Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Operation: Weapons Grade

looking good, how much does the old one weigh

old daul mass is around 11-12kg (sorry dont have scales with me)

Sorted out the clutch / pressure plate today ..

Went for Carbon / Kevlar instead of a metal composite to keep the drive train rattles down and will be a little nicer to drive in traffic. Perfect mix of hard core driving / track days and heavy street and ablility to drive in rush hour without glazing up the clutch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had a 3035 ft pound pressure spring mated to a new OE sachs housing. Is good for 450rwhp.

Posted Image

All assembled ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Off to be balanced tomorrow :)

Update:

Sorry for the lack of photos on this one .. Will click some off tomorrow, forgot to bring the memory card up in the camera.

So just to tidy up the last post, I had the pressure plate / clutch and flywheel and pressure plate bolts all balanced.

Not much was needed to be removed and suprisingly the Sach pressure plate housing was apparently a 9/10 balance .. which was nice to hear.

Ok so today was pretty epic.

The brake booster was removed and the new laser cut brake booster relocation plates worked perfectly. Thanks to Brendon for getting the measurement bang on and Ollie for sorting the CAD and laser cutting.

Thanks to westy, he fabbed up and welded an extension to the brake booster swing bracket from the brake push rod. Just need to get the e34 brake push rod into it.

All in all the Brake booster was moved around 60mm to allow the s50 plenium to fit.

Tomorrow the z3 2.8 3.0 ratio steering rack goes in and e36 6 cylinder power steering pump and steering pump reservior goes in and will run the new brake lines.

Later in the week the 5 series sump and oil pick-ups go onto the new engine and we will attempt to shoe horn it and the gear box into place to check for final clearance.

Thanks to Ray and co, Westy and Brendon for today.

EPIC! :wub: patiently awaiting photos wana see where this brake booster is sitting an how the fire wall clearance is doing

In the mean time here is a pic of the Fluidyne all alloy racing e36 radiator I ordered on some one elses car. Mine is still in transit from the states. Holds another 1/3rd more water than the stock e36 radiator.

Posted Image

Price on radiator if you don't mind me asking? The rest sounds good :D Photos will be great,

$1033 including gst and shipping from fortyone.co.nz

Some photos of the handy work over the past few days.

New hole cut in the firewall

Posted Image

Firewall side relocation plates. There is a plate on each side of the firewall 3mm thick stainless.

Posted Image

Booster installed (yet to be painted :) still mocking up) Brake lines are still to be done properly ran out of time today.

Posted Image

The brake swing bracket on the interior side which has been extended to handle the move.

Posted Image

E34 brake pedal push rod was re threaded with a tap and dye set today and installed. It fitted perfectly.

Posted Image

New z3 Steering rack which we found out was a 2.8 lock to lock ratio one! .. win. A date with the degreaser and a hose, it came out new :)

Posted Image

Installed

Posted Image

15mm Spacers installed into the rack. Will investigate maybe putting these at the bottom to lift the rack to reduce bump steer however this all depends weather it will clear the engine, wont know that till the engine goes in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats all for today ... more friday going to plan.

That brake custom work looks awesome! keep it up Josh/everyone helping on this :)

have you figured out how to correct the bump steer with the Z3 rack? I've read that they give chronic bump steer when unmodified.

looking good tho!

The problem only happens when the car is lowered. In our cases jamez yes something needs to be done about it.

Purchasing these to lower the tie rod ends for bump steer correction.

Posted Image

Will do this when we rip everything out and clean up the subframe and install the new bushings.

Another successful day.

Tidying up the brake lines and swapping the e34 sump / new revised s50 pump / e34 pick from the 'old' engine to the new one.

Brake line tidy up, Brendon managed to work some pretty cool solutions, like the e36 square brake fluid reservoir.

Posted Image

Posted Image

While brendon spent literally all day in the engine bay I lined up both the S50b32's and started work on swapping the oil pans and oil pumps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

S50b32 oil pick ups from the new engine to come out.

Posted Image

Little sh*t of a oil sprocket nut .. known for coming off. Left hand thread.

Posted Image

Pump removed .. noting the pick up support bracket is connected to the main bearing cap bolts. I removed these and re torqed them back up with my new toy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New oil pump and pick up

Posted Image

Cleaning up the sprocket shaft and sprocket for loctite blue and torqued.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And one last stupid photo ...

We couldnt figure out weather to make a 3 engine 6wd e30 ... that and thought there isn't a photo anywhere where you would see 3 s50b32's in one spot :D

Posted Image

• Like 1

Whaaaat 3 s50's??!

Looking good man. Do those s50 headers fit in to an e30?

One of them is Rays :) .. thought we would do this photo before I started puling two of them to bits.

They will go in ... because every everyones application of the s50 conversion is different we will pop the engine in and see what we need to move / modify. Soon we will be sorting out the steering colum. Ray has an idea about this out of some of his parts and there is a possiblity of moving the sway bar down a notch. which will require new longer swaybar clamp brackets and bushes.

But to awnser your question. Yes it will fit.

Quite a bit has been done to the engine over the past few days.

While it may look the same, the final modifications to the engine were finally completed today.

Posted Image

Polished up the heat shield

Posted Image

Everything double checked torque wise on the bottom end and the new oil pan gasket and e34 oil pan is finally bolted on and torqued.

Posted Image

High temp gasket silicon added to the metal joins on the block face.

Emmsions pump and hoses removed and bunged up. factory blank off plate and gasket also added.

Posted Image

Whats going on here :) New modified dipstick and supports. Sounds simple .. but it was a bloody mission to get it to curve correctly out of the sump and flush hug the plenium.

Posted Image

notice a bracket made up that clamps the dipstick tube and a swivil clamp towards the top which worked perfectly! :)

Posted Image

New cap bolts for the M cover (new one on the left) from the bolt shop .. I bought 6 with washers for $3.

Posted Image

Perfect clearance

Posted Image

Cover installed :)

Posted Image

One piss me off thing that happened today .. my intake plenium boot split .. which kinda pissed me off as while they aren't too expensive .. they generally have a two week turn around ex german for m parts. Can't win em all.

Posted Image

Next the engine goes in for mock up .. Ollie is sorting out some cad drawnings for the steering rack spacer .. but ill post that in another update sometime next week hopefully.

notice a bracket made up that clamps the dipstick tube and a swivil clamp towards the top when worked perfectly! :)

Nice! I used a zip-tie :P

Engine is looking schweeeet.

Zip tie is only to hold the oil sensor wire and the oil line return up as there isnt enough thread on the studs at the bottom of the sump to put the s50 bracket on.

If you look carefully there is a metal bracket about half way up that straps the dipstick to the vanos pressure accumulator straps. (try saying that 5 times :wacko:)

Zip tie is only to hold the oil sensor wire and the oil line return up as there isnt enough thread on the studs at the bottom of the sump to put the s50 bracket on.

If you look carefully there is a metal bracket about half way up that straps the dipstick to the vanos pressure accumulator straps. (try saying that 5 times :wacko:)

I see it. I was saying that I used a ziptie (rangi mods lol ) to hold the dipstick onto my engine, instead of the clip you have. Looking good.

Edited by Mark247

ahh righto ... hehe I just woke up lol. Long night of cats fighting outside woke me up 5am :|