Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Handbrake adjustment HOW-TO

If its not one thing its another at the moment. Took my car in for a wof and everything passed except the rear hand brake. Few weeks ago i did the rotors and pads and everything seemed ok.

Now i find if you pull on the hand brake it grabs hard on the right hand side.

This arvo i pulled both wheels off and adjusted the drum pads up so they were equal to what i thought was the same both sides. Ie tighted them up until i could feel the friction of the inner pads by turning them by hand then loosing them off 1/2 turn. Apply hand brake and both unable to turn by hand.

But put wheels back on and slow drive forward and pull hand brake on and you feel right hand side rear of car drop down as hand brake works but nothing on left hand side.

Anybody got anything that i should maybe be looking at.

Edit. Also he said there is a bit of play on the left hand side front. Bearings seem ok, When he had it up i climbed over the rail so i could have a look and from what i could see and he agreed it apeared to be the following. (pic i found not my actual car)

Posted Image

This is the outer ball joint correct. ?? , Would it be an easy job for me to replace myself. What sort of price for parts.

Edited by M-Spec

You havent adjusted the handbrake cables and shoes correctly...an no you need a special press tool to fit the front ball joints correctly without damaging them

You havent adjusted the handbrake cables and shoes correctly...an no you need a special press tool to fit the front ball joints correctly without damaging them

Thanks for that Glenn, Do you mean the Cable at the leaver end ??. Does the cable split in two with adjustment to each wheel ??

Edited by M-Spec

Thanks for that Glenn, Do you mean the Cable at the leaver end ??. Does the cable split in two with adjustment to each wheel ??

Yes at the handbrake end .. I'll tell you how to do it in the morning.. I cant at the moment

Yes at the handbrake end .. I'll tell you how to do it in the morning.. I cant at the moment

Cheers Glenn there's no rush mate.

You need to back off both handbrake cable adjuster nuts first under the handbrake lever boot . Have the rear on axle stands. Adjust the handbrake shoes up till they lock the rear solid. Back the adjusters off by three teeth on the adjuster and make sure the wheel is free on both sides. You can do this with the wheels on, just take one wheel bolt off to access the adjuster with a long, thin screw driver. Then lift the hanbrake lever up 2 clicks and adjust the cables up so that the rear wheels just start binding evenly on both sides (it helps if 2 people do this) saves alot of time getting in & out of the car. Dont be overly concerned if the cables adjust up at slightly different lengths... sometimes that happens due to stretch in the cable. Make sure that the binding effect is the same on both sides. Then try the handbrake. It should lock the rear wheels on 3-4 clicks on the handbrake lever. Then make sure with the hanbrake off there is no binding on the rear wheels. Then lock the 9mm nuts against the 12mm adjuster nuts and that should do it, unless there is a problem with your handbrake shoes or the rotors... did you check them when you did the brakes ?. If the rear rotors are aftermarket, they may not be hubcentric which can give you problems doing this. You will get binding on the wheels after adjusting them properly.

Then try it by reversing slowly and pull the handbrake up. The rear of the car should lift evenly on both sides if you have got it right.

Hope you can follow this

You need to back off both handbrake cable adjuster nuts first under the handbrake lever boot . Have the rear on axle stands. Adjust the handbrake shoes up till they lock the rear solid. Back the adjusters off by three teeth on the adjuster and make sure the wheel is free on both sides. You can do this with the wheels on, just take one wheel bolt off to access the adjuster with a long, thin screw driver. Then lift the hanbrake lever up 2 clicks and adjust the cables up so that the rear wheels just start binding evenly on both sides (it helps if 2 people do this) saves alot of time getting in & out of the car. Dont be overly concerned if the cables adjust up at slightly different lengths... sometimes that happens due to stretch in the cable. Make sure that the binding effect is the same on both sides. Then try the handbrake. It should lock the rear wheels on 3-4 clicks on the handbrake lever. Then make sure with the hanbrake off there is no binding on the rear wheels. Then lock the 9mm nuts against the 12mm adjuster nuts and that should do it, unless there is a problem with your handbrake shoes or the rotors... did you check them when you did the brakes ?. If the rear rotors are aftermarket, they may not be hubcentric which can give you problems doing this. You will get binding on the wheels after adjusting them properly.

Then try it by reversing slowly and pull the handbrake up. The rear of the car should lift evenly on both sides if you have got it right.

Hope you can follow this

Thanks for taking the time to write all that out Glenn, Will be doing it this weekend. Will let you know how i get on.

Just wanted to say a big thanks Glenn. Put the car up on the weekend and adjusted things up. Very handy hint in just removing one wheel nut to get to the adjuster, Worked like a charm.

Getting to the adjusters on the handbrake was a pain no room to move them, Ended up removing center console surround that is around the lever to do adjusting.

Just took it back to vinz and the left side is now a little more than the right side where as before there was nothing on the left. Everything is now within spec and i have a new warrant :D