Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Mongrel E30 Race Car

Looking good all painted, that's an awesome idea with the tin foil! Is that usual practice or did you just decide to use it?

I was actually walking through Warehouse extra while waiting for a bank apointment and they had a clearence on tin foil. 12 rolls for $4 so I bought them.Made a couple sweet hats and stuff.

I saw it on Ollies race car build and it seemed pretty logical. Easy to put on and pull off.

Anyways, late night mish to the roll cage shop.

post-1246-1250408714_thumb.jpg

Funny you should ask.

Went and had a gawk today and to drop some bits off.

Cage is nearly half done. Just needs side intrusion cross done and to be fully welded back up. Am very happy with the design.

Also, my lexan windows are done and ready to go.Didn't weigh the glass exactly but 4 windows on a stack being carried out to the side of the road weighed about the same as 1 maybe 2 of the lexan windows. The back window would easily weigh half of what the glass window weighed.

Got a couple of quick pics.

post-1246-1251161850.jpg

post-1246-1251161884.jpg

post-1246-1251161905.jpg

post-1246-1251161945.jpg

Looking good Ashkan, if you still want those gauges, let me know, I finally recieved the oil adapter yesterday, so it's all here if you want it.

Yeah mate, will let you know. Am looking at going completly different again, just need to do some more resarch first.

Also had a go at trying to make a rangi ass FG bonnet. Is going to be a whole lotta work. Just covered the whole bonnet in til foil. Layer of CSM. Will need a whole lotta leveling.

Ok, so my attempt at making a bonnet sucked.

I now have a steel bonnet with a stack of FG on it. Won't come off. Will try something different at some point :)

Ok update but no photos, will put them up tommorow when I get my card reader back.

Mission day!

Went over to the rollcage_shop and fiddled with a few bits and pieces.

-Got pretty much all the lexan on,just waiting to figure out how I can best mount the sunroof. The vent I have in the front drivers window is WAY too small so will have to figure something different out I think. And I want it to be leak proof,which is proving to be bloody difficult!

- Started making up a new intake boot out of alloy. Don't know how well it will work but I was bored. I don't see why it wouldnt work just as good as the factory item.

-Got me a new bonnet to replace my other one which is now covered in CSM and resin and tinfoil.

-Patched up the Tech 2 rear bumper and covered the tow bar hole.

Then I realised how good a day it was and drank some Summits.

Hopefully have the car back by Thursday.

Ok, so my attempt at making a bonnet sucked.

I now have a steel bonnet with a stack of FG on it. Won't come off. Will try something different at some point :)

If you want a hand with making a FG bonnet let me know,weakends only, :rolleyes: just Email me or text me 0272417328 24/7

Cheers will get in touch probably next month when I have some more $

Ok so heres some really crappy photos.

Cage is all done.

Seats are mounted now. Sits WAY too low and a bit too far back. Will have to do something bout it.

Dash is done.

All the windows are pretty much done, do I have to run a strap or 2 down the middle of the rear window? They are held in by SS bolts every 6 inches.The vent is also way too small/useless so will redo that.

Exhaust is done, no pics but it's 3 inch from the headers, 1 resonator 1 muffler. Sounds allright, bit too loud but meh.

post-1246-1252396073.jpg

post-1246-1252396113.jpg

post-1246-1252396144.jpg

post-1246-1252396274.jpg

Oh and here is a pic of the new intake boot to replace the rubber item.

Works a treat.

Oh and what ~ $60 of stainless steel nuts and bolts look like... <_<

post-1246-1252396503.jpg

post-1246-1252396530.jpg

Intake ftw it will look awesome. Jealous.

Looks good Ash.

More pics of the dash?

Remind me what this cars fof?

And I think a couple of straps are a good idea. Dont what it falling out at 260k/h!

If there is enough interest,can make some more of them boots :)

Have taken 2 weeks off work in a couple weeks so I can grow a beard and work on the car. But mainly to grow a beard.

Will get some more pics of dash soon but it is pretty basic (read:rangi) but it serves it's purpose and weighs FA.

You can't really see on the pics but there are 2 holes drilled out on the roof where the main hoop is. I can't imagine how I'm gonna get them straight again and have spent sooo long getting all that weight OUT of the roof that I don't really wanna throw 5kg of bog into it :rolleyes:

Small update.

Have spent all day- well from about 4 when I woke up cutting the old bumper mounts off and welding in new tabs.

Have gutted the insides of the rear bumper and just held them in with PK screws.

Sunroof panel is back and ready to go in.

Will get some pics tommorow. Am happy with the back bumper,it is lighter with the tech 2 on it that it was standard. :)