Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

Some Cool new toys for my 300zx

Hi all

Just a few small projects for my 300zx

Short block has been rebuilt balanced & assembled, Cylinder heads have been ported awaiting machine work. ARP Rod bolts ect....

Fancy valve springs have arrived From Schneider cams in the USA 110 seat pressure should be good for 7000rpm

Kelford Cams are currently working on a regrind for my own cams.

Adjustable Cam gears, this is an OEM cam gear turned out with a new centre machined up for it, gives 8 deg retard and 5 deg advance and uses 8 bolts rather than 4 or 5 like other cam gears.

Shorty Style Headers, these will be used in conjunction with a crossover & turbo feed pipe routed behind the engine as per oem, they will flow much better than the abortion of a manifold nissan decided to use back int he 80's.

Front Suspension Has been decked out with Koni Adjsutable's King springs and urethane bushings, 300mm & Nissan 4 pot brakes are waiting to be fitted.

I am a CAD student at poly tech this is my own work, please excuse the terrible pics but i am more concerned about detail on a drawing being correct rather than a pretty picture.

Steering Rack has been rebuilt by myself with new seals and bushings complete with new tie rods rack ends and dust boots to cap it all off

Some of you know I sold my E30 a while back as it was too much of a distraction to my Datsun 300zx project.

When complete the 300zx should be a reliable 350 hp

( approx 16 psi on a t3/t4 stg 3 turbine with 60-1 compressor wheel )

with lightening fast spool and massive torque once on boost.

The 300zx shares the same suspension design as an E30 which i now have quite a bit of expierence with. Same camber issues ect. Upgraded sway bars are produced in the USA so I expect to have to bite the bullet and order them partically as I wont be going coil over.

She needs and LSD and saving up the $2500 for a Quaffie Might be worth it in the long run

My Main inspiration is to be able to keep up with Rileys 340i on the track, which will be a MASSIVE achiecement if its even possible. I'm looking foward to having some good battles at ruapuna.

Forgot to mention the Headers & Cam gears are my own design & all other work has been done by myself.

post-1885-1249506374_thumb.jpg

post-1885-1249506443_thumb.jpg

post-1885-1249506463_thumb.jpg

post-1885-1249506477_thumb.jpg

post-1885-1249506493_thumb.jpg

post-1885-1249506526_thumb.jpg

post-1885-1249506582_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jimmy

I just love how compact V6 engines are. Not as cool as a I6, but much more practical. nice CAD stuff!

Looks good Jimmy, glad I can say I helped provide funds for this beast :D

Interesting project, good on ya for doing something completely different.

There was a mint one these at a car show I recently attended, was 100% original n/a NZ new.

Don’t they have about 200hp standard? An extra 150hp reliably will be an impressive feet.

Incary > there was a special version of this car that came factory fitted with a RB20DET it was called the 200ZR Japan model only due to their tax laws for cars 2000cc or under

Forrest > cheers mate i have owned the car for about 3 years rego has been on hold for about 4 years so time to get cracking

Apex cheers mate it is quite different , this car was a factory Turbo manual with the regular options has traveled 320,000 kms but the body & interior are MINT, mechanics were in good order just needing a freshen up.

apart from the tubular headers & inter cooler it will look mostly factory down to radiator cowling and various covers and nick naks.

an extra 150 hp wont be any trouble, i have seen no other engine with 13 head bolts for only 3 cylinders, crank shafts have been known to withstand 9500 rpm without any modifications, the Main bearing caps are all incorporated into one massive girdle assembly which is also very stiff.

very stout over engineering motor , rod bolts are the main weakness, which now have the ARP treatment :D Rods are very beefy Forged ones.

The Americans manage to squeeze 450 Wheel HP out of these motors without opening up the bottom end. This is about the limit for cast pistons on these motors.

Factory is 220 hp Crank about 180 Wheel HP. with 7.8 : 1 compression and 5 psi

Edited by Jimmy

Have been known to withstand 95,000 rpm without any modifications.

Quite impressive! haha

btw, nice project. Something different on this forum. :)

Edited by Nick021

This was a nightmare and I am very proud of the end result. Even more of a nightmare will be to ensure the other side is the correct mirror image. Already my drawing is now out of date due to a number of revision to make fit better around the engine block and heads.

This is the first header I have made, all of this has been done with a hacksaw and some files + a bench vice.

This will be professionally tig welded I'm not game enough to do the welding myself.

post-1885-1249620000_thumb.jpg

post-1885-1249620030_thumb.jpg

Nice. Good luck with the project, those headers look sweet.

