Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Operation: Weapons Grade

A high carbon disc will help with disc wear, also pad brands will wear discs differently it can take some time to get a happy balance between pad wear and disc wear.

Yeah if you can be assed looking up the spec of the GT42 rotor youll find theyre all of what you talk about and more. The pads are matched to the rotor also. So wear isnt a problem. They have been on there 4 + years with weekend driving and no issues.

Your discs have a larger than normal center venting area compared to most factory setups, but cooling the inner face will still cause issues, you do really need to get the air flow into the center of the disc to push the air through those large vents that you have.

They are floating ... the dont have an inner face bro, The pipe will be directed to a backing plate and onto 'massive brakes' hat and disperse from there.

I would becareful of over cooling the brakes also, especially on the road. It might be worth looking at making some blanking plates for the front intakes for the road, it's more of an issue if your running race/rally pads on the road. A lot of the hill climb guys in the uk run no cooling for the shorter runs to make sure they get the brakes up to temp for the run, they found they where getting issues with over cooling with the ducting on events under 5km.

Will probably look at this, Ill see how it turns out in real life.

Oh i didn't realise you had a semi race set up going on.

My M3 rotors are the same with the cooling fins, they're not straight, they also swirl outwards, i must say the factory setup is brilliant, it's never faulted, did you ever think of running an M3 setup?

Its running e30 m3 struts not e36 m3. Massive didnt make a big brake kit for the e36 m3 at the time. Going OEM you payed more money for less performance went it came to replacement so I when with a proper race setup.

Josh's Wilwood stuff is far better than the E36 M3 brakes ever were anyhow.

Not sure why you guys think that he has braking issues if he wants to use ducting, it's another factor that's knocked of the list.

I'd move the outlet of the ducting to the centre of the disc though Josh, as it looks like it favours the inside of the disc and can lead to problems. (it might have been covered in the posts since, in a hurry and didn't read them all)

will be done bro ..

Im starting to regret posting the pics at all as its just a mock up for pipe length, and causing mass amounts of typing on my part hehe. Will chuck up the final version when its done.

Josh's Wilwood stuff is far better than the E36 M3 brakes ever were anyhow.

Not sure why you guys think that he has braking issues if he wants to use ducting, it's another factor that's knocked of the list.

I'd move the outlet of the ducting to the centre of the disc though Josh, as it looks like it favours the inside of the disc and can lead to problems. (it might have been covered in the posts since, in a hurry and didn't read them all)

All i was saying was that they pull up my car pretty bloody quickly and with Josh's car being lighter..... But with the amount of money already being spent why not go all out.

I dunno - if you don't need it, why bother with the weight, complexity and cost. Maybe I'm just cheap and agricultural (or is that aggrocultural, lol).

Yeah if you can be assed looking up the spec of the GT42 rotor youll find theyre all of what you talk about and more. The pads are matched to the rotor also. So wear isnt a problem. They have been on there 4 + years with weekend driving and no issues.

They are floating ... the dont have an inner face bro, The pipe will be directed to a backing plate and onto 'massive brakes' hat and disperse from there.

Sorry mister man, i did google GT42, GT42 Disc Brake, and GT42 Brake Rotor and only could get information on the Garrett turbo stuff...

I think i was just looking at the photos and thought (i think like greg.) that you where going to be directing the pipe to that location - pointing that the inside face of the disc (where the pad makes contact with the disc on the engine side of the disc - hence inside face)

Edited by DRTDVL

yeah sorry man meant GT48. They are 332mm which is 13.06” Curved vane rotors. Temp rated to 600 degrees

So yeah, no issues from the pads on the road and the track. One of the great things and the compound is that you can drive them on the road without having to heat the up too much (this still bite well) however work very well on the track too. They dont suffer cold pad fade or extreme temp pad problems .. its the reason I went with them as they really are the best of both worlds.

The piping isnt for pads ... or becuase of any problems .. its simply to relate the extreme temps the rotors get too now with slicks on the car. Cooling them will stop the spikes in peak temp. In otherwords .. why not have them just as much not having them.

As for weight, it all will weight under a kg ... Im sure taking a dump before tracking it will balance that out :P

Fair enough on the weight - most drivers could stand to lose that kind of weight ... for free

Some additions.

I was very suprised how light these all were.

Front strut brace, rear strut brace and under body chassie brace.

Posted Image

Front strut brace installed. It cleared the s50 perfectly and more importantly the brake fluid well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The rear brace was a little bit more difficult to install because of my ground control rear top mounts and tower re-inforcement plates. I had to remove both wheels and drop the top bolts out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and installed

Posted Image

Ill install the under body brace tomorrow and upload the result.

Looking good mate! Just had another look at the video. Sounds awesome

I tried to install an underbody brace a fwe months back but it didnt line up that well, let us know how it fits !!!!

Edited by APT

Thats f**kin balla.

Take the cripple for a ride :)

sweet as :) .. @ hampton tomorrow if you're bored.

I tried to install an underbody brace a fwe months back but it didnt line up that well, let us know how it fits !!!!

yeah it was a bit of a fail for me today .. not because of the chassie / control arm eyeball arms being offset but because my exhaust and o2 sensors fowls up. Not a lot I can do about it as its tighter than a nun in there and no room really for anything to move. So its not a fault of the bar at all, just what you get when everything on this car has been adjusted to fit. 2 out of 3 wasn't bad :)

I could turn it the other way around (the low brace) however it would cause it to be the lowest point in the car ..

• Like 1

Josh, Keen. Call me when you are heading there? I will be up to sweet nothing tomorrow. ACC owns me at the moment. 0212139081

Edited by KSMYRS

Ill need to update the article now :P

haha .. Was gonna send you a message that its now doing 1:19.1 around hampton .. might even top out that number on the 12th march. But a nice little stat for the article :D

I think the chassis stiffening solution is a roll cage Josh!

hehe .. yes yes .. but what would I do when its a weekend car .. loose my back seats :(

Does you front strut bar ride up on the stiffening "lumps" in the top of the front struts?

Just went to install mine and I rekon it fits like sh*t, and with the big slotted holes I doubt its gonna do jack in terms of resisting movement, all its doing is trying to snap the studs of the struts..

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....st&p=398995

Wondering if the strut tops on your e30 are different too mine, or you have a different brace??

Edited by Jacko

^ nup, but thats not the problem, check out the pic in the link.

My 'humps' didnt look as big as yours .. I just tightened it down. Tested it out at the track day and it didnt shift under load from the slicks so its good :)

PS you wont snap your bolts if you pack them with shims as the load is minimal betweek 5mm. It would take more than the car could throw at it to snap hi tensile bolts only at 5mm.

Time for some new goods.

Brake bias valve to dial out some rear brake pinching under hard braking when the tanks half full.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

annnnd finally got this done .... makes a crap load of difference .. like driving the car at winter time. Floor it in the first 3 gears = wheel spin

Stoked.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow that Cold Air box looks very nicely made. My oven trays crudely bashed into place and rivetted together are quite jealous!

Very nice Josh, how does the induction noise compare to the other E30S50 ;)