Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Mongrel E30 Race Car

No, I didn't wait for the 3000th post to post this, was just a coincidence.

Anyways, about a month ago I was looking for an E30 shell that I could put a motor into and then cage so that I could learn how to drive around the track. After searching for ages for a decent POS for cheap, I found this puppy.

Posted Image

It's a SA 325 auto with an LSD, had sweet black motorsport leather, cruise control and a few other lil goodies. Did I mention it has an LSD? I paid under $1k for it and paid $200 to get it here from Wellington. It was de-reged and had been sitting on a couples lawn for 4 years without being driven.

Went to the depot in Auckland (Highly recomend Jeff's car transporters) to drive it back to Albany-from Manukau. The guy had warned me the brakes may need bleeding. Well there was no fluid at all and so I drove it back with no brakes. Was fun though. Stopped at the first gassy I could find to put some gas in and check the coolant etc. I couldn't get the bonnet open- a layer of scum had formed around the whole bonnet and glued it shut. A bit of persuasion with the wheel brace revealed this.

Posted Image

Had nearly no water in it, f**k all oil, no brake fluid.Topped everything up and drove it home with no major problems-bar having no brakes.

Soon as I pulled into the driveway,this happened.

Yes,that's right- her water broke.

Posted Image

That's really about it.

Plans for it are to cage it, put a whole lot of awesome suspension bits onto it, decent brakes, and one day when I get enough coin/knowledge I WILL do an engine conversion. But I wanna do it properly, so will wait till I can find something puuurfect.

Basicly, want something to learn how to drive (fast).

Anyways, have just finished the manual conversion- well nearly, it still aint starting.

Gutted the interior, no pics- we all know what a stripped E30 looks like.

Cut the sunroof and the cradle out.

Mate is making me lexan sunroof panel,rear window,and rear side windows.

Deleted all the sh*t that won't be needed- A/C, Heater and all the associated wiring.

And am half way through tidying up the interior.

Have got it booked in to get the cage next week and will be ordering parts as cash permits. Will probably be VERY similar to Henry's (Incary) setup.

Will post as many pics as I can throughout,but don't own a camera so may be a tad hard.

Any feedback would be sweeeeet.

Cheers

Ashkan

Edited by Indecorous

Sounds like its gonna be a good project dude :D

Will keep a close eye on this one

Nice man will be a bit of a weapon when its all complete with a nice engine tucked in there.

Sweet deal, cheers for the seats too!

Monster Engineering are doing the cage. Never heard of them,but the pics of the cages they have done before look fairly promising.

Have sussed new seats and other goodies that I will chuck up as they go on. Have a pretty sweet bedroom of E30 bits right now :D

Big thanks to Mike @ Synthe (323e30) for the parts and help along the way.

Yesss another e30 build to follow :D

Cool, was waiting for this thread to pop up. Will be watching with interest.

Cheers fullas.

What has everyone done done RE: painting the inside?

Should I paint the inside before getting the cage done and then do the cage after? I can see some of the spots are going to be a PITA to get at even with no cage there.

Clean and prep it at least before the cage goes. Its a mongrel to prep with the cage in the way!!

I'm thinking I might paint mine first as well and touch up the areas that need it after.

I think I will.

E30's a floppy piece of origami.

Awesome!! Love the plastic windows and cage route, have fun. And great to see another person getting the cradle out..

And yeah if you need any advice or info about spring rates and parts choices, give me a pm and I'll type up a speel.

Will do in a month or so when funds allow.

The cradle was defintly the hardest part of the whole thing, bar the dash... not really looking foward to trying to re-fit the dash...

Were any of your sunroof bits rusty at all? Just curious.

Nah they were mint! Was expecting it to be similar to yours, even the panel itself was sweet.

That's incredible really, must have lived a great life with no blocked drains either in a garage or not in humidity central Tauranga (where mine spent 10 years)

Actually no- it spent 4 years on the front of a lawn, never got washed... cant really tell from those pics but Ill try find some more. And all four hoses were blocked haha.

Oh lol! Geeeze I read the first post well....

Anyway, DO EEET!

Struggled all day to get the thing started, ended up just giving up and drinking some beers and falling asleep.

Some crappy pics I found though, note the pimp steering wheel and crap everywhere.

Last pic is the seats I acquired today. Bloody comfortable too :D

post-1246-1248590711_thumb.jpg

post-1246-1248590957_thumb.jpg

post-1246-1248591172_thumb.jpg

Whats the black covered wire / wires going from your passenger footwell into your shift boot?

It's the reverse light sender wire. Should probably wire that up at some point.

Mhmm i've just been doing mine today. It looks like its coming up through the floor in your pic so you had me wondering, but its not is it?

Nah mate its coming through that (ripped) boot.

Anyways, today I went and had a talk to the guy that will be building my cage today, have put the cage on hold for a month or so so I can save up to get it done a lil more comprehensivly. He will also be building an alloy dash for me at the same time.

I had a chat with him about making some tuned equal length headers and he quoted me a damn good price to do the headers and the full exhaust.

Now, I have 2 questions.

Will I need a cert for the alloy dash?

Will the headers need to be redone if I was to say do a 2.8 stroker conversion and/or fiddle with the motor in any other way. IIRC, do they build the headers according to stroke length etc? I would ask him but he has gone on holiday for a couple days.

Is there anything else I should take into account before getting them done?