Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

Mobile phone ban for drivers confirmed from Nov 1

I wonder if they can give you a ticket for holding a block of wood with numbers drawn on it to your ear while driving ?

You probably would be. It's all about distracting the drivers concentration on the road.

Guest FrantiC

I wonder if they can give you a ticket for holding a block of wood with numbers drawn on it to your ear while driving ?

You probably would be. It's all about distracting the drivers concentration on the road.

"The defendant was seen to have had his WOOD in his hand pressed against his ear and mouth while driving.."

:rolleyes:

Im a big one for making calls and texting while driving.

will admit texting has caught me out a few times and nearly crashed,

but i really think it should be banned outright cause in reality why do we need to text or ring while we are driving unless its a emergency

and the proof shows us outright that no matter what hands free buting it by your ear that you loose most of your concentration from driving.

i mean it was proven that its safer to look at your phone and text while driving than to not look and write it without looking cause you think more about what you are writing than driving. lolz

anyways most other countrys have had bans for years and most roads in nz have places you could pull over to text for call if you really needed to.

any ways we are going to have to deal with it either way, - flag this rule and change it so if you see someone going to drink drive you can do a citizen arrest (cause we all know drunk drivers are worse than phone users)

I can see why they would ban texting as it takes your eyes off the road but talking on the phone isnt really that bad. You can still see where you are going and most of us have enough brain cells to drive and talk to our passengers at the same time. and who in all honesty drives with two hands on the wheel at all times?

Studies show it's not the holding of the phone, its the talking. When talking to passengers, they react to the road stimulus as the driver does - pausing in conversation when added concentration is required and pacing the conversation to the road conditions. All subconsciously.

This doesn't happen on a phone.

I notice the difference in recollection of hazards between talking to passengers and on the phone even though I talk on the phone frequently whilst driving.

I do it, yet I agree with the ban to a certain extent.

Studies show it's not the holding of the phone, its the talking. When talking to passengers, they react to the road stimulus as the driver does - pausing in conversation when added concentration is required and pacing the conversation to the road conditions. All subconsciously.

This doesn't happen on a phone.

I notice the difference in recollection of hazards between talking to passengers and on the phone even though I talk on the phone frequently whilst driving.

I do it, yet I agree with the ban to a certain extent.

But remember: handsfree allows two free hands to control the vehicle - ever tried changing gears, indicating, and driving around a roundabout all at the same time, one handed?

Ever since I started using a proper handsfree kit in my car about a year ago, I really understand the difference between holding the phone to your ear, and a proper handsfree kit 8sound over radio, controlled by radio volume control, etc)

The idea behind this new legislation is great, but its flawed and won't change anything. Calling realy isn't a problem, as somone stated, it's the talking that distracts drivers focus (not the physical holding of a 100 gram device), why not just ban passengers?... possibly if driving a manual holding a phone doesn't help (but then again most manual drivers are smart). As for txting, well if your stupid enough to text now, your gona be stupid enough to do it after Nov 1st, and hows any cop going to see somone txting, they don't have laser vision. I guess it's can only do more good than harm, but why not spend the time and money rulling out 20inch crhomes and quad big-boy exhausts, there far more anoying.