Orsum work fella.

Do you want to move this to the project forum? No reason it shouldn't be in there with the BMs.

Cheers Westy that's much appreciated if you would do that.

Done.

Keep up the updates. I like a good Fairlady.

Ported Cylinder heads & Custom Intake manifold setup soon :)

Well Sure has been a busy day

The mission for today was to build the driver side Header and adjust it to clear the brake master cylinder ( its tighter than, well something really tight )

I am hoping there are no issues removing that rocker cover.

I believe with some clever angle fitting I can have plenty of space between the collector and brake hard lines, A fairly thick heat shield will definitely have to be made to go in between.

Otherwise I have run out of materials to build the crossover pipe & braces.

post-1885-1249704190_thumb.jpg

post-1885-1249704215_thumb.jpg

post-1885-1249704276_thumb.jpg

post-1885-1249704315_thumb.jpg

Well Life has been all over the place Recently, not much work on the 300zx but little bits have been achieved.

A while back I Promised some pictures of the Tidied up cylinder heads combustion chambers ect.

Intake ports are all de burred and 80 grid sanding roll finish, Photo does not do the combustion chamber justice that thing is fighting off magpies left right and center.

and randomly i took a pxt of my awesome old school deep dish steering wheel. long

I did some more tidy up prep on the new bonnet. all in all about 10 hours sanding, about 3 hours applying etch primer and re sanding and applying more primer and sanding. Apply regular fill primer on top of the etch primer, then sand and check and sand and paint and sand.

and after all that apply some primer sealer to make sure the porous primer does not get water in it undoing all my work.

I think it came out great, needs to go to the proper car painters for the top coat though.

I do not recommend it though, I hated it.

If i can find some money I can get the cylinder heads Surface Ground, Valves re cut & Seated exhaust manifold face surface ground and the valve guides checked out for straightness & slop

Inbetween this I even Manged to Get an intercooler on my Diesel 4WD

Please Excuse Bad Photo's My camera is broken.

post-1885-1253249645.jpg

post-1885-1253249652.jpg

post-1885-1253249695.jpg

post-1885-1253249712.jpg

post-1885-1253249913.jpg

post-1885-1253249924.jpg

Hell that chamber is shiney, no hotspots and therefore no detonation for you :D

Hows it coming along anyway mate? you get that inter-cooler piping sorted?

Hey Sam the inter cooler piping on the truck is much better, I notched out the pipe and flattened it a wee bit and welded it on and now i don't get any "my engine is going to escape" vibrations.

Back to the 300zx.

Henry that polished chamber represents about 24 hours of my life....seriously............

so i decided I'm going to have the car ready for the December 22nd track day.

less than 90 days to

Machine heads & Assemble the top end of the motor.

Fit new fuel pump & injectors.

Socket my ECU for NISTUNE tuning software ( so NZEFI can dyno it )

change diff oil & put new seals on

Re fit all Anti Roll Bars with Polyurethane bushings & links

Build an Exhaust

Refit the front body work & make up misc brackets for old rusty broken ones.

Build some inter cooler piping for it

Find a Bypass valve that doesn't sound like it belongs on a Skyline

Wheel Alignment

And get it run up & tuned on the dyno.

Its an unlikely Target, but dam I want my car to run the 22nd.

If i can't run it, its going to be there on the tailor for all the bimmersport people to come and have a nosy.

Cheers for the good comments guys,

yeah that is one awesome steering wheel, i have reason to believe its period 80's too

Edited by Jimmy

Sounds good Jimmy, I don't like deadlines I never meet them haha. I like what your doing with this car, nice to see someone going against the grain for a change. Hope you get it done in time :)

Henry

This is a suspension picture just for you,

New Ball Joints, Urethane bushings for the tension rods, Koni SA dampers like your BMW ones, and a a 35mm lowered king spring.

Cambers plates are currently in development for this car by a dude in the USA who runs a CNC business.

The springs are about 30 % stiffer than factory but I still expect to be a bit of a float boat.

I wanted the car road legal before i went with a GC setup.

post-1885-1253777640.jpg

Hey guys

My favorite Update Yet

Got the turbo.

Now I need to build the motor because the cylinder heads have finally made it into Flemings Cylinder Head Services in Chch

I could not be happier right now because the cylinder head man said I did a good job on the porting .

post-1885-1254371358.jpg

post-1885-1254371394.jpg

post-1885-1254371546.jpg

Isn't that AiResearch the original? I remember the ca18et from the s12s ran an AiResearch m10, terrible things. Very cool project and some bloody good work dude, keep it up!