Sign in to follow this  
E30-323ti

E30-323ti Update...

And we hassle poor Westy! - could this be one of the longest running projects ever? :)

:lol: and I hassle Westy...

It's the 'tall poppy syndrome' you see, he actually has some progress, so when it is slower than expected, we haras him.

Where as mine is working on more of a geological timescale, so progress in unperceivalbe and thus shielding me from any flack. Well that's my POV any way.

Coming up to it's 10yr aniversary next year.

And it has been on the road and fully finctional many times over that 10yr period.

It's just never quite right, so I keep tinkering.

Thread is useless without pics!

Amen

Thread is useless without pics!

Tell me about it... Someone needs to pull finger.

You'll be getting harased for sound clips & movie next Westy

Will get some pics up when I've finished the downpipe.

Otherwise it's just like page 1 :lol:

Hey mate been meaning to get in touch and see how the old girl is coming along, nice to see (hear) you have it all mounted now- I did take my one away for New years and then it's back to doing it's job and stopping the dust getting on the garage floor. I think I've already ticked over 10 years with my one. Time is flying!! Will try get in touch for a catch up soon. Daz

Righteo then, a few pics of the limited progress.

Downpipe & Wastegate done.

Bit of a squeeze past what is left of the firewall :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fitted up to the original 3" zorst just nicely

Posted Image

NB. The tilton pedal box will be ~6-8" back from where the accel pedal is now.

PS. Great tube notching/coping app.

Couple of old ones (6/2005 :lol:), not sure if people had seen the rear towers (for running coilovers).

incl rear bracing and diff mount.

Posted Image

Welding to the panel steel was a PITA, was a 2 person job

one holding a big copper bar (as a heat sink) in the wheel well.

Posted Image

Edited by E30-323ti

*like* :D

I may have missed it in the thread - that's a pretty big looking Holset... which one?

*like* :D

I may have missed it in the thread - that's a pretty big looking Holset... which one?

HX35 w/12cm non-WG turbine housing. WG is a Tial MV-R44.

So hopefully not too-big.

Is it bad that the first thing I thought was "boy, this guys going to have hot feet" haha

Thats a BIG TURBO!

HX35 w/12cm non-WG turbine housing. WG is a Tial MV-R44.

So hopefully not too-big.

Also running a HX35 with 12cm non waste gated turbo here.. Does yours have the 7 or 8 blade compressor?

These turbos look large, but are deceiving. Boost on my M50 comes on very quickly!

That tube notcher app looks good, I used a similar one for building my manifold collector.

Also running a HX35 with 12cm non waste gated turbo here.. Does yours have the 7 or 8 blade compressor?

These turbos look large, but are deceiving. Boost on my M50 comes on very quickly!

That tube notcher app looks good, I used a similar one for building my manifold collector.

Have you had it on a dyno? Be keen to see boost Vs RPM & power/torque of course.

I've got one fron BoostJunky when he did his GT35R+M50B25, looked interesting overlaid on my stock 1JZ graph.

56mm - 8 blade Compressor.

For my manifold (Tri-Y style) I used AutoCAD to model the collectors & 'unwrapped' the solids to make the templates (2x 3 pipes @120° and 15° splays).

That app is nice and quick for 'easy' notches, also like the tubular brace templates it does.

Have you had it on a dyno? Be keen to see boost Vs RPM & power/torque of course.

I've got one fron BoostJunky when he did his GT35R+M50B25, looked interesting overlaid on my stock 1JZ graph.

56mm - 8 blade Compressor.

For my manifold (Tri-Y style) I used AutoCAD to model the collectors & 'unwrapped' the solids to make the templates (2x 3 pipes @120° and 15° splays).

That app is nice and quick for 'easy' notches, also like the tubular brace templates it does.

No dyno yet, but I could post a data log at some point if that is of any interest. What you did with AutoCAD is exactly what I wanted to do, but could never figure it out.

Installing the 6BT next? 1J is for dummy purposes I presume?

:lol:

That's why the towball is still on it, so I can rig up a little seat and drive it like an oldskool tractor.

An N57S might be a little more appropriate, and actually fit.

Wonder if it could wangle into the BMW open class with one, after all, E30's did come with a Turbo Diesel option...

:lol:

nice .. pics! .. now we can egg you on to finish it :D ... its working with westy and his glacial project.

(sorry im only giving what I got for my sh*t 5 year effort :P )

Well overdue for an update.

Been a quiet winter, spending time in the warm with the kids had a bit more appeal than the cold garage.

But it's spring, so lets check out the new growth...

Got the new Firewall & Trans Tunnel folded up, and have started fab'ing into place.

The top half of the firewall is now welded inplace.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next is the trans.tunnel O'Joy

Quick update & pics.

Metal work nearing completion.

Just have the area around the shifter and the steering column to go.

Then onto seam sealing and some rattle can red.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by E30-323ti

do you have a folder or are you clamping it to something with a flat edge and beating it?

Keep up the good work

Update time.

The E30 saw the light of day for the first time in +4yrs.

Found a small dragon lurking in the bay...

Posted Image

And a smaller one making the engine sounds from the drivers seat...

Posted Image

And a couple of the finished tunnel / firewall.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now it's off to get the rollcage done :D

Well, she's back from her holiday at Bam's

Just need to sort out my expired race licence(s) and send off the homologation paper work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Had to dial it back a bit to meet my budget, plus I'm never going to want, get or expect 10/10th out of an old E30 chassis.

So what would have cost a lot more $$ didn't really add any more value (to me).

It is still a pretty comprehensive 8pt cage with nice direct load paths through the main members.

Most of the 'extra' stuff can easily be added later if so desired/needed.

Also, the way Sch A now reads, and from discussions with MSNZ, directly tie-ing the 'safety' cage into suspension or driveline mounting points is a no-no (ie. top of the rear shock-tower, rear subframe attachments, etc...), With the emphasis on occupant safety and not a means to building a half tube frame reinforced chassis, unless you head down the 'free concept' path and prepare all the engineering calcs/certification.

Now I need to pull finger and get the motor & loom back in there *joy*