice would be great

Dave

Go for a 325i engine as it will most likely have the same management/plugs, cost is anywhere from $500-$1500

What year is it?

Could get a m20b20 easy enough, PM Mike (323e30), he may have one. Or Ray.

Guest FrantiC

If it is a F/L E30, Should have no probz dropping in an m20b25 with the ECU etc, Can be had pretty cheap..

And then you don't tell anyone about it and you won't need a cert lol..

I had a m20 2.7l stroker in my 320i and never certd it, no body can tell the difference cos they all look the same :ph34r:

Easy to say go 2.5 but if you don’t have mechanical knowhow, the facilities or the time it’s still going to run you 1,500-2k depending on how cheap you can get the 2.5 and ass parts. You will need to swap the air flow meter and intake pipe so if you’re looking for an engine make sure it comes with these, the ECU is easy to swap.

If you can get a very cheap 2.3 do it, all you will need to swap the AFM and ECU easy peasy.

If it is a F/L E30, Should have no probz dropping in an m20b25 with the ECU etc, Can be had pretty cheap..

And then you don't tell anyone about it and you won't need a cert lol..

I had a m20 2.7l stroker in my 320i and never certd it, no body can tell the difference cos they all look the same :ph34r:

Do you need to cert a 2.5? They are hardly powerful.

I talked to a certifier about my car and they said don't bother as the b20 and b25 are of the same engine design, also both consist of original parts from the same time era and were used in the same design of chassis, a.k.a if I modify the engine with parts that were not released with the chassis design, I will need a cert.

Edited by Jamez

Guest FrantiC

Oh I always thought there was somthing about the increase in displacement, and more than a 15% power increase ? or was it 25%? meh I dunno.

^^ Yeah im pretty sure it was +15% ?? owell they all look pretty much the same :ph34r: