Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

Some Cool new toys for my 300zx

In between a funny shaped 4 cylinder hiding inside a v6 underneath a bent bonnet I have more good news!!!!!!

well no actually I don't

2 injectors I just switched were found to be leaking from the bodies and my last 2 spares are now fitted to the car.

However this did not fix anything > still just a funny shaped 4 cylinder, I know i have fuel & spark this leaves one dreaded problem

Bad compression on a brand new motor = scary stuff with the possibility of a complete tear down necessary if the compression test comes up bad.

this also means I need to get a new set of quality injectors, from 12 injectors 6 have come up bad this does not look good for the remaining 6 units.

But My lovely girlfriend has been such a champ buying me some big Grunty brake rotors ( 280x32 ) and expensive brake pads for my Christmas present

Bring on the 4 pot upgrade !!!

wish me luck on that compression test I will really be sad if I find a cylinder well down to the others considering it was only the lightest of a hone for new rings

Oh Hell yes Z31 Project is back on track

$30 bonnet for the win !!!!!!!!!!!!!! yus yus yus

She is a little rough and needs one rusty corner fixed

lucky the corner is undamaged to be cut and pasted

and I also have LSD axles built up ready to install my LSD centre in my Diff housing

SWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pics of lsd axles and diff rebuilt to come soon

post-1885-1263868552.jpg

Awesome news!

Did you get 6 decent injectors in there? Is it going any better?

Yeah I got 6 good injectors in there now but I still have some sort of gremlin in there

I have suspisions that i need to measure each installed hight for the valve spring and compare the results incase i need to shim up a particualr valve a tiny bit more to make it seal correctly. ie if one measurement differs a bit I will stick another tiny shim in there to correct this from where the valves have recessed into the head a little bit more from the 3 angle valve grind.

I have built a tool to compress the valve springs with the Heads on the car while a bit of compressed air is pumped into the cylinder to allow me to measure springs and shim heights and hopefully remedy the problem.

So with a hiss and a Roar I hope to be some what road legal in the next couple of months

Well it certainly has been a long break since i worked on my pride and joy project 300zx

$30 bonnet was way to rusty and munted

so last week i found in CHCH a nearly perfect $50 bonnet which makes me very happy

I also rectified the issue as to why it flipped up on me > it now has a correctly working safety catch and latch mechanism.

Now onto the missing issue

After injectors and spark plugs I got it running properly on 5 cylinders and narrowed down the problem cylinder to no1 intake on the passenger side.

we did a home made leak down test by putting compressed air down the spark plug hole with the rocker gear removed so both valves were shut.

like 100psi hit me in face as it came out the top of the inlet manifold running ( 300zx has a lower and upper intake manifold and at the point they split in half there are a single row of 6 inlet runners which the plenum top then bolts onto

so the valve shown appears to have a low spot on the valve seat, I drew 8 dots with a vivid onto the valve seat. Stuck the valve in there and rubbed it around. 7 dots were gone and one dot was faintly showing up.

this should explain why air pressure was escaping the combustion chamber.

it also explains a lot of the rough running as it would have been getting some chronic reversion of exhaust gasses back into the plenum chamber.

Back to the Machice Shop Who did the work, I expect this should be rectified free of charge as the guy seems trust worthy and a general nice fellow.

however I am still up for an expensive gasket set.

post-1885-1272184295.jpg

post-1885-1272184320.jpg

post-1885-1272184327.jpg

Pretty Boring Update

Gaskets Have been Ordered, replacement valve pulled from parts engine heads.

Cylinder head being delivered to Cylinder Shop Tomorow morning.

Progress is being made.

Important stuff that i still need to do

Get some new fuel line

Make a heat sheild for the turbo

Install a water line fitting kit on the turbo

Run the bloody thing in

Get my Nistune ECU back from the guy thats supposed to be soldering it up.

Forget about modifications for a while and enjoy having a car at all.

WOF WOF WOF WOF WOF

Might even try the old "this car has no aftermarker support Install double swaybars trick"

Should work quite nice with the Koni's & Kings and its free.

This weekend

*Reassembled Cylinder Head

*Rebuilt Fuel rail with new 180psi hose and Clamps

*Welded up a new Charge pipe so that it actually fits my new turbo

( this will later be used as part of the inter cooler piping )

*tidied up the MAF to Turbo intake piping with some 3" pipe and some blue couplers to make it look way neater

*Tidied up most of the wiring so its not a mess anymore ( cable ties everywhere , still looks like sh*t meh )

*Fitted my Schneider 28022 springs in place using homemade tool

*tossed on some new plug Wires

painted up some sh*t with the wrong can of paint, oh well i started so I kept going

Pretty much ready to fire it up and make sure it rungs on 6 banners this time and not just 5

but the valve that wasn't sealing appears to be all sorted.

