Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

Mobile phone ban for drivers confirmed from Nov 1

Guest Simon*

It will be illegal for drivers to talk or send text messages on handheld mobile phones while driving from November 1, Transport Minister Steven Joyce announced today.

Drivers using handheld mobiles would be liable for an $80 fine and 20 demerit points.

The ban comes in changes to the Land Transport (Road User) Amendment Rule.

"There are a lot of other distractions while driving but handheld mobile phone use has grown to become a significant problem," Mr Joyce said.

"The reality is we need to send a strong signal to all road users that it's not on.

"Texting and driving, in particular, is a total no brainer."

According to statistics supplied by Mr Joyce, there were 25 fatal crashes and 482 injury crashes between 2003 and 2008 where the use of a cellphone or another mobile device was a factor.

The ban will not cover hands-free devices or two-way radio, and there will be an exemption for 111 calls made in emergency situations.

Mr Joyce said the excemption for hands-free devices was necessary because many business and trades people depended on them for work.

Also included in the rule change is a requirement for motorcyclists and moped riders to use headlights during daylight hours.

Source: STUFF.co.nz

How will they prove it?

How will they prove it?

Suggest next time you actually think things through before you post :wacko:

maybe the phone in your hand?? :P

Edited by zenetti

Fair call,

But like what will the cops drive past and see me looking down? and be like woops hes texting.

Pulled

quite possibly but if your phone isn't in your hand (which would be the BIGGEST Giveaway) and instead in your manbag, then you have no worries :D

Edited by zenetti

I always drive with my right hand on the steering wheel and text with my left without even looking. haha

ill be fine lol :)

Okay. So we all have to go out and buy hands free car kits?

http://search.dse.co.nz/search?w=hands+fre...&submit.y=6

Flip.

I wonder if the ol' gps does the trick?

I always smile to myself when i see people sitting in their cars having a talk by themselves.

"Are they using hands free mobile or are they just crazy". ^_^

Edited by MS BM

Yeh, that someone would be me. I wear my handsfree on my left ear. So if you are on my right, you'll think I am a cookoo.

There is no need to all go rush out buying handsfree kits. One must ask if you talk enough to justify spending money on it. Most cellphone have speaker phone function, they are not great but can do the job if you *REALLY* have to talk.

The simplest way is to ignore the phone ring. If it's important enough, they will leave voicemail or will call again. Pull over and stop to check them if needed.

Edited by my_e36

I must be honnest here I have had a few close calls while texting and driving. I can text without looking but always have to check that I have written the msg correctly lol. But I agree with Brook here... how is a police officer going to tell if your texting, Speaking on the phone yes that obvious.

I'll just add in putting your phone on speaker phone and putting it on your lap or wherever is gonna be banned along with texting and talking on the phone. <_<

It will be illegal for drivers to talk or send text messages on handheld mobile phones while driving from November 1, Transport Minister Steven Joyce announced today.

Drivers using handheld mobiles would be liable for an $80 fine and 20 demerit points.

"Texting and driving, in particular, is a total no brainer."

Source: STUFF.co.nz

Good move. There are far too many silly accidents where mobile phones are involved.

How will they prove it?

People will have a mobile phone up to their ear, lol.

It's not that hard to tell if someone is txting either.

Laurence

Anyone know any bluetooth handsfree car kits compatible with the original iphone?

Most cellphone have speaker phone function, they are not great but can do the job if you *REALLY* have to talk.

Apparently that is illegal too, they are forcing us to buy a hands free kit.

Anyone know any bluetooth handsfree car kits compatible with the original iphone?

I don't know for sure, but I think the BlueAnt ones will work.

I don't know for sure, but I think the BlueAnt ones will work.

All of them are it's just a bluetooth connection...

Yet to find one that doesn't work with the standard bluetooth connections..

Folks,

Dont go rush out and by any kits or head sets just yet, there hasnt been any definition on what products are actually going to be legal.

I have queries with the ministry and with the LTSA for clarification on the legal products, they will get back to me by cob today, will post their response once received.

As for bluetooth stuff, bluetooth is bluetooth etc, if you want to be super sure check the bluetooth profiles for the kit/headset and your handset, they should both have headset or handsfree profiles and you'll be set.

can check bt profiles at www.gsmarena.com (GSM etc) or www.phonearena.com (CDMA).

It has been illegal here too in California since July last year.

My Garmin GPS bluetooth works with my iPhone, so I am sweet.

Gives me an excuse to do the blue tooth in my nav.

DO IT

the voice control of the nav is cool.... "Beam me up Scotty"

Legislation gets finalized and signed tomorrow,

I wonder if they can give you a ticket for holding a block of wood with numbers drawn on it to your ear while driving ?

In court: "The defendant had a block of wood and was talking to himself and imitating ring tones while heading down state highway one"

I can see why they would ban texting as it takes your eyes off the road but talking on the phone isnt really that bad. You can still see where you are going and most of us have enough brain cells to drive and talk to our passengers at the same time. and who in all honesty drives with two hands on the wheel at all times?

Guest FrantiC

Driving with 1 hand is pretty bad in itself..

Try busy town driving with 1 hand, Trying to change gears, turning etc etc. And some people get sooo into their nice conversation's they don't pay attention..

Just had some *($*(% nearly run me over in the street because he was too busy typing into his phone and not watching where he was going. After I told him to put the phone down as he drove past he had the cheek to stop his car and chase after me to give me a mouthful.

He looked really hard until he got right into my chest and realised that at 5'8 he had no chance against my 6'5. Still give him his dues he found a step to stand on to try and even it out.

I gave him a mouthful of my own and just turned and walked away leaving him spluttering at no-one.

Its c(&*)ts like that who really dont deserve to be on the road. Cruising through a busy intersection in town whilst typing on his phone....I shouldve decked the fecker.