Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

Summit Rd Run

Hmm yeah. Dunno. Must be a fan. Im not concerned though.

It appears it was one of the BFC guys, who it seems are not impressed with your judgement.

Got a link to the bimmerforums thread? Had a quick look but couldn't see anything. Interested to read what they thought lol

Got a link to the bimmerforums thread? Had a quick look but couldn't see anything. Interested to read what they thought lol

+1

Seems the Yanks weren't too impressed.

They kinda have a point. Next time a track vid huh?

I haven't got a link sorry, but it's in the Off Topic section, you need to be a registered user to look at it though. Easy sign up however.

They didn't like my steering wheel movements. It's MY driving, I can do it however I like. Didn't know there was a maximum amount of times you could move the steering wheel on a touge style road, they're all experts!!!!!!1111

mate today was such a blast! your car handles amazingly! You must be stoked with the results. thanks again for the fang around, now i owe you one in mine:D

Ahh yes, the ol' 4 corners behind the airport proving ground :D

I take you up on that ride offer haha!

Ahh yes, the ol' 4 corners behind the airport proving ground :D

I take you up on that ride offer haha!

Is that where you made that first video of ur car with the new suspension in it not so long ago Henry?

Just watched the vid. wow

Just read the bfc thread. double wow

Your brave!

Just been o.t.p with Ollie and Riley. Thanks tastic :D

Just been o.t.p with Ollie and Riley. Thanks tastic :D

just got home from OTP where'd you guys hit?

They didn't like my steering wheel movements. It's MY driving, I can do it however I like. Didn't know there was a maximum amount of times you could move the steering wheel on a touge style road, they're all experts!!!!!!1111

American's don't like going around corners so I can't see how they can critique...

man they really don't like that.. i don't think they really have the right to judge.. have they been on that road before? bunch of pussies in my opinion i drive that road a lot and the speed limit is 70 so technically it's kinda legal at times.

[edit] used to be 100 :D

Edited by brockie123

They do have a right to judge - there are other cars on the road.

I also see that Summit Road is used by cyclists quite regularly, and whether you think this is right or wrong there is a reasonable chance you will severely injure one if you do that often enough.

I have to agree with CamB on this one.

Ive sat back and watched this topic for the last couple days and to be honest found it interesting how many people on here condone this behaviour which is wreckless.

This is a public road and you put everyone else who use that road in danger by driving like that. If you happen to make one mistake its all over! If it was a road not used by the public I say go for it because if you cock it up, its only you who's going to get hurt!

TBO you aint no Ari Vatanen, and those driving skills are erratic to say the least.

Keep it for the track.

Edited by 3 SERIES

Can someone please put the bimmerforums link up, i failed at searching for it.

Ive sat back and watched this topic for the last couple days and to be honest found it interesting how many people on here condone this behaviour which is wreckless.

This is a public road and you put everyone else who use that road in danger by driving like that. If you happen to make one mistake its all over! If it was a road not used by the public I say go for it because if you cock it up, its only you who's going to get hurt!

TBO you aint no Ari Vatanen, and those driving skills are erratic to say the least.

Keep it for the track.

I have been doing exactly the same thing 3 series. I too am amazed that people condone this sort of behaviour. I am doubly surprised that a moderator and an admin person have even made comments semi condoning it. I am a keen cyclist as well and have raced MTB nationally in the past, but I know that a 30kg pice of metal with 2 tyres is way different to a 1000kg hunk with 4 wheels!

Henry - good on ya for wanting to put your car through it's paces but please keep it on the track!

Edited by zenetti

Best road in all of christchurch.

Used to spend atleast 4 days a week up there.

Now i have to work <_<

edit..

Also Cyclists.... Its a 100KMPH zone in that direction so any cyclists who ride along there are stupid.

Edited by fuzyfrog

Cars have been hooning summit road/port hills for years, my Dad used to do it 35odd years ago, not saying it IS or ISISNT acceptable, it wont change any time soon though i'd say, people go up there for a good "drive", and always have done

Everyone does this sort of thing on the road at one time or another through the years...racing around, doing skids etc...its all a danger on the road yet alot of people on here do it also

Keep it for the track.

I could say I have made detailed pace notes for this road. I could say they are memorised. I could say I scouted the road first coming the other direction and made a decision that, apart from the gravel, it was safe. I could say there are never cyclists that way because the last track on the west of the Port Hills is 1km behind where the video starts. I could say I have been practising my driving skills since I was a tot, learning car control in paddocks (the best place to learn is off tar seal). I could say I have spent, the last 5 years especially, countless hours reseaching and applying Rally techniques, Track techniques, Formula 1 reaction time building drills, the physics of weight transfer and tire effects and suspension movement/geometry, every, single, day, in theory and practical.

I could say that I'm a huge fan of videos that aren't boring as hell, so I made a lot of interesting steering movements to actually keep people interested (I think it's a boring vid and much better could be made, but just like the first version of anything, it sucks) And the car is highly agile and can take it. Already explained why you must wiggle the wheel to save your life anyway.

But I won't

It would be nice to be born into a rich family, and to have driven full time since turning 11, and to be able to sort out a full film crew and factory team rally car to make an amazing video up pikes peak. Maybe one day yet. But for now I can take precautions, do the research, keep practising after middnight on johns rd braking deeper and deeper into corners, learning something new everytime a tire slides without you wanting it to, and make videos which get a wide range of comments, constructive and not, for people to be amazed at. (The actual amazing videos will come one day ahaa)

The LTSA ensures we have a whole country full of people who know what a f**king stop sign looks like, they don't test for driving skill. I believe I am doing this right.

www.motorsport.org.nz

That is the only way to "do it right" (if you want tarmac rally).

(edit) actually against my better judgement, I'm going to engage with you on this.

Can you point me in the direction of a source of professional driving instruction that suggests inducing understeer mid corner to test grip levels is valid? Quite frankly, that sounds completely like BS and is at odds with my own driving experience.

Edited by CamB

The road surface constantly changes up there, lots of different grades of tarmac. It's nice to know how much grip is left. And makes for a more interesting video in my own sad way of trying not to bore people. Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLZAizrCSyM

I'm certainly not saying that I am the know-all of driving, far from that, it's just nice not writing off my car when the gravel builds up where you can't see it..