Also purchased some 440cc Injectors from Bronzemfp

Looking forward to fitting these up especially now i have nistune back from my guy at work

oh Yeah Went for a ride in a bad ass SR20det jet boat down my local braided shallow river, good times honing along on wet stones sliding and banging over rocks and doing massive big flick turns

post-1885-1274604310.jpg

post-1885-1274604319.jpg

post-1885-1274604329.jpg

post-1885-1274604340.jpg

that dodgy looking arrangment of metal is my valve spring compresor for changing springs over in place on the car and yes that is my vivid writing on the plenum cover, i decided it quite important to vivid on there that no1 was at tdc on compression stroke & that the spark plugs are not tightened.

Ready to be fired up again something this week and hope to run on all 6 cylinders.

Factory ECU looks pretty spiffy with a USB port snuck in the side eh:?

Edited by Jimmy

Good work man looks to be coming along nicely!!

Yeah - be awesome to see this running properly!

I need a big Grom, Noob, Plod,Bro smack in the face

No1 @ TDC = check

Dizzy aligned properly = check

Fuel in tank = check

Charged up battery =check

Cranked it over

Spark, compression, should be fine...... still not going ..........checks spark.......moves dizzy one tooth forward, moves dizzy one tooth back ( about 2 hours and a couple good rum n cokes later )

gives up and goes into warm house.

Looks and picture on BimmerSport and immediately spots the fuel lines around the wrong way to the fuel rail & FPR.

Edited by Jimmy

Fixed up the Fuel Hose and got it fired up

Still sounds like its missing somewhere, probably a plug wire not pushed on properly or something.

I hope to get this rectified & some new plugs in there

Hydrualic Lifters are all clattering to hell , need to get it warmed up and bleed up with oil so the valves open and close properly.

Will see how it goes over the next few nights

Hydrualic lifters are working correctly, however i never really noticed that the rocker shafts were quite worn and causing all the clatter. So that's nice and easily solved.

According to NZEFI my missfire symptoms seem to align with sensor / engine manage problems and not a mechanical problem. Looks like I could be in for a new AFM , Cylinder head Temp Sensor and Throttle Position sensor.

Will plug in the laptop and do a diagnostic now i finally have my software registration code

Dang more work for you bro! that engines going to be brand new when you done lol

First Update in a long While But i have finally made some progress

Engine now running on all 6 cylinders, 440cc GTR injectors fitted.

Ordered a 3b1 Techedge Data Logger with 12 aux inputs and assiocated wideband oxygen sensor and display gauge.

Found Period Correct Japanese Made Ellipson Mesh 3pc 16x7 front and 16x8 rear rims.

Managed to fix a headlight fault, got all my indicators working, and also fabriacted up a new splash guard / under tray thing to replace the one I don't have.

Feels like I am getting close to WOF & Road tuning,

Even put a new hard drive and fixed the old laptop for this very reason ( worth fixing as it has a serial port and runs windows 7 mint

Please excuse the splash guard, its not bolted down or painted yet.

post-1885-1279277147.jpg

post-1885-1279277157.jpg

post-1885-1279277166.jpg

post-1885-1279277183.jpg

Wow Been Busy on the car since the last update.

* Exhaust head Wrapped & Re Fitted

* Wide band sensor fitted into Exhaust

* Power Wires and fuses run through firewall for data logger

* DIY wheel alignment done

( close enough to get me to a proper laser alignment place )

* Sanded down some surface rust to and sealed it up with sealer NOT regular old primer

* Fittied a Flash new K&N high performance/race oil filter and dropped the running in oil with cam additives for some mineral 15/40 to finish running in before a switch to synthetic Ams Oil

Wired up my new Ignitor module, the old one still works fine but i don't want miss fires under boost in 5th gear at high rpm when something could easily be ruined from it.

This car has also been fitted with a brand new crank angle sensor and other "prone to failure" on old cars kind of stuff

Bled the clutch up & bypassed the stupid clutch damper with a 280zx brake hose, clutch still feels a bit light considering its a heavy duty one. Must investigate this further.

Picked up my 3pc rims, i love them they are pretty dam 80's bad ass.

Center bore needs to be opened up to fit so here is a pic with them held up to the car instead & other misc pics.

tomorrow is day 1 of Road tuning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

To anybody thinking tuning an EFI system is going to be cheap or easy

"cos its a computer and it can just sort itself out"

is way off the mark, it seems you need so much crap to do it.

*Laptop

*ECU which connects to laptop ( http://www.nistune.com is what I used in my original ECU )

*Data Logging unit

*wide band Sensor for Data unit

*Display gauge so the driver can see the air fuel mix ( and back the hell of if it lean spikes or something )

and the hardest part of all is somebody who knows what they are doing.

I don't but my very experienced engineer/fabricator/expert on many things has tuned a lot of cars and is doing this with me.

Posted Image

As you can see here I have added a proper spare tire as the space saver requires pumped up by a tiny air compressor to save on space aka supercar style

Posted Image

Nice work.

This one rules my face. Big smiles and dreams.

Posted Image

that is mean!