Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Operation: Weapons Grade

Big thanks to Ray for his help last night ... 1:00am finish.

Shifter install ...

To ready the car for the engine install we needed to install and locate the shifter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interesting to see that e30 already come with the front locators that you can just punch out. Almost as if BMW motorsport required this for the homologation for DTM shifters ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Temporarily installed

Posted Image

Bugger I just lost the whole post which took me an hour to do :/ Ill re-type it

New Intake plenium boot

Posted Image

The gearbox which we found out was missing the gear selector sensor.

Posted Image

off to RealOEM to order..

Posted Image

Installed the engine mounts

Posted Image

Pulled the flywheel and pressure plat apart to install the flywheel onto the crank

Posted Image

Posted Image

We found that the bell housing flange plate is the same as a standard e36 plate.

Posted Image

Installing the Flywheel with $50 worth of new flywheel bolts :| and loctite

Posted Image

Posted Image

Done

Posted Image

Posted Image

Installation of the pressure plate which proved to be interesting. We actually couldn’t get the gearbox on in the end with it on. Even though we used a clutch alignment tool I think it still may have been out by a little bit causing the gearbox input shaft to misalign the spigot bearing. Will sort it out later, for now we get the gearbox and engine in so we can check the clearances.

Done'ish'

Posted Image

Its hammertime

Posted Image

get in there bitch

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its tight

Posted Image

real tight

Posted Image

Like a nun even

Posted Image

Posted Image

O2 sensors just fit

Posted Image

Extractors vs the sway bar ... will have to modify

Posted Image

Money shots :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next is a date with the hoist and some fancy new engine brace which will allow us to hang the engine in mid air while we move the subframe to work on the clearance issues.

more on thursday.

ahh i love it , can you please tell me where you got those caster mounts for your 5 lug conversion.

A lot of hard work and prides gone into this project, a big well done from me.

If you really want a challenge, getting the engine back out ha.

Guest Ari Gold

Awesome to see it in. 2/3 of Antiform smiling away like it's Xmas ;)

2/5 B)

Faces say it all boys, well done!

You're making my Polaris weapon feel neglected!

Aligning the engine part 2

Fancy new jig which allowed us to remove the subframe

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of the clearence issues faced

Posted Image

You cant really see it here but the number 6 pipe hits the firewall .. will pull it off and heat and bend it in two places .. one to clear the firewall and the next to clear the steering colum.

Posted Image

E21 gearbox cross member :)

Posted Image

final clearance for the booster ... heeeeeaps of room! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

And finally a video showing the DTM shifter in action.

sunday the next update ...

Awesome. Good to see that clearence to the booster. Those plates worked sweet.

Looking good Josh... I thought that extra jig I gave you would come in handy :D

Looking good Josh... I thought that extra jig I gave you would come in handy :D

very handy in the end! .. thanks!

Josh, getting back to the flywheel business, apart from the free revving side of things, what other advantages is there having the single mass flywheel and sprung clutch over the dual mass and solid state?

Josh, getting back to the flywheel business, apart from the free revving side of things, what other advantages is there having the single mass flywheel and sprung clutch over the dual mass and solid state?

Thats pretty much the only reason. Its a funny thing to try and explain to people who want dyno proof as a dyno can't really measure the difference. You wont gain any more power, however off the line your car is lot quicker up the rev range and more throttle nimble.

Matching your revs on a down change (heal toe) takes a bit more practice as well.

Other things are you introduce gearbox chatter with the clutch out in neutral however you can counter this by going for a hybrid mix of redline gearbox fluids. The sprung clutch helps with the high clamp pressure loading as does being carbon kevlar.

While the car will be ok in AKL rush hour traffic .. its not going to be the most comfortible to drive.

For your car, the flywheel/clutch mod would be good if you wanted more 'acceleration'.

Before running out and doing this, let me get the thing running and come see how it is.

As westie said with his metal comp clutch / lightened m20 flywheel and heavier pressure plate .. 'Its not for everyone" Hes switching to a carbon kevlar clutch to reduce some of the savageness of the bite.

Have a look through here Greg. This is what I did with mine

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

Cheers guys, nothing like freeing up revs on an already rev happy motor.

Before running out and doing this, let me get the thing running and come see how it is.

yeah i would be keen to see how this one goes.

The way we went is cheaper than buying aftermarket clutches. An off the shelf stock replacement clutch kit would have cost pretty close to what this very much uprated setup cost......so future clutch replacements (or reconditions) will be quite alot cheaper and easier to deal with than the dual mass being that a new flywheel doesnt have to be made, only machined.