Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Operation: Weapons Grade

Did you end up chopping a section out of the seat brackets and re-welding them to get the seat lower?

Ended up using half of the frame (rails half) and Brendan made up a new frame for it and drilling and shaping the side brackets. Keeping all the adjustiblity but none of the height.

He has them in his toyota ae86 drift car and is the same height as me so got it as low as possible. Really love the new position now makes you feel alot more confident around corners etc.

That wiper motor was a bit of an impulse buy, but worth it I think.

^

The wiper was a good investment regardless, there's not many '92 DTM parts floating about.

I was going to buy it and just shelve it for when I get another E30 M3

Badass, my single wiper came out of my hilux. It caught fire.

^

The wiper was a good investment regardless, there's not many '92 DTM parts floating about.

I was going to buy it and just shelve it for when I get another E30 M3

I do wonder though - perhaps there are actually quite a few '92 DTM parts floating around in people sheds "waiting for the day".

Dig the Recaro.

Are you going to space the steering rack down to get a better angle?

Hmmm will see how I go, Im 6'2 so the old legs are fairly close the steering wheel anyways, I kind of like the angle and height as its more of a hillclimb/rally postion where your arms are quite bent which allows you to control the wheel a little bit better if you get into a slide. It suits the dtm shifter position too.

I do wonder though - perhaps there are actually quite a few '92 DTM parts floating around in people sheds "waiting for the day".

There are (race spares) but its the type of thing that never makes it to trademe if you get what I mean. I was expecting a little bit of hate mail about it as its not exactly going onto a original DTM car.

Awesome, how much weight did you save swapping the seat?

Not sure yet .. but if you can imagine going from something that take two hands and a bit of omph to move around to something that you can lift with your baby fingre Im expecting 20-30 ? maybe. Will weigh it all tonight and report back.

On the track I wont be running a passengers seat.

How are you mounting the rear harness belts? If no cage hope you don't rollover on the track and crush your spine.

Edited by Brams

Factory anchor points with eye bolts for the over shoulders and laps are welded plates and eyebolts as per cert laws.

Im boarder line about the cage for several reasons

Pro:

Safety (car isnt exactly a road car putting around the track anymore)

Chassis stiffness (running slicks great but highlights chassis flex)

Con:

Its not a road car anymore really, convineance factor = gone

Stopping using the car so interest factor drops until track day.

Have watched a few people complete there cars in my time cage it and basically loose interest as they cant practically use it any more.

But yes ... I like my spine so will probably end up caging it soonish

Road interior nearly complete.

Nappa SR2's

Posted Image

Posted Image

Have some other goodies but its pissing down outside and I cant really photo it in the garage .. Maybe tomorrow night.

Awesome love it ! So you going to sell your factory seats ? :P

Yeap factory seats are for sale .. They dont have any bases as I have used the stock rails/mounts for these.

They are in ok condition for 24years old, worn in side bottom bolsters but still work etc.

EDIT: seats now sold

The stock BMW cooler was pissing me off so I replaced it with a big ass Earls oil cooler / lines (under number plate)...which extends up to the top of the bumper with the blue lines through the grill. Its all isolated and rubber mounted as not to twist the cooler frame

You can kinda see the brake cooling ducts.

All set for summer of time attack :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice! Was thinking of replacing my stock cooler as my oil was getting rather hot on the track this year, more than the other trackdays anyway.

Nice! Was thinking of replacing my stock cooler as my oil was getting rather hot on the track this year, more than the other trackdays anyway.

I was about 20C hotter than normal for a trackday, must have been a hot day.

I was about 20C hotter than normal for a trackday, must have been a hot day.

Oh true? I usaully run at 100 degrees on track, was at 110-112 this time round.

Sorry Josh.

Normally the car would operate at 125 .. now its 110.. so the new cooler made a difference.

Im going to try giving it some more flow too to help drop the peaks on the track. Telemetry system is bring up some interesting results.

Write-up/pics to see how you mounted seats with original rails? I have some Suede SR2's that need mounting properly.

Dimensions of old oil cooler please.

Sweet will measure tonight.

Write-up/pics to see how you mounted seats with original rails? I have some Suede SR2's that need mounting properly.

Cool. New brackets were fabbed up. Its not to much effort to un-bolt and photo so will do so tonight.

Normally the car would operate at 125 .. now its 110.. so the new cooler made a difference.

Im going to try giving it some more flow too to help drop the peaks on the track. Telemetry system is bring up some interesting results.

Thought 125 would be border line too much?